Rumors swirl, Microsoft has purchased Capcom=debunked*

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
Word is beginning to trickle down to fitbabits HQ from several independent sources that Microsoft has all but completed the purchase of Capcom. I'm not going to spell out the ramifications if this one is true, but I will mention two words and a number - Resident Evil 5

More as it becomes available...

Note that this is firmly in the rumor category and that's where it will stay until either Microsoft or Capcom confirm or deny it.

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23730

It would be an awesome move for MS if they could pull it off. It's the only region they haven't made a development purchase in. It would help with making inroads with japan. Still I don't know if something like this could even happen.

In this crazy Internet world, different sources can stem from the same source originally.

Not that I'm not highly interested in this news mind you; I definitely am. It just seems a little deja vu at this point.

Well where there is smoke, the odds are there is fire. The person from evil avatar is saying he is hearing it from several sources.

Ah yes, "where there's smoke there is fire". One of the most ridiculous sayings ever known. Nintendo are buying Bungie from Microsoft and releasing their own version of Windows, and George W. Bush is actually Muslim. No evidence of that, still where there's smoke there's fire.

Well where there is smoke, the odds are there is fire.

On the internet, the opposite is true. It's more often than not just smoke and nothing more.

I wouldn't be too surprised if it happened, I'd be a little disappointed though, as it's one less big publishing/dev house out there that made a lot of games on a lot of different platforms.

I'm not sure I'd take what comes from evilavatar as gospel though -- fitba may just be repeating shit Red Cloak fed him =p

Who knows... stranger things have happened.

yea, given the extreme multiplatform nature of Capcom, I'd be hard pressed to believe it's true unless MS was to allow capcom to release some IP's on other hardware.

but ...ANYthing is possible.

On the internet, the opposite is true. It's more often than not just smoke and nothing more.

I wouldn't be too surprised if it happened, I'd be a little disappointed though, as it's one less big publishing/dev house out there that made a lot of games on a lot of different platforms.

I'm not sure I'd take what comes from evilavatar as gospel though -- fitba may just be repeating shit Red Cloak fed him =p
Who knows... stranger things have happened.

Deadmeat, Fishie and Co have been spreading FUD and BS the last couple days, so I wouldn't be surprised

Last edited by a moderator:
That would suck I think. I mean having a treasure trove of great IP is always good (Streetfighter, Mega man, RE, DMC) but I would prefer MS to win on the merits... its kinda like Square decided to go with Sony then sony bought a portion of the company to further support their efforts... MS should buy into Capcom if necessary but not buy them out. Buying them out may lead to talent flight which is "ungood."

Buying them out may lead to talent flight which is "ungood."

I think that would possibly be the worst part of it. It always seems like whenever talented people leave, they are rarely able to start news studios that are anywhere near as good as where they were before... sometimes it happens and we get a new studio that rocks, but more often than not, when talent leaves to go elsewhere, they basically may as well have quit the industry.

The more I think about it, it seems less and less feasible/practical. There is so much redundant and wasted stuff in Capcom if it were to go with one platform exclusively under a company that already has a publishing arm -- they'd be canning half of Capcom to get it down to a size that would be useful. I've seen sillier things happen, but it doesn't seem like this would make much financial sense to buy a publisher -- make deals with them and buy stock in them and get yourself on the board or something, but buying them out seems like a poor choice given the circumstances.

I think that would possibly be the worst part of it. It always seems like whenever talented people leave, they are rarely able to start news studios that are anywhere near as good as where they were before... sometimes it happens and we get a new studio that rocks, but more often than not, when talent leaves to go elsewhere, they basically may as well have quit the industry.

The more I think about it, it seems less and less feasible/practical. There is so much redundant and wasted stuff in Capcom if it were to go with one platform exclusively under a company that already has a publishing arm -- they'd be canning half of Capcom to get it down to a size that would be useful. I've seen sillier things happen, but it doesn't seem like this would make much financial sense to buy a publisher -- make deals with them and buy stock in them and get yourself on the board or something, but buying them out seems like a poor choice given the circumstances.

Well stated. If Streetfighter were still the powerhouse it once was then... I'd say hell yeah! but now I think Konami, Square and even maybe Sega have greater marquee titles... Do RE or DMC chart as high critically as MGS, FF or VF5?

Well stated. If Streetfighter were still the powerhouse it once was then... I'd say hell yeah! but now I think Konami, Square and even maybe Sega have greater marquee titles... Do RE or DMC chart as high critically as MGS, FF or VF5?

Hey, maybe we'd actually get an SF4 is some new management came in!

Hey, maybe we'd actually get an SF4 is some new management came in!

Honestly I really didnt pay attention to SF after SFII Hyper fighting. I think the game was balanced then with likeable characters. After that it kinda just went ... crazy... Give me a High res, Hi Def SF II with the same balancing and up-to-date outfits and more interactive backgrounds... all 2d and I'd be in heaven.

Back