RIP Blue, take whatever.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I'm not surprised nor disappointed, but Blue died a few days ago and everything I've tried to do to get her going again has just been an abysmal failure/headache/grief-inducing-trauma.

I sort of gave up last night in frustration and just hooked up my wife's laptop to her monitor/mouse/speakers. (Couldn't do the keyboard, need a USB one...more on that in a second. ;) )

Turns out the new set-up works a lot sweeter, so I'm thinking of adopting it for a bit longer....

PROBLEM: I'll need a few new bits...

Rosewill RK500 Silver/Black 104 Normal Keys 9 media keys Function Keys USB Wired Slim Multi-media Keyboard, $13.63 or so shipped.

Microsoft B5V-00001 OEM Silver 5 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB Wired Laser Wireless Mouse 6000, $29.98 shipped.

Ok, those I'm definite on and happy with...but I need a USB TV tuner thingy too. On that I'm really not too sure. :???:

Pretty much one of these I figure, anyone help me narrow it down a bit?

I would recommend Hauppauge's WinTV-PVR USB2 tuner. I'm not sure about the other models but Hauppauges' include Vista support, which in my book is a necessity. Also Hauppauge has a quite active forum where driver developers write actively, so that's an another plus.

I've been using my Hauppauge Nova-T tuner for a ~5 months now and I'me very pleased with the card.

Does Hauppauge have any HDTV tuners out or any plans for one? More specifically a USB one would be grand. I tend to really only trust them, tuners always seem like bottom bucket components, not sure why I get that feeling from them...

I've always liked Hauppauge too, my second fave PCI TV tuner I have is a Hauppauge.

I just hate the idea of spending that much not knowing what the quality of the picture will be, I gots a low opinion of USB TV tuners from previous experience...although that experience is about 6-7 years old. :oops:

The software of the Diamond seems to suck, so I see no reason to pay 85 instead of 45. That's old tech. :)

The Diamond does HDTV but I doubt that's nice via FBAS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good cheap choice on the headphones Digi, Sennheiser's rock. I've used them from the low end all the way to the very top, all above what you'll generally find elsewhere.

Good cheap choice on the headphones Digi, Sennheiser's rock. I've used them from the low end all the way to the very top, all above what you'll generally find elsewhere.

I like Senheiser's a lot, but AKG are comparable and Sony actually make some good midrange headphones.

I like Senheiser's a lot, but AKG are comparable and Sony actually make some good midrange headphones.

AKG are comparable, so is Beyerdynamic, and Grado, and so on and so forth. But its hard to find AKG easily retail, even harder for Beyerdynamic and Grado. I'll disagree with Sony though, except for a few exceptions (SA5000, MDR V6, and of course the Q010, and the legend that is R10) they tend to be rather lacking. There's also Ultrasone (an acquired taste, but I enjoyed my HFi-550s) and then there's also a number of decent Koss pairs even.

The point thought was that at price ranges Sennheiser covers they tend to be above what else is out there. Such as the HD202 being above that other equal in price Sony or Koss headphones.

I had the Senn 201's before until my daughter and the puppies got a hold of them for a bit, I figure this set will be a small step up. ;)

Funny you should mention Sony, I was debating between the 202s and the Sony MDR-XD200. I finally decided on the Senns 'cause I love Senns and didn't want to take a chance on Sony.

(Never heard good Sony headphones, just their cheapies...was kind of afraid they thought that was good enough)

Back