question about keyboards

randycat99

Veteran
So I'm guessing, no amount of USB/PS2 adaptor chicanery can make PC and Mac keyboards interchangeable? Do they just work too differently to make this possible? I want to use my fancy clear Mac keyboard for my PC and Mac hooked up via kvm switch, but I don't think any way I can think of connecting it will make it work. Anybody ever have to deal with this predicament? I see the USB-to-PS2 adaptor in the store that would allow me to connect the USB keyboard to the PS2 port on the kvm, but am I just wishful thinking that the PC would be able to recognize the Mac keyboard, even if I did use the adapter to connect it?

Are they so different?

What happens if you do plug it in? BIOS complains of no keyboard or does it just not work in the OS? Maybe there is a MackeyboardforWindows driver?

Most if not all USB keyboards can operate in PS/2 mode. You can use a Mac USB keyboard with a PC, either plugging it into a USB port or using a USB to PS/2 adapter.

However if your Mac doesn't have a PS/2 port you need either a USB KVM switch or a PS/2 to USB converter. I don't know how expensive these are, but since they need a little bit of logic I guess they cost more than a simple USB to PS/2 adapter.

Well this is encouraging news. I will give it a try then. I just wanted to hear from some people that have actually tried it, before I go out and buy this little adapter, find out it doesn't work, and then have to stand in line to return 1 stupid little part. ;)

I guess it never even occurred to me to just plug my Mac keyboard into the PC just to see what would happen. Seems like simple enough test, eh? I just had my mind too focused on how to get it working with the kvm switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
randycat99 said:
So I'm guessing, no amount of USB/PS2 adaptor chicanery can make PC and Mac keyboards interchangeable? Do they just work too differently to make this possible? I want to use my fancy clear Mac keyboard for my PC and Mac hooked up via kvm switch, but I don't think any way I can think of connecting it will make it work. Anybody ever have to deal with this predicament? I see the USB-to-PS2 adaptor in the store that would allow me to connect the USB keyboard to the PS2 port on the kvm, but am I just wishful thinking that the PC would be able to recognize the Mac keyboard, even if I did use the adapter to connect it?

USB Keyboard to a PS2 KVM is most likely not going to work. The easy way to do this is to get a USB KVM so you can use the Mac keyboard.

Well, I have a kvm that is halfway there! ;) It expects input from PS2 keyboard and mouse and then controls 2 computers via USB ports. I've already verified that a USB mouse will work when an adapter is used to plug it into the PS2 mouse port. The part I am leary about is will a similar adaptor work to allow a USB keyboard to plug into the PS2 keyboard port. My spidey-sense says no...or maybe a USB keyboard will work, but only if the keyboard is originally for a PC (a USB keyboard originally for a Mac might not work the same). So I wonder. What is really so different between a USB PC keyboard and a USB Mac keyboard? Seems like something that should be ubiquitously universal by now, but to this day, I've never seen a USB keyboard that says on the packaging it is compatible with BOTH PC and Mac. It's always one or the other, but not both. So I wonder, why is it so difficult to make an agnostic USB keyboard?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back