Ouch.

Mariner

Veteran
A bit of trouble here in English football after a rather nasty challenge by Ben Thatcher in a game the other night between Portsmouth and Manchester City:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTRaS7ffyWg

The referee decided it was worthy of a yellow card which under FIFA rules means that he probably can't be punished any further for it by the footballing authorities. The Police may get involved however so prison is an option!

Living 2 mins from Manc City Stadium makes me wish that all footballers would go to prison. What happened last night was playground rules. ie. FUN! I find it disgusting how wimpish footballers are now.

Case in point : me and mate watching an Italy match in the latest World Cup, and he's telling me a "funny" story about how the Italy players will ALWAYS try to gain the upper hand by feigning injury at the slightest thing, about how the face is the most important part of the body, so they always check their nose to see if its bleeding. As soon as he finished that line, a player from the opposite team BUMPED into one of the Italy guys, on his arm. Italy guy fell over, and then craaaaaaawled to his knees. Then, to my horror, he put his hand to his nose, then checked his fingers for blood. At NO POINT did his face come into contact with ANYTHING at all. Just, oh, my, god.

They'll want huge padding soon. :LOL:

Looks more than borderline assault-ish that one. The dude steered right at the other guy, wth was he thinking?

Must have hurt quite a lot I can imagine. Ouch.

Must have hurt quite a lot I can imagine. Ouch.

Mendes was knocked unconscious, collided with the advertising hoardings and had a fit at the side of the pitch before being stretchered off to hospital. I hope they throw the book at Thatcher.

The best part of this video is the attacker just walks away completely nonchalant like "lol what accident??!!11"

Its a shame that they wont prosecute this guy.

The club have said they will discipline the guy internally and that will be the end of the matter.

Which is a shame really. Players should be held accountable for what they do on the pitch. Make an example of him I say, that was directly assault.

If this happened on the playing fields, the guy who did the assult would have been hauled to the police!

The forearm is the deal there. If he'd just run him down at near out of control speeds, just a touch out of bounds, you could argue for a case of really bad judgement, but adding the forearm shiver pretty much seals the deal this wasn't an "oops".

Back