Racing Evoluzione/Apex first impression

Almost every good looking racing game looks near photorealistic when you take photos of a TV screen. It completely blurs out every possible detail that would give out the graphics imperfections. It still doesn't change the fact that the game looks awesome, but it's just not photrealistic when you get to see the gameplay videos.

Heya, maybe we should ask Alpha for some screencaps? ;)
I do not have this game, but looking at that screen, it has to be the best looking racing out now, on any console. The details and reflections are :oops: :oops: :oops:

forget about the reflections... look at the car!! OMG... Lotus Esprit.. maybe Xbox isn't too far down the road afterall... :LOL:

chap said:
Heya, maybe we should ask Alpha for some screencaps? ;)
I do not have this game, but looking at that screen, it has to be the best looking racing out now, on any console. The details and reflections are :oops: :oops: :oops:

I would dispute this. Yes it's a nice looking game, but it's nowhere near as good as the screenshots would lead you to believe. 30fps for a racing game these days worries me.

Also I don't think this game is using FSAA. I play in 480p and the cars are quite jagged at the best of times.

You know, I'm going to have to backflip on this one. 30fps or not, damn it's a very nice looking game at the best of times, and those times aren't just the spectacular replays. ;)

Now after closer inspection I think there has to be some form of AA going on here. In game too, not just replay (DOA XBV is a good example of no AA in-game, but plenty during non-interactive scenes).

This is turning out to be quite a fun arcade racer. I'm glad that I chose to stick with it. 8)

Well isn't a tv screen what one looks into when playing this game on a console?
If the games on your TV screen looks blurred like those screens posted earlier, it's time to either:
a) get a prescription for glasses
b) buy a new TV, preferrably a model made in the past 20 or so years.

marconelly! said:
If the games on your TV screen looks blurred like those screens posted earlier, it's time to either:
a) get a prescription for glasses
b) buy a new TV, preferrably a model made in the past 20 or so years.

So blurring makes it more photorealistic? ;)
What about people who play games with the sharpness turned all the way down? :oops:

Most people don't sit inside of a framebuffer when playing console games :LOL:

PC-Engine said:

Well, he was referring to a photo of a TV screen.

Taking a photo of a TV screen does overblur.

But for once I have to agree with Chap, the first shot does look almost like a live photo...

Tagrineth said:
PC-Engine said:

Well, he was referring to a photo of a TV screen.

Taking a photo of a TV screen does overblur.

But for once I have to agree with Chap, the first shot does look almost like a live photo...

A camera sees the same thing your eyes do if you know how to take pictures correctly. The blurring seen in the pics chap posted seems like the kind from a diffuse filter or a fogged/dirty lense. The point is blurring something doesn't necessarily make it anymore photorealistic unless you have bad vision in realife.

re.jpg

This picture would still look photorealistic even if it wasn't as blurry. It's lighting that makes something photorealistic. Do a search on Global Illumination and you'll understand.

mie3pm.jpg

This pics looks photorealistic yet I don't see any blurring going on.

The shots chap posted aren't purposely blurred. They're blurry because they're shots taken of a TV. Any number of things could contribute to the blurriness.

I haven't played or seen the game first hand so I can't comment on whether or not it's close to photorealistic.

A camera sees the same thing your eyes do if you know how to take pictures correctly.
Oh please. Project Midway from GA, used some kind of crappy cell phone camera to make those photos. You can't even make out pixels on that picture, which I'm more than certain you could when watching the actual screen. It's not just blurring, though. Photographing a TV screen adds various lens artifacts to the picture that all contribute into concealing any problems you might have noticed if they werent there.

I remember seeing many pictures and videos made like that (using camcorders to shoot the TV screen) of various racing games, and through all that blurring, weird colors and distortions, it *always* looked incredibly realistic. All of the image quality artifacts, all the texture imperfections, all things like that which give away realtime graphics are lost in the process. One's mind tend to assume that the picture behind all that blur and artifacts is perfect to begin with, when in reality, it never is.

On the other hand, I'm sure the game looks better on a TV than those framebuffer shots might suggest. Color bleeding and slight blurring that TV screens always do, tends to help there.

Blurriness = photorealism :LOL:

GT3 looks photoreal even with all the jaggies and pixelation. No blurring needed. ;)

L I G H T I N G

Blurriness = photorealism
Well, laugh all you want, but I think it's pretty clear that more you hide any problems the image has (and blur does just that) the more likely it will look more realistic.

Motion blur is :oops: :oops: :oops:

I remember seeing many pictures and videos made like that (using camcorders to shoot the TV screen) of various racing games, and through all that blurring, weird colors and distortions, it *always* looked incredibly realistic.

I experienced that too, but i am sure Apex will bring a new level of photorealistic cars. 8) If GT3 is so awesome then, expect Apex to rock the house now!!!

When you maintain the similar modelling accuracy, but you upped the resolution, the polygons, the pixel lighting and the reflections, you cant go wrong here. :oops:

GT3 looks photoreal even with all the jaggies and pixelation. No blurring needed.

I give you aliasing, but there is not much pixelation in GT3 at all...very clean in that respect.

The only thing that gives that Apex screenshot away is the brakelight, otherwise I think this game blows everything out of the water at this point. I would've rather had 60 fps than some AA though.

It's probably not just AA. They said something like 'with all those effects and AA enabled' framerate was not stable at 60FPS'.

Back