Sakaguchi Tops Most Important List In Japan

Hardknock

Veteran
http://www.joystiq.com/2005/12/27/sakaguchi-tops-most-important-list-in-japan/

Hironobu Sakaguchi, creator of the esteemed Final Fantasy series, was named the most important figure in the Japanese console industry this year according to a survey conducted conducted by Famitsu. Other notables included Akihiro Hino (Dragon Quest), Satoru Iwata (Nintendo), Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear), and Ken Kutaragi (PlayStation). With Sakaguchi's Mistwalker Studios producing several exclusive titles for the Xbox 360, this announcement bodes well for Microsoft's hopes in Japan.

Yep, the man made FF, this is a reassertion of its dominance and its love from the Japanese.

Edit; Hmm, after checking out pipo's link it appears this is the man of 2005 list. I assumed (from this title it infers "of all time"). That is much more significant for Mistwalker IMO, it bodes very well for Japanese interest in the X360. Especially considering he hasn't done much this year :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it should sell an extra five thousand Xbox 360's.

One man producing a few RPG's for a dead console in Japan is questionable. Don't forget a recent survey in Japan even showed Microsoft to be more respected than Sony, and that certainly is having next to no effect on console sales.

All in my opinion of course. Nothing wrong with hoping for a console to do well, but I just don't think this is enough for MS to do well in the Japanese market.

Don't forget the Japanese bought the PS2 in huge amounts (I know some people argue the DVD thing, but it still would have sold huge amounts without that), when it had a horrible launch lineup, so the lack of great titles in MS's recent launch had very little to do with it's recent massive launch failure. People just don't have hope in a console, which is the sequel to the worst selling console in Japanese history. There is next to no Xbox titles in Japan, so backwards compatiblity means very little, and there are hundreds of PS2 titles available in stores, which will run on the PS3. Hard to compete against that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what the questions were in this poll (at work so I can't do much investigation)? because some of the rankings seem a bit wonky.

I'd question what important things Sakaguchi has done in this last year (as the joystiq seems to state), or the past 5 years, even. No doubt the man deserves respect, but I don't think hes touched an FF game for a long time (which some might see as an explaination to the "problems" in the series and others might see it as Sakaguchi getting undeserved credit -- FF games sell crazy well and I still look forward to them, so I, personally, have to question his role in the industry lately). Hopefully Blue dragon and Lost Odessey turn out to be great games (both are _looking_ really great from what I've seen so far, hopefully the other aspects of the game fall into place). Sakaguchi winning top spot has me wondering how the question(s) was worded -- if it was like "Sakaguchi (creator of FF series), Kutaragi (creator of Playstation), Bill gates (Microsoft), Kojima (Metal gear series), etc, etc" where ambiguous credit is given to a single person and you need to choose one, then I can definately see how these results came to be (and then the results are essentially worthless, as the question is shite). The way the results are shown (from joystiq) does not really fall in line with what these guys have actually done, which makes me, again, question the questions and/or readership's understanding of what these guys actually do (and of course results like this can definately be used for some nice marketing!).

Just some thoughts.

Serenity Painted Death said:
Bill Gates ranked ahead of Shiggy in that poll... relevance SERIOUSLY in question.

Ummm, you have a crystal ball into the minds of Japanese consumers? :p

By the way do you have a link to the full list? I didn't know Shiggy and Bill Gates were on it...

seismologist said:
wow I'd never even heard of Sakaguchi before the hype for his Xbox 360 games started.
What did he do on PS2?

His last work was on some parts of FFVII, I think he was director.

But he also was a major contributer in FF6(jp)/FF3(us), which was the best FF IMO.

seismologist said:
wow I'd never even heard of Sakaguchi before the hype for his Xbox 360 games started.
What did he do on PS2?
I'm not sure if he made a PS2 game, but one of his last big budget creation was a bomb shell called Final Fantasy:The Spirits Within. ;)

Movie does not equal a game.

And I've always thought he only 'greenlighted' the movie. I don't think he had any involvement with the actual making of it did he?

Hardknock said:
And I've always thought he only 'greenlighted' the movie. I don't think he had any involvement with the actual making of it did he?

He was lead director, executive producer, and he wrote the story. The Spirits Within was Sakaguchi.

Given his success in 05, the lack of Miyamoto on that list is glaring!

Titanio said:
He was lead director, executive producer, and he wrote the story. The Spirits Within was Sakaguchi.

Damn that's kinda sad then, because The Spirits Wihtin wasn't a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination. Nowhere near the games of course, but if it would have had better advertising I think it would have done much better. Who was the distributer of the movie, Sony? That might be why he appears to have a certain distaste for Sony hardware at the moment...

Given his success in 05, the lack of Miyamoto on that list is glaring!

Are you refering to the success of Nintendogs?

Also it would be kinda wierd if Miyamoto is more revered here in the States than he is in his homeland.

Hardknock said:
Damn that's kinda sad then, because The Spirits Wihtin wasn't a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination. Nowhere near the games of course, but if it would have had better advertising I think it would have done much better. Who was the distributer of the movie, Sony? That might be why he appears to have a certain distaste for Sony hardware at the moment...

It was Sony, yes, via Columbia. I enjoyed the movie too, but I don't think Columbia went out of their way to undo its success or something. Sony in fact helped bail Square out afterward, with an investment.

Sakaguchi's current platform choices have absolutely nothing to do with it, and everything to do with funding.

Hardknock said:
Are you refering to the success of Nintendogs?

Yeah, amongst others. But primarily the dogs, yes. I guess at least Iwata is there.

Hardknock said:
Who was the distributer of the movie, Sony? That might be why he appears to have a certain distaste for Sony hardware at the moment...
What does Sony have to do with anything about this bomb shell?

And what does a movie having to bomb has to do with someone's hate towards a company? If anything, he should be happy Sony helped out his company after they lost millions.

Here's more excerpts:

And the winner is...

So yes, a young up-and-comer sits in number two. In number one, it is my pleasure to announce, is none other than my personal pick for Man of the Year, 2005: Hironobu Sakaguchi. Sakaguchi, too, like Hino, has a life-changing connection with Yuji Horii: it was Horii's successful Dragon Quest that inspired Sakaguchi to refine, revise, and complicate the formula in Final Fantasy, his fledgling company's last-ditch effort to not die.

The game was overly complex and overly difficult, bogged down by a dreadful interface -- yet it inspired generations of imitators, and by its fourth instalment, it was solid gold, the pinnacle of its form. The funny thing is, Dragon Quest was created by simplifying American PC games like Ultima -- narrowing the scope, so to speak. Four characters became one. Sakaguchi, ignorant of Ultima, expanded Dragon Quest out to four characters. Future designers, ignorant of Dragon Quest, trimmed excess away from Final Fantasy, and created the sprawling swamp that is the current Japanese RPG genre.

Sakaguchi has been, for the last eleven years, an unrelenting risk-taker. While Dragon Quest stayed blissfully the same, Sakaguchi pulled Final Fantasy every direction except down. Battle systems changed, characters changed, themes changed. His unmaking was the Final Fantasy movie -- it scored millions of dollars of damage points on all investors, and resulted in Sakaguchi being filed away at an office in Hawaii for nearly five years.

This year, that is, 2005, he literally stood up from his desk and walked out of the company he had made. He started a new studio, one called Mist Walker, and announced two games for the upcoming Xbox 360. He is engineering his game based on one concept: that current Japanese brand loyalty is not indestructable. This assertion is not taken lightly by the stone-faced men of Japanese business-war strategy -- it's enough to get him kicked out of perhaps any major Japanese corporate meeting. Which is why, perhaps, his new company's offices are in Hawaii.

His approach is very refreshing; he wishes to remind us that, before Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy were the talk of the town, they were nothing at all. Right now, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are nothing at all. His gusto at making new franchises is far, far more than just admirable. He has clout, he has experience, and I'd wager that his life has been genuinely interesting. In person, he talks and smokes a lot like Bill Murray's character in the movies "Rushmore" and "Lost in Translation." I'm told that, years ago, he lacked this aura.

Titanio said:
It was Sony, yes, via Columbia. I enjoyed the movie too, but I don't think Columbia went out of their way to undo its success or something. Sony in fact helped bail Square out afterward, with an investment.

Sakaguchi's current platform choices have absolutely nothing to do with it, and everything to do with funding.

I'm sorry, but given the oppurtunity I'm almost positive Sony would have had no problems funding Mistwalker to make exclusive games for PS3. Especially if it meant Xbox 360 wouldn't be getting those games. The man has a very impressive track record and shouldn't be underestimated.

Yeah, amongst others. But primarily the dogs, yes. I guess at least Iwata is there.

I think Nintendogs is more of a success of the innovative hardware than the actual software. If Nintendogs had come out on any other platform it wouldn't have been anywhere near as successful. Iwata getting the recognition for this is well deserved. Hopefully the Revolution can follow in the DS's footsteps...

Back