Sociology 101: help!

elimc

Newcomer
I know that there are a lot of smarties here, and my feeble mind cannot handle everything I've been learning in sociology. Please help me to understand these follwing terms. I have a lose definition of each of them, but I don't really feel like i understand them:

Post-Modernism
Cultural Relativism
Ethical Relavitism
Lifeworld
Systemworld
Christian Exstentialism
Ontological Objetivity
Ontological Subjectivity
Epistemological Subjectivity
Burgeois
Ethos
Pathos
Anathema

Oh, and Logen says:

logen99999 over at that place I can't go anymore since they permabanned me said:
Postmodernism is a recent way of thinking that does not believe in social science or science in general. It influenced literature, art, and politics heavily. I think it argues that scientific knowledge is a spawn of social bias and economic interests.

Cultural relativism in a non biased look at a certain culture, the same applies for ethical I think, bleh

christian existentialism is I think something like a isolated belief and trust in the Christian way of life. ontological objectivity and subjectivity I think deals with the nature of being either of the two.

bourgeois means citizen, like Bourgeoisie being the oppressed group according to marx.

i understand anathema as a curse of some sort, used in folk lore.

ethos are the traits of a culture or a group of people

pathos has to do with art I think, not sure exactly your best bet is too look some of these up, or check the back of your book for definitions.

digitalwanderer said:
Oh, and Logen says:

logen99999 over at that place I can't go anymore since they permabanned me said:
Postmodernism is a recent way of thinking that does not believe in social science or science in general. It influenced literature, art, and politics heavily. I think it argues that scientific knowledge is a spawn of social bias and economic interests.

Cultural relativism in a non biased look at a certain culture, the same applies for ethical I think, bleh

christian existentialism is I think something like a isolated belief and trust in the Christian way of life. ontological objectivity and subjectivity I think deals with the nature of being either of the two.

bourgeois means citizen, like Bourgeoisie being the oppressed group according to marx.

pathos has to do with art I think, not sure exactly your best bet is too look some of these up, or check the back of your book for definitions.

You were permabanned? Oh, dear. I figured they'd let you back in a few months or so. That's what normally happens.

digitalwanderer said:
Oh, and Logen says:

Eheh, not many correct answers there... :p

Post-modernism isn't something you can put a finger on that easily, it just means 'what comes after modernism', where modernism is the late 19th-century 'age', if you will. Modernism is/was the belief that progress through science and technology would inevitably lead to a utopia(look at Jules Verne, H.G. Wells). Well, the world wars took care of that naive optimism... Post-modernism is about disillusionment, realism, existentialism. Where Modernism saw the world inevitably going towards a future utopia, post-modernism sees the world inevitably going towards a dystopia, i.e. everything WILL go to shit, which you certainly see influences of in contemporary culture, I'm sure.

*blank* relativism sort of means objectivity, but those who spout it the most like a catchphrase(mainly conservatives), have a slightly different meaning to it. Cultural relativism is that you don't judge any culture, it's theirs and we have ours. To some, this is cowardice and say that some cultures(notably their own) are superior to others. They call the former relativism.

Ethos is a code, abstract or concrete, by which you do things/lead your life/sees the world. So that was right, sort of.

": the distinguishing character, sentiment, moral nature, or guiding beliefs of a person, group, or institution" - Webster dictionary

Pathos means compassion and empathy. When you say someone have a strong pathos, you mean he genuinly care for fellow man.

Bourgeois doesn't come from Marx, but from the French word for city-dwellers. It came to mean the old middleclass, the businessmen and white-collar of the day that wasn't aristocracy. That was what Marx meant.

IST said:
You were permabanned? Oh, dear. I figured they'd let you back in a few months or so. That's what normally happens.
Yup, normally it does...but I had it explained to me quite emphatically that I will not be allowed back unless I apologize to MonkeyNuts, which I don't plan on doing in this lifetime. (BTW-He's on a weeks ban currently for being such an anal pain-in-the-ass, no pun intended)

On the soc stuff, I can't decide if I like or hate people trying to get their homework done for them online....but when I see it posted at more than one of me usual haunts I question it.

It's not that I'm trying to get out of doing my own homework, I just learn a lot better if I get the answers from other people. Some sociology professors web site with an elistist attitude, using atiquated words to show that he's the real deal is not going to help me understand what cutural relativism is. Also, I can't ask questions back and get feedback to make sure I understand what someone is talking about. Sorry if I am not as smart as you guys. I have a tough time rapping my mind around some of these concepts since they are completely foreign to me.

It might help if you ask more specific questions. People will be more willing to invest time in answering your questions if they can see that you've put some effort into finding the information by yourself.

Back