Scheduled maintenance - Saturday 16th May 2015 @ 9am BST

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
I'm going to upgrade us to the latest XF revision on Saturday morning, early here in the UK so as to annoy as few people as possible. Generally upgrades to minor point releases take a few minutes, but the forums might be down for up to half an hour in the advent something goes wrong and I need to roll the changes back.

I always test those upgrades out on a copy of the site beforehand, so things should be fine.

Was there something going on aboot.... 9-9.5 hours ago? Aboot... 5:30AM Pacific. The forums kinda halted on me for aboot 5-10min.

There shouldn't have been. The backups run at 6am here UK time and last about 2 mins, which is the only time there should be any disruption during the day (and the backups are "hot", so the software doesn't actually stop running). I'll poke the logs. What happened for you exactly? Slowness, total unavailability or something else?

Hmm, from looking at the graphs it looks like there was total unavailability for a while, almost exactly 9 hours ago. From the time it started, it looks like there was some planned outage upstream in the network somewhere.

In my deep desire to do absolutely nothing yesterday after a long week at work, I ended up sleeping through yesterday's maintenance window. I woke up in plenty of time, but my dogs came for a cuddle and then all of a sudden we were all snoozing again. Such insight into the life of a Beyond3D Steward.

Anyway, I've just run the tests on the dev box to make sure the upgrade will go smoothly, so I'm ready to do it for reals. So I'll bring the site down for about 10 mins at 11.30 BST (in about 20 mins or so from the time of this post).

I don't really know why I'm writing any of this because nobody cares when I do the maintenance. I think I just like the noise the MX blue switches in my Filco Ninja make, so typing, even if it's just for me, is always a winner. Clickety click.

I don't really know why I'm writing any of this because nobody cares when I do the maintenance. I think I just like the noise the MX blue switches in my Filco Ninja make, so typing, even if it's just for me, is always a winner. Clickety click.
haha so true. It's usually so quick and painless I just do it.

Back