PS2 games upscaling???

if I had a 720p LCD tv, and a PS3 60GB unit, would it upscale PS2 games to 720?

Or would it upscale games to 1080p and then the LCD tv then downscales it to 720p?

I ask because I recently saw my friends PS2 running off component cables on a 1080p LCD HDtv and it looked like crap, so I was thinking of getting the 60/80GB PS3 but will be limited by the LCD HDtv that will fit in my small room that I'm also planning on getting.

I only have one game, GT4, and if I select "full screen" upscaling it doesn't display the whole image on my TV (Which has a 3% overscan)

It's not missing that much though, so if you get a TV than has the option to have no overscan it should be OK.

My opinion is though that it's still going to look crap, they are still PS2 games and it only upscales after rendering rather than rendering it in 720p natively (Hopefully they will adopt this approach in the future though)

There is the option for PS2 game upscaling using a funky upscaling algorithm, that can produce some excellent results when it works, but can also produce weird results. At the end of the day though, it won't look any worse than PS2 rendering on that same HDTV (as long as you've no compatibility glitches!), and may look better if the upscaling option works well with your title.

Mine does, anyway. But as mentioned, it doesn't always look great. But then I've stopped playing PS2 games with all these great PS3 titles around. ;)

so what you both are saying is that the PS3 will upscale PS2 games to 720 or am I mistaken?
There's an option to, using an unconventional scaler specifically designed to scale games rather than TV. Here's a good example...
IMG_8976.jpg

IMG_8978.jpg

Just go searching t' 'net for more examples. But like I say, the output won't be any worse than what you get from PS2 already. As long as the games you want to play are nicely compatible, you don't lose anything but switching to a PS3, and could gain.

I only have one game, GT4, and if I select "full screen" upscaling it doesn't display the whole image on my TV (Which has a 3% overscan)

It's not missing that much though, so if you get a TV than has the option to have no overscan it should be OK.

My opinion is though that it's still going to look crap, they are still PS2 games and it only upscales after rendering rather than rendering it in 720p natively (Hopefully they will adopt this approach in the future though)

I get the very same thing on my HDTV as well, & you are correct. It looks like crap.

so what you both are saying is that the PS3 will upscale PS2 games to 720 or am I mistaken?

Yes, it will scale them to whatever max resolution you have your PS3 set at. If you have the max supported resolution set at 1080p, it will scale to 1080p. Set at 1080i, it will send out a 1080i signal, etc.

Back