platinum hits discs

noneofexion

Newcomer
When a 360 game is released as a "Platinum Hits" title, aside from changing the cover insert for the case - is the disc data itself any different?

I know there is no new content and that it is the same game, but are previously released Live bug fixes/bug patches included in the game disc packaged in the Platinum Hits cases, or is it exactly the same, bit-for-bit?

Any insight is appreciated!

I believe in some cases they are, but not all cases. I would expect the first run of platinum discs to not be any diferent since they might be clearing out inventory, but later runs will include the bux fixes, etc.

Tommy McClain

Thanks for the response,

So you think they'd have discs lying around but had made less of the cases? In other words, the "first run" you speak of Platinum Hits are discs that were pressed without a corresponding press of cases and manuals the original go-round?

Or do they strip the cases and put the new print inside them, so they're just throwing out paper rather than pressing new discs? (apologies if this is moving into a non-topic for this section)

If only there was a version number somewhere you could see on the discs (streetfighteriv.360.exe v1.1), etc.

This is mostly a curiosity thing, I just wonder if they make a new master image and press from that or if they just use the same master and reprint the inserts. Of course, it isn't a big deal to get on Live and nab the patches (unless of course you don't have internet access),

Is there any way to see a version # for a disc you have? On the disc itself, that is?

Also, if it's reusing unsold copies, there's no need to make new cases. At most you just have to reprint cover inserts.

Regards,
SB

Thanks for the response,

So you think they'd have discs lying around but had made less of the cases? In other words, the "first run" you speak of Platinum Hits are discs that were pressed without a corresponding press of cases and manuals the original go-round?

Or do they strip the cases and put the new print inside them, so they're just throwing out paper rather than pressing new discs? (apologies if this is moving into a non-topic for this section)

If only there was a version number somewhere you could see on the discs (streetfighteriv.360.exe v1.1), etc.

This is mostly a curiosity thing, I just wonder if they make a new master image and press from that or if they just use the same master and reprint the inserts. Of course, it isn't a big deal to get on Live and nab the patches (unless of course you don't have internet access),

Is there any way to see a version # for a disc you have? On the disc itself, that is?

In my experience they would put alpha-numeric characters on the spine at the bottom or somewhere on the back. They did this on the original Splinter Cell for Xbox. The very first versions that shipped were the original version of the game before the updates. Subsequents versions of the Platinum Hits cases would have a different alpha-numeric characters which denoted the versions with the latest update. Splinter Cell was one those titles that could be use an exploit to softmod your console. If you had the newer version it wouldn't work. That's why I know that Platinum Hits can have differing versions. ;)

Tommy McClain

I don't think it makes sense to hold inventory of a bunch of pressed discs that are not in package. All discs probably get packaged, and when the game goes platinum, the original editions get discounted to the platinum price as the platinum-packaged discs make their way through the pipeline.

Back