Opera 10.5 PRE-ALPHA - THINK THRICE BEFORE USING

Fixed post; 10.51 is a security release with few improvements in other departments.
The question is when will 10.52 or whatever version that fixes all its teething problems be released?
The 10.50 line replaced the underlying QT-Framework with APIs directly supported on each OS. There are atleast 3 different backends that need to be brought into shape... and after Windows the Opera Team works hard to get the Unix and Mac Versions done.
I guess the necessary polishing of UI and features will have to wait until after that. Worst thing IMHO is that 10.50 does well in all those damn JS-Benchmarks which seem to became the singular measure of speed in the last few months, while often choking on rendering pages (which older versions dint)

There are some interesting articles out there suggesting that Opera benefitted quite a lot from the recent Browser choice that Microsoft has had to add to Windows for the E.U. Also a little tidbit I was not aware of is that apparently Opera is the biggest browser in Russia (33% of the market)

The question is when will 10.52 or whatever version that fixes all its teething problems be released?
The 10.50 line replaced the underlying QT-Framework with APIs directly supported on each OS. There are atleast 3 different backends that need to be brought into shape... and after Windows the Opera Team works hard to get the Unix and Mac Versions done.
I guess the necessary polishing of UI and features will have to wait until after that. Worst thing IMHO is that 10.50 does well in all those damn JS-Benchmarks which seem to became the singular measure of speed in the last few months, while often choking on rendering pages (which older versions dint)

Not just speed; according to Google, Opera is also the browser with the most compliant JavaScript engine. I'm still using one of the 10.5 beta snapshot and I don't have any rendering stalls and my only other browser installed is IE8 and Opera 10.1.

As I said, 10.5 was rushed and I haven't tried the final, perhaps it's worse than the snapshot I'm using.

Back