Project Sylpheed

PARANOiA

Veteran
I noticed I just completed another 360 game that has no thread on B3D. What is the world coming to? For the record, this ranks right up there on my list of under-rated gamed of the last few years.

It's got a few issues, such as frame-rate hiccups and camp Japanese operatic scripting ("do you think one day we'll get through all this and laugh about it together?"). It's pretty sparse in terms of variety or high-tech visuals... in fact, this is the epitome of what I consider a "high-res last gen game". It also pretty much requires multiple play-throughs to get the best weapons and upgrades... a little cheap in terms of milking replay value, but not uncommon.

But the good stuff is really good! I picked this up for less than half the price of a regular full priced game from Play-Asia, since it's region free, so in essence that makes its flaws extremely forgivable. It's challenging on the hardest difficulties, but it makes you feel like you're genuinely getting better as you take out more and more ships with fewer shots. The achievements and vast number of sub-achievements, such as taking out an optional crew of enemy squadrons, mean collector-types like me will go back for a lot more. There's great unlockable weapons, which also makes wanting to replay that much more enjoyable.

I guess what also makes this great is it's one of the few games in a classic genre that has had pretty much no releases in about a decade - the "Space Opera". In fact, I can't really remember any since the PS1 era except Freelancer.

Plus, it's a Squaresoft game, so the campness-factor fits right in. And for all those that think FF is the epitome of high art and story-writing, I salute you. ;)

There's also six free (long) missions on Marketplace. I've just played the first so far, taking about half an hour or so. How's that for value on a budget game?

No love for this cheap little gem?

I noticed I just completed another 360 game that has no thread on B3D. What is the world coming to? For the record, this ranks right up there on my list of under-rated gamed of the last few years.

It's got a few issues, such as frame-rate hiccups and camp Japanese operatic scripting ("do you think one day we'll get through all this and laugh about it together?"). It's pretty sparse in terms of variety or high-tech visuals... in fact, this is the epitome of what I consider a "high-res last gen game". It also pretty much requires multiple play-throughs to get the best weapons and upgrades... a little cheap in terms of milking replay value, but not uncommon.

But the good stuff is really good! I picked this up for less than half the price of a regular full priced game from Play-Asia, since it's region free, so in essence that makes its flaws extremely forgivable. It's challenging on the hardest difficulties, but it makes you feel like you're genuinely getting better as you take out more and more ships with fewer shots. The achievements and vast number of sub-achievements, such as taking out an optional crew of enemy squadrons, mean collector-types like me will go back for a lot more. There's great unlockable weapons, which also makes wanting to replay that much more enjoyable.

I guess what also makes this great is it's one of the few games in a classic genre that has had pretty much no releases in about a decade - the "Space Opera". In fact, I can't really remember any since the PS1 era except Freelancer.

Plus, it's a Squaresoft game, so the campness-factor fits right in. And for all those that think FF is the epitome of high art and story-writing, I salute you. ;)

There's also six free (long) missions on Marketplace. I've just played the first so far, taking about half an hour or so. How's that for value on a budget game?

No love for this cheap little gem?

Thanx for the heads up P!

I've been a little weary regarding this game from the reviews I read but I'm thinking now i'll jump in and give it a try..

I've always been a fan of some of the more "niche appreciated" titles through the years so i'm sure i'll be able to get something out of it..

I downloaded the demo from the marketplace waiting for something similar to the wing commander series…
It isn’t far off actually but I really don’t like the controls… Perhaps a flight stick would be more suitable. I just couldn’t hit anything with the controller…
Perhaps it’s just me…

Back