Slightly Mad announces Mad Box, the most powerful console ever created --standalone, VR-supportive

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Cyan, Jan 3, 2019.

1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Most concepts are impractical and only tend to convey ideas.
    That's why they're called concepts.

Spoilers in home electronics make little sense and are IMO ugly, but they do tend to appear on some "gaming" PC cases. And the older Mac Pro.

milk likes this.
  2. goonergaz

Veteran

No company would be stupid enough to release such a console...

[​IMG]

3. manux

Veteran Regular

60Hz in vr flickers like hell. For me 90Hz starts to be decent but I wish for 120Hz for future headsets.

4. xz321zx

Newcomer

Foveated displays are different, because peripherial refresh can be decoupled (point 5):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flicker_fusion_threshold

5. manux

Veteran Regular

You would still need refresh rate of panels be high and selectively upgrade some pixels less often. Or you could try something like what varjo is doing but that will not hit console price points any time soon.

If you don't have that high refresh rate panel and black between refreshes things will look like shit when user moves head.

6. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

you are saying it all, oligopoly is worse than monopoly. At least with a monopoly you have no option but to abide by the rules of a company, with an oligopoly you think you have freedom but you don't.

In addition, you mention research and risk. You loved Larrabee, iirc, and that could have make for a very interesting console. So just imagine you start building Shifty Geezer's favourite console ,with a Larrabee like processor philosophy in mind, and you offer a product that everyone likes not because of the innards but because it is special. The developers would stop being lazy and work on that hardware as if it was their favourite hardware.

Taking into account the current era, a Xbox One X, with little tweaking, could perfectly emulate PS4 and PS4 Pro, imho. And the companies creating videogames are way too agreeable to each other, save for a few tantrums here and there, which tells a lot about the current state of things.

You are right in the infrastructure thing. Ideally it is going to be just a PC like the Subor Z (discovered it in @DieH@rd 's video, never knew about if before, and it's not half bad. nVidia could make something similar with Slightly Mad studios, but I guess they would ask for a name change, to say the least. Mad Box is so unimaginative and plain....

vipa899 likes this.
  7. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

a co
    that could be a very interesting idea, a dual boot machine with a core W10 OS console without all the bells and whistles of a full-fledged OS, which means very little resources used, and a full fledged OS for everything else -you could even game on that of course using Steam-.

Given the fact that W10 is proprietary, MS could make a console like that, but I think they would send them to court.

orangpelupa likes this.
  8. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

a dashboard mode sounds even better than a dual boot. But I am going to be a bit skeptical like Shifty and say that the idea is to use as little memory as possible. Games need a lot of processing power. Still, it is curious that many games run so well, yet there ar pages on the internet which don't show a lot and are slow as hell, but that's off-topic..

9. xz321zx

Newcomer

The lg/google prototype has non-fixed fovea region, with high native resolution it's a question of interface (and tracking) and it's not like high resolution isn't in demand - usually at the expense of refresh rate . It's an another question whether mass production optics can support it.

10. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Like Sony's Batarang PS3 controller.

[​IMG]

Shoujoboy, Silent_Buddha and Malo like this.
  11. Tkumpathenurpahl

Regular Newcomer

I'm one of seven people on Earth who actually likes that controller.

DSoup and vipa899 like this.
  12. milk

Veteran Regular

It doesn't look bad, if you are ok with more extravagant designs, which I sure am, but I cannot imagine the ergonomics of that thing ever working.

13. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Thought it looked cool first time i saw it before PS3 was official, now not so :p Would be suicide for Sony if they introduced this for PS5 though lol.

Tkumpathenurpahl likes this.
  14. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

btw Switch is pretty much using the standard tegra right? and its doing well. so the hardware itself probably wont be a problem even if they didnt do much custom design.

15. lefantome

Newcomer

Are we sure this guy is the real guy that owns and manages Slighty Mad Studios?
    I can't believe it.

16. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Slightly Mad has shown what is going to be the final design of the Mad Box. It looks like a sports car to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

As we said earlier, it's a horrible dust magnet that is not suitable for the real world.

18. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

The front has that Enzo in it yeah, maybe :p
    Dunno about having an lcd upfront.

19. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Looks like fish gills

20. Tkumpathenurpahl

Regular Newcomer

It's plagued by the same design philosophy that hurts a lot of gaming PC cases: they try to make them look "futuristic." And it dates them immediately.

It looks like it belongs in one of the alien ships from Independence Day. Tacky.

milk likes this.