Purchase Decisions Help (Power Supply)

I wouldn't. A reviewer who rates "aesthetics" but doesn't even mention noise... rofl.

Oh, wait... he does mention that it was "quiet" (yep, that's it, one word). That would be a first for Enermax. Since the smaller Infinity PSU's most certainly don't qualify as "quiet", I doubt the 720W one does.

Talk about throwing out the baby with the bath water... One deficiency does not a poor review make.

Talk about throwing out the baby with the bath water... One deficiency does not a poor review make.

It makes a poor review when the reviewer gives recommendations based on bullshit criteria (aesthetics) while not taking into consideration what's probably the second most important characteristic next to technical performance. "Sniping Waste" said to follow his advise but that's simply not a good idea unless you really don't give the slightest fuck about noise.

It's like reviewing video cards and basing your final score on FPS and how flashy the cooler looks while ignoring severe image quality trade-offs.

I believe these are rebadged Seasonics, also a great manufacturer of PSUs.
No, not rebadged but built by Seasonic for Corsair. They are not 100% identical with the Seasonic PSUs they are based on.

It makes a poor review when the reviewer gives recommendations based on bullshit criteria (aesthetics) while not taking into consideration what's probably the second most important characteristic next to technical performance. "Sniping Waste" said to follow his advise but that's simply not a good idea unless you really don't give the slightest fuck about noise.

It's like reviewing video cards and basing your final score on FPS and how flashy the cooler looks while ignoring severe image quality trade-offs.

Then theres the problem with your view point were you get a video card that has a low noise cooler and the video card overheats and burns up in 2 months. About 99% of PSU reviewers don't know how to review a PSU and don't have the equipment to do so. He has the equipment to really run a PSU to 100% load and read its efficiency. The heat box test is a big plus to push it limits.

No, not rebadged but built by Seasonic for Corsair. They are not 100% identical with the Seasonic PSUs they are based on.

Really? What are some of the differences? I bought Seasonic but the Corsair equivalent (Wattage-wise) seemed to be about $30-$40 bucks cheaper. Made me sad when I found this out.

Really? What are some of the differences? I bought Seasonic but the Corsair equivalent (Wattage-wise) seemed to be about $30-$40 bucks cheaper. Made me sad when I found this out.
According to jonnyguru.com
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just an observation, but the cap is only an 85 degrees Celsius rated component. This is actually very common, but the Seasonic built Corsair uses a 105 degrees Celsius rated primary cap.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=13&page_num=3
[/font]

It's often the case with these kinds of things that the design is very similar, but the components are cheaper. Of course it's the high quality components that often make the difference between an average product and a great one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to know the difference between PC Power and Cooling's Silencer S75CF and S75QB. Both are 750w OCZ units but there's about a $30 price difference at ZZF.

I'd like to know the difference between PC Power and Cooling's Silencer S75CF and S75QB. Both are 750w OCZ units but there's about a $30 price difference at ZZF.

OCZ units? AFAIK OCZ doesn't produce PSUs. For example, their GameXStream PSUs were Fortron Epsilons in a different case and with worse fan-control settings (i.e. noticably louder than the Fortrons).

Quality Control is a big one. Even if two power supplies come from the same factory, different companies can have different requirements for what they will actually accept.

Back