Resident Evil 5 might be PS3 exclusive?

Jesus2006

Regular
From a 1up.com podcast:

1up podcast

Get to about 55 minutes 10 seconds in in and you'll discover this quote:

1up staffer 1:(After wagering the Microsoft and THQ have done a deal for Smackdown vs Raw 2007 next-gen exclusivity, which actually makes a bit of sense) "Right now a lot of the games you think are multi-platform next-gen games coming out on both PS3, 360 and Wii are going to end up on only one console... this fall. Get ready."

1up staffer 2: "So... well... what do you know?"

1up staffer 1: "I don't know a lot and I don't know if its going to be announced and this is just pure speculation from me based on intelligence I've gathered... (background giggles)... TGS... Resident Evil 5 PS3 exclusive."

1up staffer 3: "Yeah, I can see that."
Hmmm...

www.consolewars.de

Shane said that. Didn't he say GTA is PS3 exclusive and WoW is coming for PS3 and a whole bunch of other things?

Shifty Geezer said:
No point in this thread. Rumour we can just about handle, but baseless rumour - definitely not!

Thanks yoda.

So, MS and Sony are battling for exclusives because they see the impact Nintendo is having, mainly due to their controller. Right?

Personally, i'd like to see more quality exclusives than multiplatform which doesn't make use of the consoles' power, since this time around i think it won't be so easy to make a decent multiplatform title anyways.

Coming from shane, whos known as a big sony fan. I'll take this w/ a grain of salt. But It wouldnt surprise me actually.

I would take this with a grain of salt.

But it wouldnt really surprise me since the Resident Evil franchise has never been released on an xbox branded platform. Also, having to justify the development of the 360 version when that version of the game would only be sold in two of the 3 main markets due to the poor performance of the 360 in japan.

But in al reality, it wouldnt be a lose for microsoft, since you are losing something that you have never had.

But at this point, its all pure speculation.

360 is doomed in Japan and Biohazard is quite popular there. Sony might be able to cut a deal for exclusive. But i dont think it will happen.. we will see.

Wasn't there an interview with a Capcom executive who said that Capcom never againr would make Resident Evil exclusive again, since it didn't prove to be financially viable? So if there's any truth to it, it will only be a timed exclusive.
However, personally I don't think that any credit to that rumour. The transcript sound more like he was trying to make a joke .

This was a throwaway comment from a self-proclaimed sony fan on the 1up podcast. It really doesnt deserve a thread in this forum at this point.

So random podcast = worth a rumor?

Thats weak. Il stick to what Capcom said:

In an interview published in Xbox360ism (a special edition of Dorimaga), Capcom Research & Development division chief Keiji Inafune said he expects Resident Evil 5 to be released simultaneously on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 if possible.

"We want to grow the Resident Evil series into a multi-platform franchise, so we hope to release it simultaneously [on the two next-generation consoles]," Inafune told Xbox360ism. "But since we don't know the launch period for the PS3 yet, so it's hard to say [if we can]."

Inafune also revealed that Resident Evil 5 will feature online elements, although he did not elaborate.

From: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/adventure/residentevil5/news.html?sid=6140862

Jesus2006 said:
...since this time around i think it won't be so easy to make a decent multiplatform title anyways.

in contrast with??

I'd say this gen multiplat games should be easier than last generation. Given cpu/gpu ability and improved dev tools on both sides.

TheChefO said:
I'd say this gen multiplat games should be easier than last generation. Given cpu/gpu ability and improved dev tools on both sides.
I agree with that PS2 and XBox were world's apart, whereas both PS3 and XB360 share similarly shader-language GPUs and a PPC-like core. If you stuck to a single thread, single core program onthe GPU, they differences might even be negligable. Making the most of the machines will be less complex than even just getting started on a cross-platform last-gen title!

Powderkeg said:
The comment is basically saying if the game on the 360 before the PS3 is ready to launch we'll release the 360 version first. So not only is the game multiplatform, it's possible that the 360 version will be complete and released before the PS3 version.

Especially considering from most accounts the 360 dev kits are easier to work with for most devs and Capcom is already knee deep in developing lost planet for 360 which shows they are very familiar with the hardware currently. This should help them on their path to bringing re5 to 360. Not to say it's impossible for re5 to go ps3 exclusive but large bundles of cash would be involved to counter potential lost sales on 360.

Powderkeg said:
The comment is basically saying if the game on the 360 before the PS3 is ready to launch we'll release the 360 version first. So not only is the game multiplatform, it's possible that the 360 version will be complete and released before the PS3 version.

That's what I got out of the comment as well.

In fact, I really don't understand the 1UP comments. The first staffer essentially says what Capcom says, what EA has said with Madden 2007, etc... That despite the fact there are multiplatform games available, only one version will actually be available this Fall or make it to market... He doesn't specifically say it will be the 360 version, but that's easy enough to figure out.

Developers are trying to build games for all the consoles but the other two are behind the 360 version and the 360s are already on the market, so it's very likely that either 1) The 360 gets the game first or 2) the developers just drop the game for the other two consoles completely because by the time they would release it, it'd be far behind the market launch for the 360 version.

Isn't that essentially his justification for the fact that Sony is then going to try to push for the RE5 exclusivity? Because not only do they not have very many exclusives, but they are also losing their cross-platform games because of timing problems with their consoles coming to market?

Unfortunately, Capcom appears to be one of the developers that he talks about initially, and Capcom specifically confirms his first statement. That if the 360 version is done before the PS3 version, the 360 version will be the only one available.

RancidLunchmeat said:
In fact, I really don't understand the 1UP comments. The first staffer essentially says what Capcom says, what EA has said with Madden 2007, etc... That despite the fact there are multiplatform games available, only one version will actually be available this Fall or make it to market... He doesn't specifically say it will be the 360 version, but that's easy enough to figure out.

Well, RE5 isnt coming anywhere close to this Fall. :) Its a pretty different situation compared to Madden. And Inafune's quote was from Dec '05 fwiw. Since then Capcom's only comment on the project has been to repeat its a long ways off, so a lot can change since then. Some are even speculating an '08 target, so we'll see what happens.

I could still seeing this do well in U.S. and Europe if the marketing is done well. Let's see if Dead Rising does well.

Back