Second Video Game Recession in the next couple of years. How likely is this?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
There is no way the console crash could happen today. The only thing I can think of is another big publisher going under due to poor business decisions (and some general consolidation in that industry) but thats about it.

The crash happened because of a flood of garbage and clones to the market making it impossible for consumers to know what was good or not so you had consumer and investor confidence tank. You could say the same kinda thing is happening to consumer mobile but those devices aren't primary dedicated game machines and F2P business model at least prevents consumers from buying crap.

Anyway, Nintendo solved that by implementing a licensing software licensing scheme and in general those policies have changed to match the times. Adding to that, the tools, middleware, competitive engine licensing, crowdsourcing, DD, etc has really helped level the playing field for smaller/medium sized developers (not quite independent) to meet consumer demand in graphics while taking risks in the gameplay and subject matter.

Off topic: where did this term AAA come from? I don't recall hearing about it till last console generation and its definition seems to vary as to what is considered AAA or not.

I remember the AAA term existing in the PS2 era. Not sure if it existed even before that

I would welcome a crash if it happened because gamers finally got tired of all the crap the industry pulls and stopped pre-ordering, stopped using micro transactions stopped buying season passes and refused to buy broken games, and that meant publishers died out to be replaced with a new generation of self publishing devs who actually treated their customers with respect....

There could be a crash, everything could get down within the next couples of years.
The fact that there is a market for core high quality games does not preclude the possibility of crash. The risk associated with those extremely high budget games is also extremely high, there are big companies (publishers) that do not make money or lose some.

I expect "things" to happen on a way greater scale than video games in the up-coming years, it will impact video games surely but it makes it complicated to try to insulate the gaming market and its intrinsic dynamics. I think the risks are too big relatively to the rewards though in a booming the issue could be overlooked.

Is there's a crash, it'll only be in the top end. Indies will still be going strong and gaming will remain rich and varied.

yeah on PS2 era i often hear AAA for "big budget title". Never heard it on PS1 era and earlier.
I seem to recall it was in-use during Rare's heyday (N64, maybe even SNES era.) Have no real facts to back it up though, it's just a 'feeling'. :)

Back