PowerVR MBX in iPhone

The iTunes visualizations.

You have these pulsing graphics you can have it display while it's playing music.

I think MP3 software has had them since Win Amp.

EDIT: While the visualizations may not be graphically demanding, you'd obviously be keeping the backlight on to display them, much longer than browsing through Cover Flow.

So there would be little utility to using them on battery power.

Maybe it would still be nice if you take you iPod to a party, plug it into an AV system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Late Feb 12, 2008, heh, this is the first I've read of the possibility of PowerVR MBX being in iPhone. I must first say that I really don't know a darn thing about iPhone, haven't really been interested but now I am!

Has it been confirmed that there's any variant of PowerVR in iPhone?

Yes, it uses a MBX or a MBX Lite, that's confirmed based on firmware analysis. In fact, it might be confirmed to be a full MBX, but I can't quite remember that right now...

I don't remember, otherwise I'd have said that already! ;) The chip definitely is a S5L8900 and a number of sites are claiming that's a full MBX, but I can't find any reliable source for that claim. Hmm.

Nothing I've seen distinguishes which member of the MBX family the iPhone uses. If the license came from the original Samsung deal, it would be an MBX Lite, but the whole Apple arrangement could've changed the circumstances.

Whether a complementary VGP is also integrated is another unknown.

The only spec I think I know about its graphics processor is that the clock speed is currently at 103 MHz.

i think that unless apple planned the iphone/touch to be a gaming devices, VGP presence in there is highly unlikely. even more so if the cpu already supposedly has fp SIMD extensions.

Nothing I've seen distinguishes which member of the MBX family the iPhone uses. If the license came from the original Samsung deal, it would be an MBX Lite, but the whole Apple arrangement could've changed the circumstances.

Whether a complementary VGP is also integrated is another unknown.

The only spec I think I know about its graphics processor is that the clock speed is currently at 103 MHz.

According to the SDK, it's an MBX Lite...

You got it already?

So what do you think 30% of the proceeds being Apple's cut? I guess iTunes is convenient and a distribution portal which reaches a lot of users. But seems pretty steep percentage.

Or a "nominal fee" for iPod Touch apps.?

You can't access the dock but apparently you can design games using the accelerometer.

You got it already?
I'm installing the SDK as we speak. ;)

So what do you think 30% of the proceeds being Apple's cut? I guess iTunes is convenient and a distribution portal which reaches a lot of users. But seems pretty steep percentage.
I think it's very reasonable. Compare it to selling apps for, say, PalmOS. There you had to make a deal with one of the many app portal sites and the cut was more like 40%. You still had to manage notifying users about upgrades etc.

Really important to me (as a iPhone user) is that buying an app is effortless. My credit card info is already stored at Apple anyway, so it's really just a matter of impulse buying without the physical action of getting your card out of your pocket.

For developers, the barrier to entry is just $99. My guess is that this is going to be wildly successful and that we'll see more apps than any platform before it. The quality of those remains to be seen, but inevitably, there'll be stuff that will stand out.

Still 4 months to wait...

Reasonable. I would've preferred 12-25% but it's not bad considering how that apple not only hosts, but also manages billing, any marketing, etc... Plus the level of store integration into the handset is pretty slick (You can obviously see that they were heavily inspired by Installer.app; giving it an iTunes mobile styled makeover).

You can't access the dock but apparently you can design games using the accelerometer.

As well as the camera, photo library, address book, Wi-Fi and EDGE. No word on accessing music library though (handy way of doing custom backrounds).

There might be some deals for placement on the App. store. The way they do it for the music and video content.

If developers rush in and there are tons of apps. available for it, there will probably be a premium for prominent placement.

With the "Made for iPod" certification, there's some QA by Apple as part of the vetting? Maybe something similar for apps.

Apple may have to slow down development of bundled apps., to give breathing room to developers (MacWrite and MacPaint). Maybe this means no iChat or not as much urgency, if AIM and other clients come out. Then again, who pays for IM software.

Does the SDK indicate how much RAM is available and have any guidelines/limitations on storage?

Back