Prey demo on Xbox Live Marketplace

I think the problem is the lack of the hard disk as a standard. If you can't cache the data to a medium that you can have a fast access, you either have to stream it from DVD or you have to load everything to the memory. I guess portal tech. does not allow them to stream, so here comes the low rez textures.

I am ok with 30 fps. There are a couple of scenes in the demo which has so many object going on in the screen (where the captured Tommy and the rest of the pack was transported in the ship), and the frame rate was solid on those scenes. The only place I see a stutter is when you go in to the glass cube. I believe the size of the world becomes very huge at that moment and somehow engine has a hard time to keep up with that.

The game itself rocks. This is one of the most original FPS I have played so far for a long time. Gravity changes, portals, spirit walking, deathwalk are all pretty nice concepts and make the game really fun. This is definitely a must have title for an FPS player.

I don't think it's the gpu or a harddrive problem

if anything converting the whole renderer from opengl to directx in less then a year was a big deal

Very bad aliasing, low res texture, old gen like gameplay...horrible demo for a such hyped game.

well I wouldn't really call the gameplay last gen, the shooting may be average, but it's a lot of gameplay elements that haven't been done before

Galduta said:

360 pics looks brilliant, i see no difference whatsoever.

As for pc framerate, it fluctuates between 20 and 60, based on graphical settings and pc beef, its not "locked".

Big hdtv and 1080i, will solve all your problems.

Lysander said:
360 pics looks brilliant, i see no difference whatsoever.

:rolleyes:

As for pc framerate, it fluctuates between 20 and 60, based on graphical settings and pc beef, its not "locked".

In my system , about 50- 60 ;)

Big hdtv and 1080i, will solve all your problems.

I have a " small " 720 videoproyector - 1080 p ready- ;) :, no problem ...but with my PC. I am thinking about buying one 360 :???:

Mordenkainen said:
Really? You don't notice the 360 pics lack antialiasing and lightblooms?

Pc is not perfect either about aa, as for bloom goes you mean pc pics "shines" little more? What is this: "mom test" :LOL:

zed said:
wrong choice in gpu perhaps? (or do u want a more politically correct answer, ok then now the xb360 gpu is a great idea from a forward thinking perspective but its a prototype/experiment aka something u dont wanna ship, yet they have in the xb360!!! a fixed plaform, why i dont know perhaps the decision taker at ms was a gambler on crack)
we will hear lots about this over the coming years when the xb360 runs games at a lot lower frame rates than pcs/other consoles (*)

(*)dont get me wrong the xb360 gpu is still a good deal for the money, its just far from ideal; ie its a intel p4 :)

well i'm gonna wait and check Halo3, GoW, and new John Carmack game before i call Xgpu wrong choice ;) . Ofcourse games like prey and Q4 makes me wonder when mid range PC gpu outperform Xenos, but i don't know for sure is it hardware or bad code issue.

Lysander said:
Pc is not perfect either about aa...
The PC shots are actually using AA, where the 360 isn't.

Lysander said:
...as for bloom goes you mean pc pics "shines" little more? What is this: "mom test" :LOL:
It is one plainly obvious difference where you claimed you saw none.

Lysander said:
Pc is not perfect either about aa, as for bloom goes you mean pc pics "shines" little more? What is this: "mom test" :LOL:

I think you misunderstood. I didn't make any kind of reference of which screenshots looked better. You said you noticed no differences between 360 and PC screenshots so I asked if you really didn't notice the lack of AA and lightbloom. From this latest post of yours it's apparent you did notice it so now I'm curious why you said you hadn't.

I think they look very close, clearly the difference is not big enough to warrant this colossal bitching that is going on. I just tried the X360 demo on my 61" hdtv and it looked fine and the framerate was pretty good, I'm considering picking this one up.

we will hear lots about this over the coming years when the xb360 runs games at a lot lower frame rates than pcs/other consoles

This is an easy thing to say because there's no objective way to check framerates on consoles, therefore there's no objective way to compare them between consoles.

About all you get is various opinions, and since console games seem to always be declared to default to either 30 or 60 FPS and nothing in between.

Until there is, fairly meaningless statement. But I'm sure we'll see plenty of message board posts about low framerates on one's non-favorite console if that's what you mean by "hear lots".

About the screenshot comparo..unless we know the framebuffer grabs where taken in the exact same method with the exact same equipment it's difficult for me too judge.

What specs was the PC running in those grabs? Are all setting maxed? Also for all we know it could be a SLI rig with 16XAA turned on. And why is he getting 45 and 58 FPS indoors? What's the frame rate in a fight then?

That said, they look 80-90% identical. It has already been said the 360 version sport lower detail textures in some areas for memory reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
kyleb said:
It is one plainly obvious difference where you claimed you saw none.

Its IGN photo so you dont know what TV and camera they used (regarding bloom/hdr). On different tv it could look different (contrast, brightness, gama etc). My point is that differences are almost insignificant as all pics (pc/360) are slightly jagged.

Regarding framerate, Venom said it from the begining this will be 30 fps game "locked". That does not mean that they could not go for 60, but if they would go than they would have an issue to prevent "stutters", sudden falls from 60 to 40/30 fps, which could make this game even more "sick".

Last edited by a moderator:
overclocked said:
Well it just my opinion that Q4 to even more of a degree then Prey shoul be able to meet a 60fps. So yes bad coding even though its always the excuse but as usual claims of "solid 30fps" is BS. .
But that's the perspective of the consumer not the developer - "this game plays at 60 FPS and looks this good, so why can't X game also play at 60 FPS".

Bad coding is just one possible explanation, but it's the one people seem to use almost exclusively.

Dr Evil said:
I think they look very close, clearly the difference is not big enough to warrant this colossal bitching that is going on.
I think that if you owned a PC for nearly two years and saw it running the game with notably better image quality and framerate as I and others have, you would be understanding of our criticism rather than blowing it off as bitching.
Lysander said:
Its IGN photo so you dont know what TV and camera they used (regarding bloom/hdr). On different tv it could look different (contrast, brightness, gama etc).
You clearly don't know the difference, but those are not photos from a camera but rather framegrabs from a devkit.
Lysander said:
On different tv it could look different (contrast, brightness, gama etc).
Even if they were photos from a camera, that wouldn't change the fact that the 360 isn't rendering any light bloom or using any anti-aliasing.
Lysander said:
Regarding framerate, Venom said it from the begining this will be 30 fps game "locked".
And anyone who has played the demo knows the framerate drops much lower than 30.
Lysander said:
That does not mean that they could not go for 60, but if they would go than they would have an issue to prevent "stutters", sudden falls from 60 to 40/30 fps, which could make this game even more "sick".
Yeah, they didn't even manage to get a solid 30fps, shooting for 60fps would have taken even more work which they obviously weren't up for.

I don't know why some people can't respect the fact that some us understand how PCs and consoles each have their own benefits and drawbacks.

kyleb, is a lost fight, is an epidemic in all the forums that I have put it. Half of the owners of the 360 sees equal or better the captures of Prey in the 360 :cry: :cry: .

Nah, we all see better captures from the PC becuase we are all seeing the same captures, some people are just compelled to deny what they are seeing. ;)

kyleb said:
I don't know why some people can't respect the fact that some us understand how PCs and consoles each have their own benefits and drawbacks.

well I hear you and I'm certainly not going to ever argue with your opinion of what you see on the PC screen compared to X360. In fact, I've no doubt that you are correct about your assessment.

My comment actually wan't even sarcastic. I was serious because I hear many, many more of the drawbacks posted than the benefits and wonder at what point it becomes pointless to have a console compared to a PC (if you can afford it and enjoy tweeking).

kyleb said:

I don't know why some people can't respect the fact that some us might not find ports to be the best metric of the capabilities of a system...

Back