Omap 3430

roninja

Regular
TI maps out its 3G handset strategy

Patrick Mannion, John Walko
EE Times
(02/14/2006 8:30 AM EST)

BARCELONA, Spain — Texas Instruments has unveiled the main elements of its OMAP 3 architecture for mobile phones centered round an applications processor that will be the first to use ARM’s Cortex-A8 superscalar technology and one of the first to be made using a 65-nm process.
Unveiled Tuesday (Feb. 14) at the 3GSM World Congress here, TI said its third iteration of the OMAP platform would transform the mobile phone into a personal and professional tool that allows consumers to integrate work and entertainment into one device.

The first device for the platform, the OMAP 3430 multimedia processor, is expected to be sampling in mid-2006 and in volume production next year.

"We're taking the applications processor to another level," said Richard Templeton, TI's chief executive officer. "The cellphone is a device that people can't do without and we're now adding features such as multithreading so they can do multiple things at the same—but with higher performance and lower power. It's a whole new class."

Aside from the use of the latest in microprocessor and DSP technology, Templeton pointed to the use of advanced software architectures, "to keep them fed."

According to Templeton, the new OMAP 3 will be the highest featured product announcement at the conference, though he also pointed to movements in the gaming industry toward standard interfaces and gaming platforms, as well as more announcements concerning the company's single-chip GSM phone.

Predicted at 3GSM three years ago, the single-chip phone emerged early 2005. Now, according to Templeton, the low-cost device will "help GSM become the dominant standard of choice." At the same time, he believes the Digital RF Processing technology behind the chip will also enable converged devices, starting, for example, with wireless LAN and Bluetooth.

“It’s a huge step-up in performance and low power capability, with for instance a 30 percent power savings compared to OMAP 2 processors, and will enable parallel applications through the support of 12 megapixel image capture with less than a second shoot-to-shoot delayâ€, Richard Kerslake, worldwide general manager of the OMAP platform business told EE Times .

“Many of the technical aspects of the processor and OMAP 3 architecture are as a result of feedback from customers of what they want to see in 3G phones of the future, and these early adopters will be getting engineering samples in a few months,†said Kerslake. Nokia and Sony Ericsson are amongst the biggest users of the previous OMAP platforms, as are many Japanese manufacturers.

Kerslake said the stand-alone device — details of the modem for the platform will be released later — “offers the kind of performance you could get a few years ago from a laptop PCâ€.

Much of this performance comes through use of the ARM Cortex-A8 superscalar core, which, Kerslake said, “combined with our DSP delivers three times the performance possible from the ARM 11 used in OMAP 2 processors, and does this with lower powerâ€.

The superscalar processor core is said to generate almost double the performance per MHz compared to previous generation versions, featuring deeper pipelines, higher frequency and dedicated Level 2 cache.

The processor runs at 550MHz, rather than the typical 330 MHz for the OMAP 2 processors.

In addition to the Cortex-A8 microprocessor , the 3430 has a 2D/3D graphics accelerator and a video and audio processor.

hmm wonder what the 3D accelerator is? MBX, SGX or another....????

roninja said:
MBX, SGX or another....????
I don't imagine it would be MBX. SGX is the obvious possibility, with OMAP2 already using PowerVR it would not be surprising for that relationship to continue.

I see Nokia mentioned in that press release. Is OMAP3 destined for the next-next-generation NGage? Does that mean NGage 2 will have a short life span, or will the platforms coexist?

Hmm. The ARM has gone a long way from the humble acorn archimedes... :)

The PR doesn't mention 3G, but rather announces GSM as the 'platform of choice'. This would seem a bit narrowminded to me, seeing as 3G is really starting to take off in euroland now, and already has long ago in japan I believe. When one can get an uber phone like the Nokia 8260 for a low fee of roughly $12/month including $8.50 of free calls worth, 3G shows it has really matured.

deviantchild said:
Virtio's OMAP 3430 virtual platform specification states: "Display Subsystem (LCD Controller), Camera Subsystem ISP, 2D/3D Graphics (MBX)"
See here:- http://www.virtio.com/products/page/0,2573,39,00.html

I've no idea what OMAP3 will contain exactly but reading more carefully through that link I stopped at the following paragraph:

The OMAP3430 graphics subsystem incorporates the next-generation video, imaging and audio accelerator 2 (IVA? 2+) standard, enabling system designers to have access to a full simulation of the accelerator before hardware becomes available. This feature allows developers to efficiently transition from TI's first generation IVA to the second generation IVA 2+ technology and benefit from this new technology today. VPOM-3430 also allows developers to develop, integrate and test advanced multimedia applications and middleware in advance of hardware.

Ailuros said:
I've no idea what OMAP3 will contain exactly but reading more carefully through that link I stopped at the following paragraph:

[IVA2+]
The block diagram shows IVA2+ as distinct from the 2D/3D graphics. It looks to be an accelerator for things like JPEG compression. Some manner of DSP perhaps.

deviantchild said:
Virtio's OMAP 3430 virtual platform specification states: "Display Subsystem (LCD Controller), Camera Subsystem ISP, 2D/3D Graphics (MBX)"
That's a little disappointing. I wonder how high it'll be clocked?

OK, next NGage question no-one will be able to answer. If the NGage 2 platform is built upon OMAP2, would an OMAP3 based device still be able to supply that platform?

Back