Odd behaviour with picture folders and Explorer

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Hey guys,

Weekly Windows problem thread.

I installed Photoshop a few months ago and ever since then, when i go into a folder in my system, and the folder has some pictures, the thing takes ages to open, whether it's set to "thumbnails" or not. And when it does, some preview icons look ok, some look very small, and some have that icon when Windows doens't recognise the file. If i refresh the folder, everything goes back to normal, all preview icons are fine, and it's all fast.

It also happens then trying to, for example, open a file to be attached to an email, or from any "open" menu on any program.
Most annoyingly is that with folders with a lot of pictures, the whole thing goes wonky for a while. Very irritating.

I know i should just uninstall Photoshop, but the thing is, i need Photoshop. And even then, i'm not sure that will fix the problem.

Any tips?

Thats to do with photoshop CS's file explorer it sounds like. I tend to use photoshop 7 since thats the only version BT (the company not Bittorrent prying eyes) will give me... uhm...

Fiddle around with the options in photoshop on the file explorer. Click all the wierd looking little buttons.

sytaylor said:
Thats to do with photoshop CS's file explorer it sounds like. I tend to use photoshop 7 since thats the only version BT (the company not Bittorrent prying eyes) will give me... uhm...

Fiddle around with the options in photoshop on the file explorer. Click all the wierd looking little buttons.

Ok, file explorer. will do when i get home. If only Photoshop's
Preferences/Option menu thing was actually useful. :?

london-boy said:
sytaylor said:

Ok, file explorer. will do when i get home. If only Photoshop's
Preferences/Option menu thing was actually useful. :?

Oh well, you can always switch to Macromedia products. Errr...

;)

london-boy said:
Hey guys,

Weekly Windows problem thread.

I installed Photoshop a few months ago and ever since then, when i go into a folder in my system, and the folder has some pictures, the thing takes ages to open, whether it's set to "thumbnails" or not. And when it does, some preview icons look ok, some look very small, and some have that icon when Windows doens't recognise the file. If i refresh the folder, everything goes back to normal, all preview icons are fine, and it's all fast.

It also happens then trying to, for example, open a file to be attached to an email, or from any "open" menu on any program.
Most annoyingly is that with folders with a lot of pictures, the whole thing goes wonky for a while. Very irritating.

I know i should just uninstall Photoshop, but the thing is, i need Photoshop. And even then, i'm not sure that will fix the problem.

Any tips?

maybe stupid question....but why dont you go to those files and use option to always open these files with something like Xnview :
http://www.xnview.com/

or pixrezier :

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

maybe if you associate files with some other prgram then PS, you wouldnt have such problems.....

i strongly recomend this also -> http://www.picasa.com/

these are just few shots in the dark, but you can try..... ;)

Back