Seattle as a vacation destination

RussSchultz

Professional Malcontent
Veteran
Highly recommend it, especially for active people.

There's hiking, biking, camping, and other out-doors-ey sort of things all over the place. The highs in august were in the lower 70's, and it didn't rain nearly as much as I would have thought. (Only one rainy day out of 6).

We stayed in a suburb north of Seattle and did day trips to downdown, Mt. Ranier (St. Helens is near also), and the San Juan Islands. We were pretty busy and easily could have extended the vacation if we had wanted to camp or do longer hikes.

Anyways, vacation pics here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27443745@N00/

My aunty lives near Seatle (in Portland) and I've always meant to visit, but it's a really long trip from England and my girlfriend hates flying. Glad you enjoyed it - your piccies will hopefully inspire me to follow your lead! One day I will go :)

I've just got back from a short holiday in Cornwall, a very scenic part of SW England - there's some piccies here for the curious!

It is a beautiful city. I am here for a week of and was spending a few minutes on the net waiting for my wife before we head down to Pike street for some fresh fish. Russ the sailing around the San Jauns is some of the best. Lots of places to put up. We live in a small town on the way to Mt. Ranier and love the area and the city. Glad you like our neck of the woods.

I would definitely say the west coast in general has some of the nicer cities on this continent. The weather is good, albeit mild, and usually relaxing.

Seattle is close to Vancouver and not too far from San Francisco, and really close to Portland. It has a lot of lush forest around and especially rainforest. Very beautiful.

I'd love to visit Seattle because:

Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Nevermore, Metal Church, Nirvana, Pearl Jam,...

Just to name a few reasons :smile:

_xxx_ said:
Alice in Chains, Soundgarden [...] Nirvana, Pearl Jam,...

Yes, I've always wondered how such a nice and clean city like Seattle could shit out so many fucked-up individuals.

I live in Anacortes, also known as the gateway to the San Juans. I prefer San Juan One myself.

Glad you could come and help clog the roads and make me wait an extra 20min to get a table. And if you drove through the Washington Park Loop, that guy you nearly ran over? Yeah, that was me.

Tourists...

Lead' said:
I live in Anacortes, also known as the gateway to the San Juans. I prefer San Juan One myself.

Glad you could come and help clog the roads and make me wait an extra 20min to get a table. And if you drove through the Washington Park Loop, that guy you nearly ran over? Yeah, that was me.

Tourists...
Nope, I actually hit the one I was aiming for.

Paul Allen's Science Fiction Museum! The original Star Trek captain's chair, Robbie the Robot, Poul Anderson's and Alfie Bester's "grandmaster nebulas". E. E. Smith's marked up manuscript for one of the Lensman novels. Geek heavan! :D

geo said:
Paul Allen's Science Fiction Museum! The original Star Trek captain's chair, Robbie the Robot, Poul Anderson's and Alfie Bester's "grandmaster nebulas". E. E. Smith's marked up manuscript for one of the Lensman novels. Geek heavan! :D
We went there, and I don't remember those items.

The twikki costume was, however. And a full size mockup of an alien.

But no star trek captain's chair.

And no x-files stuff either, which I thought was really wierd considering that show went 8 seasons in Vancouver.

I suprised my wife with a "long weekend" to Seattle a year or so ago. Everybody was like, "where are you guys going?", and when I said Seattle, you should have seen the weird looks I got from people. Mind you, we live in NW Indiana, and peoople around here are pretty ignorant of the world around them.

Seattle was far and away our favorite domestic vacation. Great town, with the only downside being TONS of homeless that badger you at every street corner in the middle of town.

RussSchultz said:
We went there, and I don't remember those items.

The twikki costume was, however. And a full size mockup of an alien.

But no star trek captain's chair.

And no x-files stuff either, which I thought was really wierd considering that show went 8 seasons in Vancouver.

Sonofagun. We were there just the week before, and they certainly were there. I don't recall X-Files stuff tho. Maybe you missed a room.

Yeah, maybe so.

The museum wasn't really set up well in the sense that it encouraged a flow of traffic to see everything.

My personal take on a lot of the props was "holy crap, that looks so cheezy. How did it look so good on the big screen!?".

RussSchultz said:
Yeah, maybe so.

The museum wasn't really set up well in the sense that it encouraged a flow of traffic to see everything.

My personal take on a lot of the props was "holy crap, that looks so cheezy. How did it look so good on the big screen!?".

Because most of it wasn't on the big screen, it was on teeny-tiny screens. Star Trek on DVD on a big screen starts to show the cheesiness.

That space where SFM is used to be something else. I was told by my friend, who works for MS (got a tour of the MS campus(es) as well on that trip) what it used to be, but I forget.

Back