PS3 GDC Demos were not shown in HD.

Griffith said:
this is a you speculation
have you connected a hdmi 1.3 device to a hdmi 1.1 tv?
I don't think so

I just think that sony says that "It's very difficult to find an hdmi tv" saying that this is the cause that they can't use hdmi connection
I really don't think that sony can't find an hdmi 1.1 tv, I believe that they have difficult finding hdmi 1.3 tv
this could explain all the story

Are you a developer like MRwibble, *i* dont think so..

PLUS read what the other guys have written before you make such a stupid/arrogant post.

NucNavST3 said:
I don't want to sound like some HDMI basher, I love it, when it works, its GREAT, when you figure out how to get it to work, its GREAT. But it is not always just plug in the cable and voila!

You know the HDMI definition may illuminate the problem:

[size=-2]"The High-Definition Multi-media Interface (HDMI) is an industry-supported, uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface." - Wikipedia[/size]

Obviously, there's a world of difference between an "industry-supported" technology and an industry standard. This may explain the variation and incompatibility. ;)

What's more, the rift may disguise another sales opportunity ...

So if you really want to experience the hallucinogenic effect of PlayStation 3, you'll need one of Toshiba's all-new, fully-compatible HDTVs with Cell inside.

Say "Hello!" to your little friend, the multi-thousand dollar bundle. :mrgreen:

HDMI 1.3 is backwards compatible to HDMI 1.1. It would be dumb to completely shutout all the people with HDMI 1.1 TVs with the new HDMI 1.3 revisions. The problem with HDMI 1.1 is the amount of bandwith (I believe). Its not capable of outputting both HD Audio and Video...so you just get the HD Video.

I don't even understand why you guys discuss something like this for more than a full page of posts. This is completely non-news news.

WHO CARES if the prototype demo units didn't use HDMI cables? The point of the demonstration wasn't to demo HDMI, so the connection cable has no bearing on what was shown on-screen!

It must be a slow news day I guess... Sheesh. ;)

man there is so much arguing going on lately :p

if there is sony news, we'll hear some downplay it and vice versa for MS news

Guden Oden said:
I don't even understand why you guys discuss something like this for more than a full page of posts. This is completely non-news news.

WHO CARES if the prototype demo units didn't use HDMI cables? The point of the demonstration wasn't to demo HDMI, so the connection cable has no bearing on what was shown on-screen!

It must be a slow news day I guess... Sheesh. ;)

Well, after that big dinner some of us are left fighting over that last piece of meat.
We won't be getting a next big dinner for another month or so ;)

Yes, its a slow news day :p

BlueTsunami said:
Your also speculating so i'll give you the right answer....

HDMI 1.1 CAN carry a 1080p Signal but it CANNOT carry HD Audio (DTS Lossless etc)

HDMI 1.3 CAN carry a 1080p Signal and CAN carry HD Audio (DTS Lossless etc)

HDMI 1.3 CAN be connected to an HDMI 1.1 device, you just WON'T be able to resolve any HD Audio. End of story

Depends what you mean by "HD Audio" - HDMI 1.1 can carry 8 channel, uncompressed, 192KHz, 24-bit audio...

MrWibble said:
Depends what you mean by "HD Audio" - HDMI 1.1 can carry 8 channel, uncompressed, 192KHz, 24-bit audio...

I believe its the newer DTS or Dolby Lossless (or HD) formats. From the AVForums its been stated that HDMI 1.1 has issues carrying both 1080p Video with each of these Lossless (or uncompressed) standards.

dukmahsik said:
man there is so much arguing going on lately :p

if there is sony news, we'll hear some downplay it and vice versa for MS news

I don't see a knocking of the ps3 going on this thread. I see intelligent speculation as to whether 1080p BR movie playback will be possible via current HDMI 1.1 and component caspable TV's. I think that warrants intelligent debate until final specs are released.
Personally I think the models on display just didn't have final output hardware and the final ps3 design will have robust options for scaling and output.

Pozer said:
I don't see a knocking of the ps3 going on this thread. I see intelligent speculation as to whether 1080p BR movie playback will be possible via current HDMI 1.1 and component caspable TV's. I think that warrants intelligent debate until final specs are released.

There is a huge thread around here debating that very subject. Try doing a search.

BlueTsunami said:
I believe its the newer DTS or Dolby Lossless (or HD) formats. From the AVForums its been stated that HDMI 1.1 has issues carrying both 1080p Video with each of these Lossless (or uncompressed) standards.

That's odd - it should be entirely in spec to carry discrete uncompressed audio. Not sure about a specific encoding though - obviously if you're doing to use a particular format it'd need to have support in the standard and in the hardware. I've only ever seen it used for discrete, unencoded audio.

I've had the PS3 doing 1080p, and I've heard it doing surround audio - but I'm not sure if we ever tried both at the same time...

I don't have an amp on my desk or I'd give it a go.

MrWibble said:
That's odd - it should be entirely in spec to carry discrete uncompressed audio. Not sure about a specific encoding though - obviously if you're doing to use a particular format it'd need to have support in the standard and in the hardware. I've only ever seen it used for discrete, unencoded audio.
I've had the PS3 doing 1080p, and I've heard it doing surround audio - but I'm not sure if we ever tried both at the same time...

I don't have an amp on my desk or I'd give it a go.

You placed that one very well, you're gonna get inundated with people asking you all sorts of things now!! You big tease!! :D

Back