Prescott Celeron

mczak

Veteran
I haven't seen any major hardware review site seen pick this up, but here's a review of a (prescott) celeron 2.4A (in french): http://www.x86-secret.com/popups/articleswindow.php?id=101
IMHO a decent value cpu, unlike the northwood celerons which were just horrible (compared to similarly or lower priced low-end Athlon XP). The increased L2 cache really seems to help a lot, despite its still quite low 2-way associativity. Though unfortunately of course it inherits the nice space heater properties of the Prescott P4...

mczak said:
I haven't seen any major hardware review site seen pick this up, but here's a review of a (prescott) celeron 2.4A (in french): http://www.x86-secret.com/popups/articleswindow.php?id=101
IMHO a decent value cpu, unlike the northwood celerons which were just horrible (compared to similarly or lower priced low-end Athlon XP). The increased L2 cache really seems to help a lot, despite its still quite low 2-way associativity. Though unfortunately of course it inherits the nice space heater properties of the Prescott P4...

Never buy any generation of Celeron .. it's totally crappy ..

RainZ

rainz said:
mczak said:

RainZ

Not true at all, most celerons up until the P4 based ones were actually rather decent for the price, and the price/performance went absolutly through the roof if you were willing to overclock.

Since I've been building computers I've actually always bought the celerons, until Northwood came along. My very first system was built around a Celeron300A and an Abit BH6 I think the total system cost me something like $800 everything brand new, and it peformed the exact same as the more expensive PII 450MHz. Later replaced the 300A with a 566A overclocked that upto 850MHz no sweat. From birth to death that one system cost me approximately $1,500 just by upgrading, where as that's probably pretty close to what the difference in price that first celeron versus PII would have cost me. All the while offering identical performance.

Now the P4 based celerons, those are a whole nother story...

Well, when you consider the fact that it can actually be cheaper to build a Athlon based system that is quite a bit faster, it seems to point to the fact that Celeron's suck.

Killer-Kris said:
rainz said:
mczak said:

RainZ

Not true at all, most celerons up until the P4 based ones were actually rather decent for the price, and the price/performance went absolutly through the roof if you were willing to overclock.

Since I've been building computers I've actually always bought the celerons, until Northwood came along. My very first system was built around a Celeron300A and an Abit BH6 I think the total system cost me something like $800 everything brand new, and it peformed the exact same as the more expensive PII 450MHz. Later replaced the 300A with a 566A overclocked that upto 850MHz no sweat. From birth to death that one system cost me approximately $1,500 just by upgrading, where as that's probably pretty close to what the difference in price that first celeron versus PII would have cost me. All the while offering identical performance.

Now the P4 based celerons, those are a whole nother story...

Are you sure you were on the earth ?

RainZ

Well, Celeron 300A was indeed a good value CPU, especially for those who concern about AMD's plaform stability (such as VIA's chipsets).

Of course, P4 based Celerons are pretty bad, and AMD's platform stability has improved vastly. So Celerons are not very viable anymore.

rainz said:
Are you sure you were on the earth ?

RainZ

Nope, I sure was in heaven! I certainly couldn't complain when my ~$100 Celeron 300A matched an approximately $500-600 PII. Or when my ~$60 566A came pretty close to reaching 1GHz, and once again almost matched the performance of the equally clocked yet not anywhere near equally priced PIIIs. I don't have exact numbers from that time, but to me I think the price/performance ratio (especially when overclocked) was absolutely phenomenal.

Of course I wouldn't touch any of the new netburst based Celerons with a 10 ft pole. Especially when there is a better product in the form of of the AthlonXPs which also happen to be cheaper.

digitalwanderer said:
I STILL love my tulatin celeron 1.4Ghz @ 1.68Ghz, for $90us that chip has given me a loooooot of gaming pleasure!

I almost got one of those myself, only problem was that I couldn't find a Tualitan slocket to go in my BH6 :(

Ahh the days of being thrifty :)

It's a shame that AMD and Intel aren't trying to fight over the low end so much anymore. I really loved some of the chips that came out of that... so affordable, yet still fast if you were willing to take some small chances.

Killer-Kris said:
I almost got one of those myself, only problem was that I couldn't find a Tualitan slocket to go in my BH6 :(

I cheated. I had a no-name mobo explode on me and a CUSL2-C in my PC when it happened, so I picked up a TUSL2-C to replace the explodey one and swamped 'em around without telling the wife. (Hey, I had to replace the mobo anyways! ;) )

Back