Rambus: At It Again.

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
This company is just such a nasty little critter.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/display/20050126083949.html
Rambus announced it has filed a patent infringement suit in the US District Court for the Northern District of California. In the suit, Rambus charges that DDR2, GDDR2 and GDDR3 memory devices from Hynix Semiconductor, Infineon Technologies, Inotera Memories and Nanya Technology Corporation use Rambus’ patented inventions.

The Los Altos, California-based firm is asserting that DRAM manufacturers Hynix Semiconductor, Infineon Technologies, Inotera Memories and Nanya infringe up to 18 of its patents with DDR2, GDDR2 and GDDR3 devices that are currently shipping in the marketplace....

Well DUH, of course those memories use their patents since they patented the techniques in secret... :rolleyes:

What the suit really should be about is wether the patents are legit to begin with.
Edit: I'm actually surprised it took them this long to go ahead and sue; these memories have been known (and in a few cases, produced) for years now.

That's how RAMBUS makes almost all it's money now. Work with the industry, find out what they are making, patent it all in secret, and then wait a few years so everyone is using the IP and you can sue for serious cash.

The US Patent Office once again shows how they've been manipulated by big business to stifle competition.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
That's how RAMBUS makes almost all it's money now. Work with the industry, find out what they are making, patent it all in secret, and then wait a few years so everyone is using the IP and you can sue for serious cash.
So, do you know what the patents that Rambus is claiming infringement cover?
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
The US Patent Office once again shows how they've been manipulated by big business to stifle competition.
Rambus is big business? Could have fooled me.

Rambus is only a patent company and produces nothing. If I remember right , Rambus is claming tech that TI patented long before Rambus was. This is tech that TI shared to JEDEC so lets see Rambus sue TI on TIs own patents. :rolleyes:

Thats a lawsuit that Rambus will lose and later we will say whats Rambus in about 2 to 3 years.

ImgTec is a patent only company, and makes nothing.

There's nothing wrong with an IP house; there is something wrong with Rambus' past behavior, but that doesn't mean these current lawsuits are of the same sort.

Unfortunately Rambus' new lawsuits continue on in exactly the same pattern as the old scammy lawsuits, but we still can't smash their HQ to pieces and burn all their files and make bologna of all the people working there because then there won't be a PS3... :devilish:

Gotta take the bad with the good. ;)

Unfortunately Rambus' new lawsuits continue on in exactly the same pattern as the old scammy lawsuits

Proof or links? Them filing a lawsuit is not proof that the foundation of the lawsuit is the same as their somewhat shady foundations for previous lawsuits. They do develop IP, and they must defend it agressively.

I'm not saying their suits have merit, but you guys seem to just blanket say "anything rambus does is evil, therefor this is evil, reinforcing my beliefs"

Russ, they first went after DDR (and perhaps even plain SDRAM, I can't remember). Now they go after DDR2 and GDDR3 for the exact same reasons they went after DDR. If that's not the continuation of a pattern I don't know what is.

Just because they have patents to defend doesn't mean they deserve to have those patterns to begin with, everybody + dog already knows US patent system is f*cked up anyway.

How can they possibly have invented all this stuff? Do they have some very introverted industry pioneers there that can't come out and tell the world that they've been ripped off? No, let the lawyers make up some fun money-making methods.

I hate Rambus. Their tech ruined I820, N64, and it's not so good in PS2. It was only semi-useful once in P4. They can't hack a decent tech so they want to make a living by suuing the universe.

Nothing wrong with it in PS2. Without DRDRAM, PS2 would have had less performance than it does now and have cost more.

swaaye said:
I hate Rambus. Their tech ruined I820, N64, and it's not so good in PS2.
I'm no friend of rambus, but how exactly did they ruin i820? That i820 didn't perform any better than good old bx isn't due to rambus. You could outfit such PIII boards with quadruple-channel DDR2-667 and it still wouldn't get any faster due to the slow FSB.
Intel ruined that, plain and simple. Apparently noone told them that it doesn't help if you have 3.2GB/s ram bandwidth if your FSB can only handle 1.06GB/s (ok 3.2GB/s is for i840, i820 is only 1.6GB/s but you get the idea). All this did is increase cost.
Other problems of the i820 (such as the broken rdram-sdram memory translator hub) are not rambus' fault neither.

Rambus gave them some deal to use it in their chipsets. Evil marketing ploy and stupid Intel. They wanted to corner the entire system market by having an exclusive RAM/system deal. You better believe it's a good thing they failed.

Rambus has higher latency than SDRAM and DDR so it actually made the I820 slower since i820 sure couldn't take advantage of the bandwidth due to its 133Mhz bus.

Intel has some brilliant engineers that often get screwed over by dumb marketing ideas. You can't possibly believe that the engineers didn't know i820 was technologically pointless.

Guden Oden said:
Now they go after DDR2 and GDDR3 for the exact same reasons they went after DDR. If that's not the continuation of a pattern I don't know what is.
Are they the exact same reasons?

RussSchultz said:
Guden Oden said:
Now they go after DDR2 and GDDR3 for the exact same reasons they went after DDR. If that's not the continuation of a pattern I don't know what is.
Are they the exact same reasons?

Pretty much. AFAICR, Rambus are saying that they own the IP from which these later technologies were derived, so cough up or they'll see you in court.

swaaye said:
Rambus gave them some deal to use it in their chipsets. Evil marketing ploy and stupid Intel. They wanted to corner the entire system market by having an exclusive RAM/system deal. You better believe it's a good thing they failed.
I certainly do. Still, I can't fault anyone but intel for this.

Rambus has higher latency than SDRAM and DDR so it actually made the I820 slower since i820 sure couldn't take advantage of the bandwidth due to its 133Mhz bus.
Latency is not THAT bad, and performance differences were minimal at best.
Intel has some brilliant engineers that often get screwed over by dumb marketing ideas. You can't possibly believe that the engineers didn't know i820 was technologically pointless.
Of course, just a little joke. intel knew rdram would not provide any performance benefits for PIII systems, and it was going to be more expensive, and they still did it.

Back