- 1GB of RAM
- 32GB of built-in storage
- 5-megapixel camera on the back, 1.3-megapixel in the front
- 1080p HD video capture support
- LTE/HSPA depending on carrier
- Wi-Fi a/b/g/n
- NFC
- 1,750 mAh battery

The 5 MPixel camera will be an elephant in the room, if confirmed.
The lack of mass storage expansion is also a bit of a let-down (as it was with the Nexus S), since there'll probably be no 64GB model.

I'm also a bit disappointed with it having an OMAP4460 (not a surprise, I know)
That resolution is begging for the SGX544 in OMAP4470 or the 400MHz Mali400MP4 in Exynos 4212, IMHO.

I'd rather go with the Galaxy S2 HD LTE (same device all around but with 8MP camera, 16GB internal + microsd, Exynos 4212).

Last edited by a moderator:
1.2GHz OMAP4460? That's rather unlikely unless they're downclocking it for power consumption reasons, which seems rather absurd when they can afford to have a first-generation LTE baseband in there.

And yes, it'll be lacking on the GPU performance front, here's hoping Chainfire adds an option to play games at 1/4th the pixels (i.e. 640x360). Combined with forced MSAA that should look decent-ish and still let you play even the most performance intensive games better than 800x480 devices. Not perfect but an acceptable compromise for the awesomeness that is a 1280x720 smartphone screen.

Exynos 4212 wasn't ready in time for products shipping any time soon.

Assuming the latest drivers/software ecosystem improvements, the 4460 should rate quite well in graphics among Android devices.

Exynos 4212 wasn't ready in time for products shipping any time soon.

Assuming the latest drivers/software ecosystem improvements, the 4460 should rate quite well in graphics among Android devices.

How sooner do you think the Nexus Prime will be available before the already announced Galaxy S2 LTE smartphones?

Not really. If you have the image sensor at equal area but one has twice the pixels then the one with more pixels will produce considerably noisier image

Depends on the quality of the read-out circuits :)

Either way, the optics of a cell phone camera likely will not saturate more than a 5MP sensor in terms of clarity/sharpness.

Not really. If you have the image sensor at equal area but one has twice the pixels then the one with more pixels will produce considerably noisier image

..with the rather erroneous assumption that the sensor with higher resolution isn't capable of retrieving more detail, then yes..

For some reason, even professional reflex cameras (where marketing numbers' BS doesn't really count) are also going up in resolution.

Depends on the quality of the read-out circuits :)

Either way, the optics of a 9mm-thick cell phone camera likely will not saturate more than a 5MP sensor in terms of clarity/sharpness.

There, I corrected that for you :p
Large sensors with a high light gathering ability come at a cost (in this case, at a size). Hence that thickness compromise in N8.

For some reason, even professional reflex cameras (where marketing numbers' BS doesn't really count) are also going up in resolution.
I know they do but to get similar noise per-pixel they also have been vastly improved in other areas. Raw pixel density alone means nothing and if you increase it without improving other stuff you WILL get worse quality.

I know they do but to get similar noise per-pixel they also have been vastly improved in other areas. Raw pixel density alone means nothing and if you increase it without improving other stuff you WILL get worse quality.

Yes but it's a question of how much worse. At 6.4um per pixel for a full frame 21MP sensor, there really isn't much leakage. Even going to ~4um per pixel will not significantly increase leakage at either the photo diode or the readout circuit unless you pump up the amplification insanely (ISO3200 or something). Not for modern readout circuits at least.

At the pixel sizes of cell phone cameras, sure. But I'm not sure 5MP -> 8MP is on the upward slope of that curve.

At the pixel sizes of cell phone cameras, sure. But I'm not sure 5MP -> 8MP is on the upward slope of that curve.
My 60d has 21MP at 329mm^2 sensor and I can do pictures with ISO3200 without too much problems, though obviously 1:1 prints won't be too pretty but at around half the ISO they are fine. Cellphone sensors have ~3-4x less pixels on ~10-15x smaller area so ~3-5x higher pixel density. Combine that with significantly worse image processor and you'll be in loads of trouble with noise.

I'm sure the issue of it being only 5MP (if true) will come up often, whether it's right or wrong. It's hard to explain to people that number is just about the least important thing to know about a digital camera.

I'm sure the issue of it being only 5MP (if true) will come up often, whether it's right or wrong. It's hard to explain to people that number is just about the least important thing to know about a digital camera.
Now that I can definitely agree with :)

I'm also a bit disappointed with it having an OMAP4460 (not a surprise, I know)
That resolution is begging for the SGX544 in OMAP4470 or the 400MHz Mali400MP4 in Exynos 4212, IMHO.

I'd rather go with the Galaxy S2 HD LTE (same device all around but with 8MP camera, 16GB internal + microsd, Exynos 4212).

Omap4470 isn't available yet.(I don t think thats expected in volume until Q2-Q3 2012 ?)
Is Exynos4212 ready ? (wasn't it just announced as sampling a few days ago ??)
Could never be the any of the Exynos chips anyway as ICE is using TI as its reference platform, so first devices have to be TI.

Is it a sure thing that Ice Cream Sandwich will be made for OMAP4?

GSMArena is now reporting that Nexus Prime will come with an unnanounced SoC that has a SGX543MP2..

AFAIK, the only pseudo-official statement about ICS being made for OMAP4 is the one from Notion Ink's CEO:
If you go by the industry signals, OMAP is the preferred platform for next wave of devices. It will also see ICS before Tegra.

"Industry signals"?.. Preferred platform by Google or by OEMs?

Aaaah, the confusion..

Is it a sure thing that Ice Cream Sandwich will be made for OMAP4?

GSMArena is now reporting that Nexus Prime will come with an unnanounced SoC that has a SGX543MP2..

I certainly can't point you to anywhere on the net that states it. But I'll be very surprised if it isn't.

The only other 543MP2 chip in the wild that I'm aware of is the Renesas one (APE5R Soc, MP5225 platform).

I note that there is some chat of Sharp launching a ICS phone based on 1.5Ghz 4460 for the japanese market:-
http://asf-mobiles.com/2011/09/new-winter-machine-by-softbank-2011-android-4-0-models-coming/
(see number 4 on the list)

Interestingly, number 7 on that same list is a Renesas APE5r phone (but not on ICS)

This is slowly starting to get silly with the rumor mongering with ever conflicting rumors. First some site suggests a 1.2GHz 4460 and now supposed Exynos with a SGX543MP2. Why would Samsung call it Exynos is beyond me.

If it would be a Samsung SoC with a SGX it would most likely not be a 543 and most likely not a MP2.

Well on it's own, Exynos means nothing, and they recently renamed the hummingbird chip to Exynos3110. I rate the chances of the new samung chip being 543 as less than 1%, and the chances of it being in the new google phone at all about the same.

Well on it's own, Exynos means nothing, and they recently renamed the hummingbird chip to Exynos3110. I rate the chances of the new samung chip being 543 as less than 1%, and the chances of it being in the new google phone at all about the same.

One of the primary reasons Samsung might have opted for OMAP4 would be it being the smartphone reference platform for ICS.

Back