So I bought Vista at midnight opening here in Aus last nite

I don't have a problem with bluray or hddvd in the same way I do with the thought police built into vista. For starters I don't have to buy/watch these movies. DVDs will continue to be the mainstream format for at least the next five years if not more I believe.

Second the DRM stuff in these disc dformats is only to prevent copying. I plop one of these discs into a player and my PC rig isn't immediately bumped back to SDTV res and my digital out soundjack tunred off just because my DVI hookup doesn't have HDCP.

It's UNREASONABLE that the content industry get to wield such enormous power over how pwople use their own PCs through vista. It's completely out of hand.

Peace.

I don't have a problem with bluray or hddvd in the same way I do with the thought police built into vista. For starters I don't have to buy/watch these movies. DVDs will continue to be the mainstream format for at least the next five years if not more I believe.

Second the DRM stuff in these disc dformats is only to prevent copying. I plop one of these discs into a player and my PC rig isn't immediately bumped back to SDTV res and my digital out soundjack tunred off just because my DVI hookup doesn't have HDCP.

It's UNREASONABLE that the content industry get to wield such enormous power over how pwople use their own PCs through vista. It's completely out of hand.

Peace.

Sorry, but what you just said IS because of the DRM in Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. It is not because Microsoft thought it a good idea to make you watch at SDTV resolution because your monitor is not HDCP. That is the DRM that MS has to put in order to play back those files on your computer.

Microsoft is always screwed either way in these. If they did not include it then users could not legally play back the content, since they did include it then they get bashed for including it because people don't know who to blame.

I hate DRM, and if you don't want it than vote with your wallet and spread the truth about it.

MS has lot of clout. It was within their power, if they wished, to turn around to the providers of "content" and tell them to rethink. The DRM requirements have, by many accounts, had a quite significant impact on the complexity of their new operating system and, I'm presuming, therefore cost them a good deal of money to implement.

Why did they not do this? Is HD-DVD/BRD playback really such a critical element of PC functionality?

Sorry, but what you just said IS because of the DRM in Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. It is not because Microsoft thought it a good idea to make you watch at SDTV resolution because your monitor is not HDCP. That is the DRM that MS has to put in order to play back those files on your computer.
I didn't know vista came with software to play Blu-ray and HD-DVD. Because clearly on the player software needs to do this. It doesn't need to be intergrated into the OS as there are Blu-ray and HD-DVD player software for XP.

So clearly all this DRM isn't needed in VISTA except maybe for the media centre version end of story.

http://www.cnet.com.au/hometheatre/mediacentres/0,239035725,240092160,00.htm
The version of Windows Media Player that will ship with Windows Vista won't include playback support for either Blu-ray or HD DVD movie titles.
"In box we have the Microsoft VC1 decoder...but in order to do playback [of Blu-ray and HD DVD titles] you will need a third-party player such as...PowerDVD from Cyberlink," Mark O'Shea, OEM Systems Engineer for Microsoft Australia told CNET.com.au.
Okay there you go Vista won't play it therefore VISTA isn't the player therefore there is no need for the DRM stuff it can all be included in the player. Unless your all gonna tell me that the Cyberlink players on XP are illegal.

Sorry, but what you just said IS because of the DRM in Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. It is not because Microsoft thought it a good idea to make you watch at SDTV resolution because your monitor is not HDCP.
Actually as already pointed out vista can't play back either of the two new HD disc standards. And I don't hve to stick the disc in my PC tp begin with I could stick it in in a standalone player.

The DRM junk is most certainly in there because MS awnts it there. Tgey strive for greater and greater control over peoples' systems they are (one of) the backers of thiis whole "secure computing" concept. Remember they also want to make their OSes subscription based instead of a one-time sum as is now. They need the DRM junk to do this in a nonhackable manner.

Why I am so sure this is exactly what they want? Well for starters theyt haven't retrofitted it onto XP. If they HAD to they would have or no BR/HDDVD fior XP..

It's clear to me MS is steering us down a slippery slope where we give up control little bty little and put it in the hands of big business. The secure computing crap is slowly creeping onto PC mainboards and harddrives also. It's a slow multipronged attack on our freedom and liberties. :(

Peace.

Actually as already pointed out vista can't play back either of the two new HD disc standards. And I don't hve to stick the disc in my PC tp begin with I could stick it in in a standalone player.

The DRM junk is most certainly in there because MS awnts it there. Tgey strive for greater and greater control over peoples' systems they are (one of) the backers of thiis whole "secure computing" concept. Remember they also want to make their OSes subscription based instead of a one-time sum as is now. They need the DRM junk to do this in a nonhackable manner.

Why I am so sure this is exactly what they want? Well for starters theyt haven't retrofitted it onto XP. If they HAD to they would have or no BR/HDDVD fior XP..

It's clear to me MS is steering us down a slippery slope where we give up control little bty little and put it in the hands of big business. The secure computing crap is slowly creeping onto PC mainboards and harddrives also. It's a slow multipronged attack on our freedom and liberties. :(

Peace.

Then stop buying it is all I can tell you. I have, I have not bought a Microsoft product (Before any more questions, my copy of XP and Office are 100% legal) besides a few games published by them since Windows 98. My main OS these days is Ubuntu (Linux) and the only reason I have XP is for games.

DRM is an assault on our rights when purchasing media. At some point I personally think it will break and hopefully that point is soon.

While still on the topic of DRM, is it true that Vista will auto-delete any file that it considers "illegal"?

You only have to look at all the new measurements that have been put in place the past year by M$ to try and stop piracy to understand why they decided to support DRM fully, even though it's an ultimately futile approach that only alienates their paying customers. Instead of trying to turn the things people have been complaining about around they make matters worse ten fold because they would rather reap the profit from general sales to people who don't know any better through the likes of Dell, etc.

Back