Sharp develops 1,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio LCD

london-boy said:
Makes you wonder if they fixed the biggest prob with LCDs, the black levels.

Hmm, don't you consider the native resolution a bigger problem? As in, as long as you have a system to run your games at the LCD's native resolution = heaven, otherwise, the monitor becomes yet another bottleneck for your system?

Thanks for the heads-up though.

Mordenkainen said:
Hmm, don't you consider the native resolution a bigger problem? As in, as long as you have a system to run your games at the LCD's native resolution = heaven, otherwise, the monitor becomes yet another bottleneck for your system?

Thanks for the heads-up though.

Well, this set is fully 1920x1080 so it should be fine with HDDVD/Bluray and any PC connected at that resolution. Any 720p feeds from consoles and HD broadcasts will look mighty fine still, although i don't expect shitty SD material to look good. Afterall, who would buy such a set and watch Freeview or RF stuff on it?!

You can tell it's Japanese by the title of it:

“Mega-Contrastâ€￾ Advanced Super View Premium LCD

That's as many letters/designations as they put on their cars.

Cheers
Gubbi

Pretty light on details unfortunately. I wonder if this is new technology, or sharp's implementation of the LED backlight design...

Nite_Hawk

Nite_Hawk said:
Pretty light on details unfortunately. I wonder if this is new technology, or sharp's implementation of the LED backlight design...

Nite_Hawk

It says LCD... I'm sure we'll hear more about this, especially what the catch 22 is. I mean it's all fine and dandy to claim 1000000:1 CR, but i wanna see what the cost is in terms of price and also in terms of how-do-they-do-that-there-must-be-something-wrong... :D

you might want to read this: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/10/03/brightside_hdr_edr/1.html

BrightSide are claiming to have the world's first HDR display. They've got what they call a 'somewhat infinite' contrast ratio of 200,000 (1/5th of the Sharp contrast ratio) and a brightness of 4000cd/m² (8 times that of what the Sharp display can achieve). We got hands on with it a couple of weeks ago.

The image quality delivered by the display is superb. Blacks are truly black since they've got a ratio of 0-4000cd/m². ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
bigz said:
you might want to read this: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/10/03/brightside_hdr_edr/1.html

BrightSide are claiming to have the world's first HDR display. They've got what they call a 'somewhat infinite' contrast ratio of 200,000 (1/5th of the Sharp contrast ratio) and a brightness of 4000cd/m² (8 times that of what the Sharp display can achieve). We got hands on with it a couple of weeks ago.

The image quality delivered by the display is superb. Blacks are truly black since they've got a ratio of 0-4000cd/m². ;)

Cool! Wonder how they got round the black levels issue... I mean, i wasn't sure LCDs would ever get rid of it, it's just the way they are, i thought the backlight would always get trough even just a little...

AFAIK, the Sharp only goes down to 0.0005cd/m² - I'm not sure how they've got around it though. I'm definitely intregued.

[EDIT]

It's explained on this page: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/10/03/brightside_hdr_edr/6.html

Basically the IMLED matrix means black pixels aren't back lit, so there's no light leaking out if the pixel is coloured black.

[/EDIT]

The most impressive part of the BrightSide display is the high end colours and brightness, whilst being able to deliver true black at the same time. :)

I've not personally seen the display running; Geoff went out to see them in Canada. I'm hoping to see the display in person soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
london-boy said:
It says LCD... I'm sure we'll hear more about this, especially what the catch 22 is. I mean it's all fine and dandy to claim 1000000:1 CR, but i wanna see what the cost is in terms of price and also in terms of how-do-they-do-that-there-must-be-something-wrong... :D

We already heard more about this, nearly a year ago. :D

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16262&highlight=backlight

Basically the idea is that you have a low resolution array of LEDs behind the LCD screen. In very bright areas the LEDS shine brightly and in dark areas the LEDs are nearly off. using this technique, over the whole screen you can achieve very very high contrast ratios because one portion of the screen can have nearly true blacks, while other portions of the screen can be as bright as the backlight and LCD allow. The downside is that because the LED array is low resolution, the contrast ratio over only a small section of the screen will be much lower. The good news is that the eye is limited in how much contrast it can discern at once. If you are focusing on a bright light, you naturally can't make out shapes in the shadows right behind it very well. For this reason, the technique ends up working very well so long as the LED backlight has enough resolution to fool the eye.

Nite_Hawk

Sounds great for video, dunno about computers and image work.

I was at a local electronics shop few weeks ago, dozens of lcd tvs on display, most were tiny things with not so tiny price tags, and the image quality for just about all of them was from crappy to adequate. There was one 50" lcd tv there that looked amazing, cost as much as a used 2000 car though.

I'd say hold off on any new tv purchases for a few years, they have to settle down in terms of technology and copy protection standards, not to mention price.

Using LEDs for backlighting in this fashion works well for big screens with high resolutions but isn't cost effective in the least for smaller screens.

AFAIK, the minimum sized screen they can produce is 18", but the cost wouldn't be much lower than the price of the 37" version from what I understand.

All I can say is, 4000cd brightness HURTS the eyes. :oops:

I'm also pretty sure the price tag on those things is going to hurt the wallet! :LOL:

Guden Oden said:
All I can say is, 4000cd brightness HURTS the eyes. :oops:

I'm also pretty sure the price tag on those things is going to hurt the wallet! :LOL:
prototypes are US$49,000.

Ummm, is that price right? $49,000? Wow, what's the point then, I dont see really anyone caring for this for a few years unless that price comes down a amazingly big amount. I'm looking at a possible $500 LCD, let only 49k....

It will come down in price... They can get that much for them now because there is nothing like it on the market. Give it a year or two and I bet you'll start seeing displays with this technology in the same ballpark as current gen stuff.

Nite_Hawk

It seems to work fine in completely dark room but what I wonder is how does it look like in well lit room. Sony's Xbrite technology looked very good at first but it is so shiny that it looks like a mirror in daylight. Complete crap if you ask me. since all the demos/movies in bit-tec review is in dark room environment I wonder how it actually looks in lit rooms.

phenix said:
It seems to work fine in completely dark room but what I wonder is how does it look like in well lit room. Sony's Xbrite technology looked very good at first but it is so shiny that it looks like a mirror in daylight. Complete crap if you ask me. since all the demos/movies in bit-tec review is in dark room environment I wonder how it actually looks in lit rooms.

My guess is that it won't look bad persay, but that it may not appear as dramtic as it would in a darkened room. The xbrite technology if I remember correctly is just a high gloss anti-reflective coating on the surface of the lcd. The idea is that the light isn't diffused as much and as such is supposed to appear crisper and more contrasty. That's rather different from the technology we are discussing in this article.

Nite_Hawk

Back