PS3 MegaBox Homebrew Project !!! WHOOOT !!!

m4trix

Newcomer
PS3Hax member Lichemaster, reported in his thread of a new PS3 homebrew project called MegaBox. MegaBox is similar to a media center, similar to the XBMC on Xbox 1, fully functioning on the PS3.

The MegaBox has many cool features that any PS3 owner would find interest in such as VoIP, P2P, TV, Movies (Including MKV), and much more! The full list is below.

The best part is the program will require NO INSTALLATION, and would be OPEN SOURCE (based on FREEVO). In layman's terms, all you need to do is pop in a CD/Flash drive with the program and anyone can enjoy it without too much problems (no need for linux either).

Full Features of MegaBox:

Originally Posted by MegaBox Features
Video:
1-Reproduction in the premises of almost all the formats of video, including the MKV.
2-Reproduction in Streaming (from Internet or the local network) reproduces just like in the point 1 that if, the MKV would cost to him more but, depending on the bandwidth of Internet, since in local network we have all 100MB.
to 3-Encoder and to decoder of DivX, DVD, TDT and others.
4-Recording to CD's/DVD's etc. (Necessary external recorder USB)
5-Possibility of using compatible digital cameras with Linux.

Audio:
1-Reproduction of all the habitual formats. (Local and streaming.)
2-Encoder and decoder of CD's and other formats.
3-Recording of CD's/DVD's etc… (Necessary external recorder USB.)
4-Possibility of using compatible reproducers MP3/MP4 with Linux

TV/Radio: (compatible with multiple models and marks of devices USB TV)
1-Reproduction of TDT, TDS, TDC and IMAGENIO. (Necessary USB capture device.) “one in pack MegaBOX PS3 will be included”
2-Radio and TV in streaming by Internet.
3-Recording of programs of TV “to the hard disk of the PS3, external Hard disk or to record it to CD/DVD “with possibility of programming the hour and date of recording.

Software:
1-FireFOX. (Formed with all plug-ins for its perfect operation.)
2-System P2P.
3-System VoIP and instantaneous mail.
4-Emulation of games of almost all the platforms. (Reading of ROM's from any unit, even from local NETWORK.)
5-Game for LINUX in 3D (to still not contrasted.)
6-Possibility of launching PS3 games directly from MegaBOX.
(In the future possibly ISO loader)
“Software requests are accepted”

Appearance:
1-Skins Manager so that you modify to your taste the appearance of MegaBOX in your PS3 (Necessary knowledge of XM)

Components needed:
1-Playstation 3 sixaxis (PS3)
2-Any compatible PS3 device

Screen Resolution:
1-1280x720 (720P)

NOT NEED TO INSTALL, is based on FREEVO and the source is gonna be released. You dont need to install linux, IE: you can run a live cd or put it on a mem card and run the media center from there. so everyone can use it without to much problems.

**UPDATE**

We have a small tutorial and the beta file if you are interested in trying this. Please note that it is very buggy at the moment and this is a BETA version.

Easy Instructions by StreetSkaterFU:
ISO Download (OS): http://www.rapidshare.com/files/82297965/k3b_0.rar.html
Petitboot Loader Download: http://ozlabs.org/~jk/projects/petitboot/
(PS3Hax mirror will be up soon for all those RS haters )

Installation (easy way):
--------------------------
1. Install the Petitboot Loader
2. Burn the ISO (from the dl link) as image on a cd
3. Start petitboot loader (Download this loader here)
4. Put in the cd
5. Choose CD icon with petitboot
6. Start the second icon
7. TADAAA... works

Sounds like just a customized Linux. But with a front end you can control with the SIXAXIS instead of a keyboard and mouse.

A good initiative, it will be interesting to see how far this goes. If it reaches XBMC-level functionality, but with HD support as well it would really make the PS3 a REALLY nice mediabox!

I don't know how these things work, but do you need to install or not?

You're confusing two different things here.

There's no software installation required on the internal HDD of the PS3, but you need to install the bootloader on the HDD, all the programs will be run from a flash drive / USB stick / CD-ROM image.

Has Sony issued any kind of stance on this? Are they encouraging this kind of development? I'd like to try this out but just want to make sure Sony doesn't ban my system months from now if they detect a bootloader they don't approve of.

Has Sony issued any kind of stance on this? Are they encouraging this kind of development? I'd like to try this out but just want to make sure Sony doesn't ban my system months from now if they detect a bootloader they don't approve of.

Well, it's just a customized Linux flavor + a boot loader. So unless the want to stop the use of Linux on the PS3 as a whole there's not much they can do about it.

4-Emulation of games of almost all the platforms.

If this emu thing contains MAME or Neo-Geo , then I don't think Sony will like this ... Who would pay for MKII or other old games if you can play them via roms on PS3 ?..

No screenshot ?

EDIT:
ppal_pq.jpg

I would imagine.

It's a start (actually, long overdue) to integrate all the separate media applications together though.

Great news I will keep my eye on it. This is my killer app for the PS3 I have been waiting for a real succesor to XBMC. I can't wait till the bugs are worked out.

No, the its still in early beta.Extremely buggy, people who tried it say its not very useful(in fact, it doesn't work at all.It does boot, but except that its useless).

Back