pros / cons of stripe raid with more than 2 drives?

Graham said:
hmm odd. I thought xp64 was effectivly just a cut down version of server 2003 standard edition (64bit with 32gb mem limit).? just with all the good servery bits removed...

Server 2003 standard edition, enterprise edition and datacenter edition are all 32bit.

There is a 64bit version of 2003 server for Intel Itanium machines.

And there are 64bit versions of 2003 and XP for 64bit x86 cpu's and those are identified as windows x64 versions. (x64 is the AMD's 64bit extension for x86 which Intel has adopted for P4 and Xeon)

If people are interested in some more detailed information about PAE/AWE /3GB switch etc:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283037

righteo.

thanks all. I guess no extra upgrades for me.

reguarding storage space, I'm not too concerned about that. I get along quite well on 60gig on my laptop.. 120 on my last pc.
Plus I'll be adding in a 120 into this machine as a backup and 'not that important' stuff drive.

As for what I'll be spending some extra money on... well... I'm thinking I might try and out-do my last attempt at an excessive computer audio setup. :p

or maybe I'll just save it for an xbox 360... hmm.

Biggest con with more drives in a stripe is that if you lose one drive, you'll lose the whole array. Since it sounds like this is a gaming rig, that's probably not a big deal.

Of course, with two more drives, you could mirror your stripe and have all the speed of RAID0 and the safety of RAID1. If you're gonna be excessive, might as well do it right!

Back