PS3 networking schematic

one

Unruly Member
Veteran
Network game terminal, game server, method for handling network games, and recording medium
For reducing the load on a server as much as possible during transfer of data from the server to a terminal, each terminal is capable of playing out a network game in cooperation with a local network game terminal. To this end, the local network game terminal and one or more other network game terminals are grouped in the local network game terminal.
The network game terminal as claimed in claim 1, wherein said second communication control means is for allowing the local network game terminal to communicate bi-directionally with any one of other network game terminals in the user group, in a peer-to-peer fashion.
[0085] The computer program and data are either stored in a CPU-readable storage device or distributed over the network N. The communication mechanism is a well-known mechanism that is used to transmit and receive information to and from the game server 1 and other user terminals through the network N. The RAM is for temporarily storing data produced during various game operations and actions. The RAM also temporarily stores information received from the game server 1 or other user terminals through the communication mechanism. The ROM has a basic computer program and data stored thereon which are necessary for the operation of the local user terminal. The storage device is a so-called hard disk having a magnetic recording medium therein. An operating system, an application program, and a large volume of data are stored on this storage device.
[0146] In the above-mentioned embodiments, the user terminal may be any one of suitable computers or entertainment devices (e.g., PlayStation 2 manufactured by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.). More specifically, a computer or an entertainment device can be used as a user terminal when it is combined with a program that provides necessary functions. Examples of such functions include, but not limited to, a communication control function required for a user terminal to receive data from a game server, a function to generate user group data, and a function to send the data received from the game server and the user group data to other network game terminals in the same user group. The program in this case may be recorded on a recording medium (such as a CD or a DVD) and be loaded into the subject computer or entertainment device. Alternatively, a purpose-built device or machine which is specifically designed to provide the above-mentioned functions including the communication control function may be used as the user terminal.

and a bunch of related patent apps by SCE

System and method for efficiently implementing processed data structures in an electronic network
VIOLATIONS IN A PEER-TO-PEER RELAY NETWORK
NETWORK ACCOUNT LINKING
PEER-TO-PEER RELAY NETWORK
MULTIPLE PEER-TO-PEER RELAY NETWORKS
SPECTATORS IN A PEER-TO PEER RELAY NETWORK
ISLAND RECOVERY IN A PEER-TO-PEER RELAY NETWORK
REDUNDANCY LISTS IN A PEER-TO PEER RELAY NETWORK
VIOLATIONS IN A PEER-TO-PEER RELAY NETWORK
Application development interface for multi-user applications executable over communication networks
DYNAMICALLY SWITCHING CONFIGURATION BETWEEN NETWORK COMMUNICATION ARCHITECTURES
CONFIGURATION CONTROL BY AUTOMATIC COMMUNICATION PORT SELECTION AND SWITCHING CONFIGURATION BY SWITCHING COMMUNICATION PORT
DYNAMIC PLAYER MANAGEMENT
DYNAMIC BANDWIDTH CONTROL
Multi-user application program interface
Configuration switching: dynamically changing between network communication architectures

Here's older patent apps for network, by the way.

EDIT: broken links

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically multicasting over an overlay network. Only usefull when a lot of the clients are on low latency broadband connections obviously.

I have this semi weird feeling that the PS3 seems to breaking from the Central point of access (Like XBox's Live! setup) and going to more random array type of setup. I don't know...this is what I really want to know about SCE...whats their Online strategy and how are they going to impliment it....hmmmmm

I have this semi weird feeling that the PS3 seems to breaking from the Central point of access

Basically ,from what i undesrtand ,Sony/MS console war is also P2P vs client/server war on the interconnected planet .This starts in our living room.

MfA said:
Basically multicasting over an overlay network. Only usefull when a lot of the clients are on low latency broadband connections obviously.
If those with fat pipes can act as servers or supernodes, narrowband users can hang down from those on broadband connections.

What was that "Butterfly net" or something that was talked a while ago (well, it must be at least a year or so ago)? That was somehow connected to PS2? But did anything ever come to realisation of that???

one said:
MfA said:
If those with fat pipes can act as servers or supernodes, narrowband users can hang down from those on broadband connections.

No. Narrowband people will die before they get their dirty hands on my connection.

The butterfly thing was basically about creating scalable massively multiplayer games using cluster and grid technology ... unlike all the retarded non scalable server schemes present games use.

This is more about data distribution than distributed computing.

MfA said:
The butterfly thing was basically about creating scalable massively multiplayer games using cluster and grid technology ... unlike all the retarded non scalable server schemes present games use.

This is more about data distribution than distributed computing.

Thats the exact thought I had in my mind when I posted earlier ...but I didn't want to state because it sounds weird to me (not having a central server to play Massive Multiplayer Games).....is that even possibe? Have the actual game installed on your PS3 (On a HDD :LOL: ). It would be like having your own personal mini server with an instance of the game installed....but as you connect to other PS3s there characters are interjected into your instance :?:

I don't know...the whole CELL and GRID vision they have seems to want to do something like that....but that would be really really cool...and without a central server...I don't see the point of a subscription...and updates would come in the form of patches you can download off of the web!

MfA said:
As I said, that isnt what this patent is about.

I'm also refering to how CELLs interact with eachother and how this can translate to MMORPGs. I think that would be a tremendous breakthrough if they where able to pull off something like Everquest without a central server...this whole thing about CELLs communicating and interacting or sharing power seems like it may lead to this. Sony DOES have to combat LIVE! how they do it, i'm not to sure....

Back