Project Eternity - the Obsidian Kickstarter

Indeed. I still think they should have added swag to the physical rewards as parts of the stretch goals to incite higher average pledges and lure in the fence-sitters. Especially since they don't have any actual game to show. Of course that would involve some calculations against the cost of manufacturing and shipping, but look at how something as "narrow" as Homestuck managed to rake in 2.5 million.

"While there are social concepts of good and evil," he added, "the game does not track an alignment for the player. Instead we will use a reputation system to keep track of what different groups in the world think of you. Consequences of your actions will matter in Project Eternity."

So if I kill some poor bloke and steal all his belonging, I will suddenly get a bad faction to his home region, despite no one saw me do it?

If it's like that, the system have been tried before and is terribly flawed. It would be like me badmouthing the germans and then on my holiday through Germany they would all know it and treat me like it.

Obsidian reportedly approached by publishers looking to exploit Kickstarter
"We were actually contacted by some publishers over the last few months that wanted to use us to do a Kickstarter,” said Urquhart in a comment, as reported by Destructoid. “I said to them ‘So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for [you], using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don’t get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits.’ They said, ‘Yes’.”

Wow.

They're shooting for $3m, I threw $140 for the CE box their way like a good little dork. I wouldn't mind the stronghold so hoping they hit their mark by Tuesday.

Already hit 3 million and then some now ($3.12m). Pledges are ramping up a bit again as it comes to the end. I was considering pledging quite a lot but wouldn't have the money soon enough to do it. Ended up just doing $200.

Closed on KS with 3.98 Million pledged. Ends as the biggest game Kickstarter yet! With Paypal contributions they broke $4.1 Million. Pretty excited about the game, but it's gonna be a long wait 'til 2014.

Yeah, LOL.

On the other hand, here is Urquhart's POV:
http://www.develop-online.net/features/1735/Shattering-records-Obsidians-Kickstarter
And if you cross that with Chen's statements (if you believe it is another thing):
http://www.develop-online.net/news/42436/Kickstarter-CEO-Well-never-sell

... then I think it maybe possible to maintain the spirit sort-of. Though I wonder if the job of crowdfunding-lobbyist exist already, how stupid can the [US] government be to try to regulate the comportment of social movements, please stick with companies.

Back