Shortages till april?

Powderkeg said:
Yes, but how many games will I play within the next year? If you wait, you'll play none.

And a year from now, when you play that game, you'll have a grand total of 20 hours of gaming on your 360. Me, I'll be in the 200-300 hour range by then, easy.

And how much do you think the price will drop in a year? Any at all? I'm willing to bet that MS won't drop the price a dime unless the PS3 is cheaper.

You are assuming he has nothing else to do with his time. Every person has a different idea of what things are worth, but price isn't always the only reason to avoid being an early adopter. I'd just as soon other people shake the bugs out of stuff before I buy in to a new technology.

The price might not drop much on the system (it most certainly will not go up), but many of the games will be cheaper.

Powderkeg said:
Your position is rendered invalid the moment you suggest Halo was not a "must have" game.

As for me, I've got PGR3, PDZ, Kameo and Condemned comming on launch day with Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Gears of War, and Ninety Nine Nights coming within 6 months after lanch. That's 7 games within the first 6 months.

Now, let's say the average game gives about 20 hyours of gameplay. That's 140 hours of gaming total. On a dollar per hour breakdown, my launch day 360 only costs $2.86 per hour for that first 6 months.

Now, figure out how many hours of gaming you'll miss out on by waiting, multiply by $2.86 per hour, and see if you are really saving as much as you think.

The only thing you are "saving" is yourself from many hours of happy gaming. On a per-hour basis you'll spend more because you'll be gaming less.

One at a time...

I loved Halo, but Halo would have been waiting for me when I wanted a second and third game to play with. I consider Halo a "must have" title, but I wouldn't buy a machine to play just Halo. By the time I picked up an Xbox I had JSRF and PD0 to play with too. And I saved a few hundred bucks.

Regarding your launch titles for Xbox 360, congrats but you're basing it on the fact that these games will be fantastic. I'm sure at least one of those games will be a 90+% review earner, but you're really going out on a limb to assume all of those games will be worth it. Seriously, there's no reviews for any of these games yet. At least wait until you've got a review before claiming your purchase was valid.

I'm seriously happy for you, and if you're happy you've made the right decision that's all that matters. It's not something I'll be doing, and I simply stated my reasons. I'll go spend my extra cash on something else now ;)

Powderkeg said:
The only thing you are "saving" is yourself from many hours of happy gaming. On a per-hour basis you'll spend more because you'll be gaming less.
Hmmm. I could spend $2.86 an hour playing games I don't want to play, or spend that money on other things I do want to do...

I consider not spending money on things I don't want to do as saving money, no matter how economical those things I don't want to do are! ;)

Sis said:
I don't get your logic. Some stores won't be done filling pre-orders till April. How does this equate to "not selling any units"?

Cuz the rummor is that consoles ship will be low,in fact some say 40 some 20 some 60,at 25 consoles how much will it take to fill 100 or more pre-order that many stores had?

More when there is not confirmation on how the consoles will be distributed after launch,a world wide luanch mean you need more untis to fill the gap,and also mean less units per stores.

This would seem to be exactly why they would launch early. Unless you believe Sony will have stock piled 4.5 to 5.5 million units and ship all of them on PS3 Launch Day?

No i realy don't think so but unlike MS Sony is not doing a world wide luanch,and they had a shortage for US with the PS2 but in Japan they did had almost 1 million units for launch,and they can also sell it right away.

jvd said:
there will be plenty of core units for walkins and the cores will sell .

However you do understand that ms is sold out of units from now till most likely january with some stores sold out till april . That means there is a huge demand for thier system and ms is basicly selling as much as they can make.

Who ever buys a core system has a mental problem,if you buy that then you had to buy the periferals apart which MS overpriced on porpuse so that the bundle would look better.

The are many PC lover on this forum,and they most probably know that a $99 for a 20 gb HDD is over priced,and a $99 wireless adapter is off the roof.

No i don't know cuz they had not release figures which is mighty odd,they did release them last time before launch hey did had 300,000+ now they are running silent,which can also mean that pre-orders as not as high as they are hope for.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=23907002

And with rumors like this^^^^ running around is not hard to believe.

Mabye, but looks like its just ms taking a page out of sonys playbook .

Please explain?

Cuz the PSP din't had a shortage in US,it was in Japan and just for december in January it was over,and the PS2 shortage was cuz there was a componets shortage,the fact is that there was a hude demand for the PS2 on 2000.

Last edited by a moderator:
AlphaWolf said:
You are assuming he has nothing else to do with his time. Every person has a different idea of what things are worth, but price isn't always the only reason to avoid being an early adopter. I'd just as soon other people shake the bugs out of stuff before I buy in to a new technology.

That is irrelevent.

The question is, does he really save money by waiting?

My answer is this. If he waits for the first $50 price drop he will only save enough money to buy a single game, but he loses out on hundreds of hours of game time.

On a $ per hour basis he is getting less for his money than I am, even though I pay a higher initial cost.

The price might not drop much on the system (it most certainly will not go up), but many of the games will be cheaper.

And I could wait and get those same games at the same price. Or, I could possibly rent them, and play 5 or 6 games for the cost of a new one. Still irrelevent. I'll be getting 300+ hours of gaming out of my system easy before he ever puts his first one in. At best he might save $10-$20 more than me on a few games, but it's still only "saving" him money by costing him time gaming.

Rather than paying for the system he's just paying himself not to enjoy it. In the end, he'll get less enjoyment out of it than I will for the money spent.

Powderkeg said:
My answer is this. If he waits for the first $50 price drop he will only save enough money to buy a single game, but he loses out on hundreds of hours of game time.

No, he does not. Not if there are not enough games that he wants to play before the price drop. You are making an erroneous assumption that there will ALWAYS be games available to him that he wants to play, and that he can always afford to buy more games.

Joe DeFuria said:
No, he does not. Not if there are not enough games that he wants to play before the price drop. You are making an erroneous assumption that there will ALWAYS be games available to him that he wants to play, and that he can always afford to buy more games.

If there are less games then he gets even less gaming time which only increases the cost per hour of gaming.

So, he would pay even more than what I originally said.

That was the point you were trying to make, right?

Powderkeg said:
If there are less games then he gets even less gaming time which only increases the cost per hour of gaming.

So, he would pay even more than what I originally said.

That was the point you were trying to make, right?

??

Look at the total cost of gaming.

Example:

Scenario 1:
* Buys console at $400
* Buys game at $50

Plays that game until he's tired of it...no matter how many hours that may be....say it's 100 hours.

No other games out that he wants.

Scenario :
* Waits 6 months.
* Buys console and game at $400 total.
* Plays that game for the same 100 hours.

Still no other games out that he wants to buy.

In BOTH cases: after the 6 months from launch and the same 100 hours of gameplay later...what are the total costs.

Cuz the rummor is that consoles ship will be low,in fact some say 40 some 20 some 60,at 25 consoles how much will it take to fill 100 or more pre-order that many stores had?

More when there is not confirmation on how the consoles will be distributed after launch,a world wide luanch mean you need more untis to fill the gap,and also mean less units per stores.

Sigh , if ms can only make 3 million units for launch what does it matter if they all go to the usa or are spread out in 3 countrys ? They can still only sell 3 milion units . However at least now its out in a bunch of areas and start getting holiday hype . They will still sell the same .

Its not ms's fault that gamestores took more preorders than they should have. Eb games took orders before it was announced at e3 , before the mtv show even . So how can you possibly blame ms ?

No i realy don't think so but unlike MS Sony is not doing a world wide luanch,and they had a shortage for US with the PS2 but in Japan they did had almost 1 million units for launch,and they can also sell it right away.

and ms has over 1 million units for a usa launch along with 500k for europe and i believe 200k for japan . Sounds much better than what sony did on launch day for the ps2 .

Who ever buys a core system has a mental problem,if you buy that then you had to buy the periferals apart which MS overpriced on porpuse so that the bundle would look better.

The are many PC lover on this forum,and they most probably know that a $99 for a 20 gb HDD is over priced,and a $99 wireless adapter is off the roof.

Why do they have a mental problem . A core + hardrive gives them gaming bliss and costs the same as the premium unit. THe only things you really miss out on are component cables (if u have hook ups for it ) and a head set / remote

Not the end of the world esp if you don't need either of them .

As for the hardrive. Show me a mini hardrive 2.5inchs where a 20gig is signifigantly less than 100$ . I still see them going for 60-70$

Remember these are laptopd drives but oh wait you most likely know that cause your a pc lover on this forum right ?

And with rumors like this^^^^ running around is not hard to believe.

right so the shortages sony reported for the psp were also lies then as they only sold 600k out of the 1 million they shipped that first week. Yet gaming sites and news media sites still reported shortages .

Please explain?

Cuz the PSP din't had a shortage in US,it was in Japan and just for december in January it was over,and the PS2 shortage was cuz there was a componets shortage,the fact is that there was a hude demand for the PS2 on 2000.

Psp didn't have a shortage , though it was reported that it did (i work at a video game store remember) and the ps2 had real shortages because they produced so few . In japan on launch day they didn't even ship 1 million units . Far less than what ms is shipping for the xbox 360 for launch .

jvd said:
As for the hardrive. Show me a mini hardrive 2.5inchs where a 20gig is signifigantly less than 100$ . I still see them going for 60-70$

Yeah but you don't think MS is paying $60-70 do you? You can get a 40gig 5400RPM 2.5" form factor HDD on Newegg - as a consumer - for ~$70. And I know MS could get it for a fair bit less. The only reason they are pricing it as they are is a) money, and b) to justify the price of their memory cards, aka money.

Not that there's anything wrong with that mind you, but trying to defend their hard drive pricing like it's their 'best possible offer' is just a little insane.

xbdestroya said:
Yeah but you don't think MS is paying $60-70 do you? You can get a 40gig 5400RPM 2.5" form factor HDD on Newegg - as a consumer - for ~$70. And I know MS could get it for a fair bit less. The only reason they are pricing it as they are is a) money, and b) to justify the price of their memory cards, aka money.

Not that there's anything wrong with that mind you, but trying to defend their hard drive pricing like it's their 'best possible offer' is just a little insane.

I never said it was a best possible offer.

I just said it isn't as out of line as people think .

100$ is only 30$ more than newegg. The ones on newegg also don't come in a custom case deal . The hardrive also comes with content on them

I believe when the ps2 launched the memory cards were 4mbs ? and they were 35$ usd . Even in 2000 that was extremely expensive for 4mbs

Its just a normal launch. Some people are just getting upset because its ms . Hell even the dc memory cars were expensive

jvd said:
I never said it was a best possible offer.

I just said it isn't as out of line as people think .

100$ is only 30$ more than newegg. The ones on newegg also don't come in a custom case deal . The hardrive also comes with content on them

I believe when the ps2 launched the memory cards were 4mbs ? and they were 35$ usd . Even in 2000 that was extremely expensive for 4mbs

Its just a normal launch. Some people are just getting upset because its ms . Hell even the dc memory cars were expensive

Believe me, no one's defending memory cards. They were proprietary and a rip-off. Luckily, everyone this gen seems to be going away from them. But putting software on these drives and putting them in a custom casing doesn't cost all that much. The thing that aggravates is that they're taking something that otherwise is not proprietary in and of itself and making it so. I mean I don't know if PS3 will be the same way or not - wouldn't be surprised - but doesn't mean that one can't raise an eyebrow over the clear margins extraction.

xbdestroya said:
Believe me, no one's defending memory cards. They were proprietary and a rip-off. Luckily, everyone this gen seems to be going away from them. But putting software on these drives and putting them in a custom casing doesn't cost all that much. The thing that aggravates is that they're taking something that otherwise is not proprietary in and of itself and making it so. I mean I don't know if PS3 will be the same way or not - wouldn't be surprised - but doesn't mean that one can't raise an eyebrow over the clear margins extraction.

why be mad . This is how companys make money. It was okay for sony to do it with memory cards that were small as hell in size but now ms giving you 20gigs of room for only 65$ more than sony used to offer 4 mbs is a great deal . Esp when u consider that it will speed up games

Lets also not forget that through usb if you need more room u can go buy a standard 3.5 inch external hardrive for a 150$ that will be 200gigs and use that for data storage . It wont speed up games , but u cna store music and video on it . So you technicly never really need a bigger drive than 20 gigs

jvd said:
Sigh , if ms can only make 3 million units for launch what does it matter if they all go to the usa or are spread out in 3 countrys ? They can still only sell 3 milion units . However at least now its out in a bunch of areas and start getting holiday hype . They will still sell the same .

I realy don't think MS has 3 million units for the world wide launch,if in fact they had more than 1million i don't think there is going to be a shortage even close to is running around if any at all.

Again they still had not say how many pre-orders they had,which by the same time frame last time it was already know.

and ms has over 1 million units for a usa launch along with 500k for europe and i believe 200k for japan . Sounds much better than what sony did on launch day for the ps2 .

By the numbers retailer are saying they be getting it doesn't look like they had a million for US.

Sony had 980,000 consoles for Japan,and they sold out right away.

Why do they have a mental problem . A core + hardrive gives them gaming bliss and costs the same as the premium unit. THe only things you really miss out on are component cables (if u have hook ups for it ) and a head set / remote

If you buy the core system yet you need every thing on the $399 one,you will spend like $500+ easy,not only you are missing the HDD which is $99 but also the wireless adapter which is also $99 that alone is $500 toss the cables and head set and what you had?

Yeah thats what you had.

Remember these are laptopd drives but oh wait you most likely know that cause your a pc lover on this forum right ?

http://www.upgradehighway.com/clearance/Fujitsu-40GB-5400-8MB-2-5-OEM-Laptop_Hard_Drive.htm

Escuse me twice the size of the xbox 360 HDD for $30 dollars less.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1543849&CatId=0

3 times the size for $10 less dollars,remember that this are drives that you buy on store,which is far from the price MS pay for the one they had.

Also i never say i was a PC lovers no need to get sarcastic.

right so the shortages sony reported for the psp were also lies then as they only sold 600k out of the 1 million they shipped that first week. Yet gaming sites and news media sites still reported shortages .

Escuse me sony say that they would had a million PSP for launch,the only thing about shortages i read was about the EU launch which was push back,and what i already say about Japan not US.

But if you had info share it.

Psp didn't have a shortage , though it was reported that it did (i work at a video game store remember) and the ps2 had real shortages because they produced so few . In japan on launch day they didn't even ship 1 million units . Far less than what ms is shipping for the xbox 360 for launch .

Please share the link of this shortage the PSP had in US which is were sony shiped the million units.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA621362.html

The PS2 was just 20,000 shy of the million and in US the shortage was known to hapen for months,not like the xbox 360 weeks before launch,and they intended to had one million by that time,but due to shortage they had to cut it in half,the fact is that if Sony would had 3 million for launch they would have sold them easy.

I realy don't think MS has 3 million units for the world wide launch,if in fact they had more than 1million i don't think there is going to be a shortage even close to is running around if any at all.

Again they still had not say how many pre-orders they had,which by the same time frame last time it was already know.

Many sources have already claimed slightly over 1 million units .

Why do preorders matter ? I don't recall sony annoucing psp preorder numbers .

Most lkely preorder numbers are messed up as there are two versions of the unit .

So even if ms is shipping 1 million units and they have 1.5 million preorders for premium its going to cause alot of people to stay inside and not go out trying to find a unit and end up buying a core.

By the numbers retailer are saying they be getting it doesn't look like they had a million for US.

Sony had 980,000 consoles for Japan,and they sold out right away.

and ms has more than that for the usa and will be sold out right away , many units were sold out even before launch.

You will see numbers after launch day .

They can't very well release sales data for a date that hasn't happened.

you buy the core system yet you need every thing on the $399 one,you will spend like $500+ easy,not only you are missing the HDD which is $99 but also the wireless adapter which is also $99 that alone is $500 toss the cables and head set and what you had?

Do you need everything on the premium though ? I know personaly i don't (although i have a premium coming in)

Do i need a cheap remote ? No my controler controls dvd playback and other featuers . Do I need a hardrive ? Mabye depends on the type of gamer I am . Do I need a headset ? Perhaps not , once again depends on the gamer I am . Do i need component cables ? Perhaps not , i might not have a tv with componet ins .

Once again premium is not allways ideal for everyone. Someone with 400$ may just get a core unit and game instead of a premium unit with no games .

Ms offered 2 bundles , for you premium may be the best , but for others it may not be .

Escuse me twice the size of the xbox 360 HDD for $30 dollars less.
that is not an sata drive and its data transfer rate is lower its only ata 100

3 times the size for $10 less dollars,remember that this are drives that you buy on store,which is far from the price MS pay for the one they had.

once again ata drive not sata

These are also oems , these may not have the warrentys that the ms drive has either.

Escuse me sony say that they would had a million PSP for launch,the only thing about shortages i read was about the EU launch which was push back,and what i already say about Japan not US.

Shortages were reported in the new york times with storys of people going from store to store unable to find them and also in the record and on online sites talks of shortages were reported.

The PS2 was just 20,000 shy of the million and in US the shortage was known to hapen for months,not like the xbox 360 weeks before launch,and they intended to had one million by that time,but due to shortage they had to cut it in half,the fact is that if Sony would had 3 million for launch they would have sold them easy.
xbox 360 shortages have been known for a long time. Gamestop has known since may .

Ms will have 1million units in the usa .

Fact is if ms had 3 million for usa only they would have sold them easy too .

Stop with the ****** act.It gets old and tiring

Back