PowerVR MBX in iPhone

Discussion in 'Mobile Graphics Architectures and IP' started by Rob Evans, Jul 4, 2007.

1. wco81

Legend

The iTunes visualizations.

You have these pulsing graphics you can have it display while it's playing music.

I think MP3 software has had them since Win Amp.

EDIT: While the visualizations may not be graphically demanding, you'd obviously be keeping the backlight on to display them, much longer than browsing through Cover Flow.

So there would be little utility to using them on battery power.

Maybe it would still be nice if you take you iPod to a party, plug it into an AV system.

#41 wco81, Sep 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2007
  2. RussSchultz

RussSchultz Professional Malcontent
    Veteran

Oh, absolutely.

The backlight is the largest power consumer in an PMP, generally.

3. darkblu

Veteran

has anybody here noticed that the iphone and ipod touch use different main parts?

iphone: Apple nomenclature '339S0030 ARM', corresponds to Samsung S5L8900

ipod touch: Apple nomenclature '339S0029 ARM', corresponds to what on Samsung's side?

4. roninja

Regular

no idea but both use MBX which is the most important aspect.

5. darkblu

Veteran

true. has it been confirmed, btw, that it's mbx and not mbx lite?

6. roninja

Regular

MBX not officially confirmed

7. Megadrive1988

Veteran

Late Feb 12, 2008, heh, this is the first I've read of the possibility of PowerVR MBX being in iPhone. I must first say that I really don't know a darn thing about iPhone, haven't really been interested but now I am!

Has it been confirmed that there's any variant of PowerVR in iPhone?

8. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Yes, it uses a MBX or a MBX Lite, that's confirmed based on firmware analysis. In fact, it might be confirmed to be a full MBX, but I can't quite remember that right now...

9. darkblu

Veteran

any hints to that confirmation?

10. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

I don't remember, otherwise I'd have said that already! ;) The chip definitely is a S5L8900 and a number of sites are claiming that's a full MBX, but I can't find any reliable source for that claim. Hmm.

11. roninja

Regular

Its not something official, however it is fairly common knowledge

12. Lazy8s

Veteran

Nothing I've seen distinguishes which member of the MBX family the iPhone uses. If the license came from the original Samsung deal, it would be an MBX Lite, but the whole Apple arrangement could've changed the circumstances.

Whether a complementary VGP is also integrated is another unknown.

The only spec I think I know about its graphics processor is that the clock speed is currently at 103 MHz.

13. darkblu

Veteran

i think that unless apple planned the iphone/touch to be a gaming devices, VGP presence in there is highly unlikely. even more so if the cpu already supposedly has fp SIMD extensions.

14. archie4oz

archie4oz ea_spouse is H4WT!
    Veteran

According to the SDK, it's an MBX Lite...

15. wco81

Legend

You got it already?

So what do you think 30% of the proceeds being Apple's cut? I guess iTunes is convenient and a distribution portal which reaches a lot of users. But seems pretty steep percentage.

Or a "nominal fee" for iPod Touch apps.?

You can't access the dock but apparently you can design games using the accelerometer.

16. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

I'm installing the SDK as we speak. :wink:

I think it's very reasonable. Compare it to selling apps for, say, PalmOS. There you had to make a deal with one of the many app portal sites and the cut was more like 40%. You still had to manage notifying users about upgrades etc.

Really important to me (as a iPhone user) is that buying an app is effortless. My credit card info is already stored at Apple anyway, so it's really just a matter of impulse buying without the physical action of getting your card out of your pocket.

For developers, the barrier to entry is just $99. My guess is that this is going to be wildly successful and that we'll see more apps than any platform before it. The quality of those remains to be seen, but inevitably, there'll be stuff that will stand out.

Still 4 months to wait...

17. archie4oz

archie4oz ea_spouse is H4WT!
    Veteran

Reasonable. I would've preferred 12-25% but it's not bad considering how that apple not only hosts, but also manages billing, any marketing, etc... Plus the level of store integration into the handset is pretty slick (You can obviously see that they were heavily inspired by Installer.app; giving it an iTunes mobile styled makeover).

As well as the camera, photo library, address book, Wi-Fi and EDGE. No word on accessing music library though (handy way of doing custom backrounds).

18. wco81

Legend

There might be some deals for placement on the App. store. The way they do it for the music and video content.

If developers rush in and there are tons of apps. available for it, there will probably be a premium for prominent placement.

With the "Made for iPod" certification, there's some QA by Apple as part of the vetting? Maybe something similar for apps.

Apple may have to slow down development of bundled apps., to give breathing room to developers (MacWrite and MacPaint). Maybe this means no iChat or not as much urgency, if AIM and other clients come out. Then again, who pays for IM software.

Does the SDK indicate how much RAM is available and have any guidelines/limitations on storage?

19. tangey

Veteran

Excellent news !!

#59 tangey, Mar 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2008
  20. NocturnDragon

Regular

Excellent news?

Being a MBX it's not news,
    and being a MBX Lite while being news it's not excellent, a MBX non Lite would have been excellent.