So what do you think this might be?

Perhaps a push for more political correctness?

Although M$ getting into the pc business is likely. They already make a console (xbox), they may as well make a more powerful console (M$-PC) for people who think even windows is confusing.

EDIT: It would be funny, though, if they decided to go the route Apple's been persuing since their inception; fully proprietary hardware designed for your 'lifestyle'. Hmm... Maybe Jobs was right all along?

Jimmers said:
Although M$ getting into the pc business is likely. They already make a console (xbox), they may as well make a more powerful console (M$-PC) for people who think even windows is confusing.

It would certainly make it more straightforward for them to push lock-down technologies. Can't really see MS going head-to-head with Dell though, can you?

Jobs was kinda right, but the PC market wouldn't be what it is today if it wenre't for microsoft. In effect we've been forced down the least linera path and I think we have benefitted. Society as a whole has realised the impact IT has had and especially with PC's and such like. Before too long though PC's are going to diverge back into a household device, before the seamless connectivity of devices really kicks off.

nutball said:
It would certainly make it more straightforward for them to push lock-down technologies. Can't really see MS going head-to-head with Dell though, can you?

I think they have more than enough cash to sell PC's at a sharp loss, just to get a leg up on Dell in marketshare. It's the proprietary hardware that make me worry though.

Well I did a search for IDSA since it's prominent on the website and found this.

About The Interactive Digital Software Association

The Interactive Digital Software Association (IDSA) is the U.S. association exclusively dedicated to serving the business and public affairs needs of companies that publish video and computer games for video game consoles, personal computers, and the Internet. IDSA members collectively account for more than 90 percent of the $6.9 billion in entertainment software sold in the U.S. in 2002, and billions more in export sales of U.S.-made entertainment software.

The IDSA offers services to interactive entertainment software publishers including a global anti-piracy program, owning the Electronic Entertainment Expo trade show, business and consumer research, government relations and First Amendment and intellectual property protection efforts.

Funnily enough .. I've also noticed that the main page has this stated.

The Interactive Digital Software Association has changed its name to the Entertainment Software Association. The new website URL for the ESA is www.theESA.com. Please update your bookmarks. You will be redirected to the ESA website in 10 seconds.

Weird.

US

Back