Same GPUs Desktop/Notebook?

Robbitop

Newcomer
Me and a friend of mine got a discussion.
Its about Radeon9600 Mobile(M10) and PRO(RV350)...I say the core is absolutely similar. Of course they are selected for undervoltage but the cores are the same. He said they are different.

I can remeber on a presention paper of ATi for CeBit2003
M10 65Mio Transistors

but there are afaik no official informations about transistorcounts of RV350/M10

and beyond3d/3dcenter said 75Mio Transistors...

what is true? and are they different?

I guess no, becourse the ressources would be larger for different development (because chip complexity ist too high today)...and PowerPlay (or something like that) is running on RV350 too...

Do you have any sources on that?

And how about NV31/NV31M/NV34/NV34M?
I guess same right here..

I doubt they are the same, but I don't know for sure. I would assume that the 9600 desktop chip is designed on a process that switches quickly and 9600 mobile is on a process that favors power reduction. I think there are a number of different .13 micron processes and they one you choose depends on the application.

I'd imagine they're functionally similar, but their packaging is probably different (not least of which because M10 has RAM built into its small die/package).

Hehehe this point has always seemed strange to me ;)
ATI talks about 60 millions transistors for M10 and about 75 millions for RV350. My assumption is that it is 60 M for both of them...

It's comperable to a desktop 9600, but--expectantly--worse. Better in a few limited situations, but many times notably worse. (HardOCP is one of the few sites where I saw direct comparisons.)

Of course they've been through a few revisions since then, and the performance may well lean on how many megs the card has. Basically, it's not equal, but it's certainly no slouch, and it's by far the best thing mobile's have.

All in all, it kinda makes me wonder why B3D hasn't done a mobile chip fielding in a while. What say you guys? I'm for it! ;)

cthellis42 said:
All in all, it kinda makes me wonder why B3D hasn't done a mobile chip fielding in a while. What say you guys? I'm for it! ;)

There isn't enough. It's basically m10 which isn't even out yet or the 5650 Go, which is completely awful.

Waltar said:
cthellis42 said:

There isn't enough. It's basically m10 which isn't even out yet or the 5650 Go, which is completely awful.

NV36M, for which I'm expecting a Comdex launch, seems like it might make things more interesting there :)

Uttar

cthellis42 said:

I'll be getting a notebook with an M10 in it sometime this month, so I may be able to run some tests.

However, my company opted for the 32 MB / 64 bit bus implementation....

Uttar said:
Waltar said:
cthellis42 said:

NV36M, for which I'm expecting a Comdex launch, seems like it might make things more interesting there :)

Uttar

Do you know any of the specs on it? a 5700 Go would be fantastic.

Back