PSP or not to PSP - that is the...well, my question at least

You haven't seen Metroid Prime Hunters, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Sonic Rush, or any other myriad graphically impressive games I s'pose. But ah wells. Such is life.

Some games look OK on the DS Lite, but to say they look graphically impressive compared to the better looking PSP games is really stretching it. That's not the point of the DS either, though.

By the way, the DS Lite's battery doesn't last that much longer either if you use comparable brightness levels on both devices. It also depends on the game you play. More and more games on the PSP are better optimised for battery preservation (you can program the interal clock of the CPU and the bus dynamically, but the first games hardly used this feature). For instance it can take a long time before you drain the battery while playing Tekken. For WiFi play though, the DS Lite's proprietary system is more energy efficient. Then again, the PSP supports WPA in all major forms and shapes, which is great (essential these days, if you ask me).

If you play a lot of gamesharing stuff on the PSP (like Tekken) or online games (like Socom), then the PSP's battery won't last quite as long.

p.s.: If you had actually read Neeyik's posts, you'd see he is more interested in games, and lack thereof on the PSP platform in the UK, than the media capabilities.

But there are as many games available for the PSP as there are for the DS Lite in most shops, and even if you look at the total number of titles available on both platforms the difference is still negligible. Also, Neeyik's already bought a PSP, and we've moved on to discussing the tastes and preferences of other (potential) PSP owners here now, in case you didn't notice. ;)

Anyway, looking forward to hearing from Neeyik again on his experiences with the system!

Some games look OK on the DS Lite, but to say they look graphically impressive compared to the better looking PSP games is really stretching it. That's not the point of the DS either, though.

Good thing I never made that assertion then isn't it Arwin? Go read my posts again. ;)

By the way, the DS Lite's battery doesn't last that much longer either if you use comparable brightness levels on both devices. It also depends on the game you play. More and more games on the PSP are better optimised for battery preservation (you can program the interal clock of the CPU and the bus dynamically, but the first games hardly used this feature). For instance it can take a long time before you drain the battery while playing Tekken. For WiFi play though, the DS Lite's proprietary system is more energy efficient. Then again, the PSP supports WPA in all major forms and shapes, which is great (essential these days, if you ask me).

If you play a lot of gamesharing stuff on the PSP (like Tekken) or online games (like Socom), then the PSP's battery won't last quite as long.

I'm just going by the reviews that I've read on both systems. And all of them state that the PSP battery drains within a couple of hours. And from personal experience, the DS Lite's battery lasts about 10-15 hours, which the reviews also stated.

But there are as many games available for the PSP as there are for the DS Lite in most shops, and even if you look at the total number of titles available on both platforms the difference is still negligible. Also, Neeyik's already bought a PSP, and we've moved on to discussing the tastes and preferences of other (potential) PSP owners here now, in case you didn't notice. ;)

Anyway, looking forward to hearing from Neeyik again on his experiences with the system!

I was going by this:

Neeyik said:
However, one thing that bothers me is a seemingly distinct lack of games available to buy in the UK

And yes, I noticed that he purchased the PSP system already. Doesn't mean I can't put in my two cents about it. :p

And from personal experience, the DS Lite's battery lasts about 10-15 hours, which the reviews also stated.

Most stuff I read mention that at the maximum brightness level, the battery drains in about 6-7 hours. For the PSP, that's about 4-5 hours at about the same brightness level - though admittedly, there are some games that might do it faster. It does seem though that the lowest level of brightness on the DS Lite is a lot more efficient than the lowest level of brightness on the PSP, as that apparently brings the DSL to about 15 hours and the PSP only gets up to something like 6-7 max (again, depending on the game).

If people do a direct comparison, by the way, they also need to use fresh batteries in both cases. The second PSP I bought has a newer battery which lasts considerably longer than my first PSP, which I bought upon release.

Back