Running a US NintyDS in the UK.. Power supply question

Is it just a question of using a travel adapter... or do I need a different power supply?

If it *is* just an adapter... I've noticed the US plug doesn't fit the travel adapter because it has a circular collar around the pin holes, which won't allow the flat face of the power cable near enough. I *could* cut the collar off, but is it there to prevent this?
The power cable *will* fit a shaver-to-UK socket converter. Should I use that, or is that (more) stooopid???

Thanks in advance for any answers, but can I ask that you only reply if you're sure of your facts (or state how confident you are)... get this wrong and I could toast my daughter's brand-new DS :(

cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to radioshack if you have one next to you and look for a power converter NOT an adapter. An adapter wont convert the volts. You need a power converter, preferably one with 2 different volt out settings. Or you can get one from lik-sang, or play asia. just do a search on the website for power converters. Make sure its a converter and not just an adapter. hope that helps. I know for a fact you need a converter because i travelled to asia and had to use an converter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah you need a 220V to 115V step down converter which you can buy online or Radio Shack or any number of other electronics outlets.

if the only device you need this for is the DS, it might be more cost effective to look at buying a UK charger for the unit. AFAIK the hardware is the same, and the charger should convert whatever AC current coming out of the wall into whatever DC current the DS needs anyway.

Just buy a USB charging cable for the DS and charge it from your computer. Cheap, easy and even works from the PS2's USB ports.

Guys, thanks for the replies... luckily I had a minor brainwave... or perhaps more truthfully, an unblocking of the brain. I've used the power cable from my daughters Gameboy SP, which we bought in Italy... that's rated at 220v or 230v and has been working fine through a travel adapter for over a year. Given the connector is the same as for the DS, I took the small gamble of using it, and lo-and-behold my daughter now has a fully charged up (and not toasted) DS :)

RostokMcSpoons said:
Guys, thanks for the replies... luckily I had a minor brainwave... or perhaps more truthfully, an unblocking of the brain. I've used the power cable from my daughters Gameboy SP, which we bought in Italy... that's rated at 220v or 230v and has been working fine through a travel adapter for over a year. Given the connector is the same as for the DS, I took the small gamble of using it, and lo-and-behold my daughter now has a fully charged up (and not toasted) DS :)

Ha good idea, in fact the DS is designed to work with all SP chargers.

Back