Nvidia Turing Speculation thread [2018]

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Voxilla, Apr 22, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pharma

Veteran Regular

Agreed. In theory if performance has advanced up or exceeds 1080 levels then people shouldn't have a problem with the 2070 price. I can see where new metrics might be needed to measure the overall benefit of the new architecture (merging ray-tracing, ai, rasterization, compute). Reviews can't come soon enough!

2. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Well, I guess they have improved the cuda cores too. I really think 2070 will be better than 1080 even without RT / Tensor.

A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y and pharma like this.
  3. no-X

Veteran

RTX 2070 has 40 % higher bandwidth than GTX 1080 and only 10 % less CUDA Cores. It would be very surprising if the RTX 2070 wouldn't be faster than GTX 1080 even if it was based on the same architecture.

Lightman and pharma like this.
  4. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Yup, no Damien review this time :(

5. OCASM

Regular Newcomer

DXR has a compute shader fallback. Next-gen consoles can use it in limited form even without hardware support.

Kej, DavidGraham, Rootax and 2 others like this.
  6. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Well no I mean you could say that about every generation. E.g. if people paid $500 for GTX580 they should be okay paying $500 for a 660 since they perform about the same (at the time anyway). That's not how it's supposed to work.

Kej, Tarkin1977, trinibwoy and 5 others like this.
  7. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Ryan Smith likes this.
  8. ToTTenTranz

One cool thing about introducing a bunch of non-general-purpose units in the chip instead of just increasing ALU count is that mining performance might be very similar to the significantly smaller Pascal solutions. GPU miners may actually pass on the new hardware and just keep their current cards instead.

nvidia has been steadily increasing the average selling price of cards using similarly sized chips, AFAIK at a much faster inflation than what the newer processes demand.
    Their constant record-breaking revenues still come mostly from the geforce products, which are ~75% of their business IIRC. It's >10x larger than automotive and 2.5x larger than datacenter (they're much more dependent on gamers than what they'd like to admit).

Let's hope Raja at Intel doesn't drop the ball with the upcoming discrete GPUs, and Sony's rumored heavy participation on Navi paid off for AMD's side.
    The price of the RTX family is screaming for decent competition.

Picao84 likes this.
  9. lanek

Veteran

Yes, Nvidia have clarify it.......

RT support:
    - Assetto Corsa Competizione
    - Atomic Heart
    - Battlefield V
    - Control
    - Enlisted
    - Justice
    - JX3
    - MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries
    - Metro Exodus
    - ProjectDH
    - Shadow of the Tomb Raider

DLSS support:
    - Ark: Survival Evolved
    - Atomic Heart
    - Dauntless
    - Final Fantasy XV
    - Fractured Lands
    - Hitman 2
    - Islands of Nyne
    - Justice
    - JX3
    - Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries
    - Player Unknown's Battlegrounds
    - Remnant: From the Ashes
    - Serious Sam 4: PLanet Badass
    - Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    - The Forge Arena
    - We Happy Few

DrYesterday, iroboto, BRiT and 4 others like this.
  10. MDolenc

Regular

It is however at least a Volta class SM though. A dedicated and fast int path plus if it has large register file (which I'd say is very likely due to full tensor core setup) will definitely make it a seriously fast mining card...

11. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

I'm curious to see what DLSS can bring over implementations like TXAA. It will be interesting to see how it performs allowing offloading to the Tensors and whether it gives access to framebuffer data or if it's post-process only. I really don't know enough about it.

Are reviewers going to have access to any games with RT or DLSS implementations for the reviews?

pharma likes this.
  12. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Yup. From the sound of it may only be a post process (but a really good one). But I still can't wrap my brain around the claim that Jensen made during the presentation: "We invented TAA!". No you didn't mate (Siggraph 1983 !): . Neither did Nvidia invent the first GPU or the first RT GPU...ridiculous.

#452 Ike Turner, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Kej, Silent_Buddha, BRiT and 2 others like this.
  13. pharma

Veteran Regular

Nvidia's RTX highlights AI influence on computer graphics
    https://www.techspot.com/news/76065-nvidia-rtx-highlights-ai-influence-computer-graphics.html

14. BoMbY

Newcomer

DLSS? As in approximating (faking) higher resolutions in real time, instead of actually rendering higher resolutions?

15. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

I think that largely depends on two factors: technological departure and competitive environment. As such, I think G80 presents a good analogue:
    • Significant departure from previous architecture
    • Very large die size by the day's standards (both were the largest consumer GPUs to date at launch)
    • Relative competitive vacuum: launched as clear-cut performance leaders with competition's counterparts many months away.
    • While not a simultaneous 3-tier release, the "super high end" part did come within about 6 months into largely intact competitive landscape despite R600 launch

upload_2018-8-21_12-2-26.png

I think the biggest mistake is calling $1,000 card "TI", a price point which has historically been reserved for Titan-class cards and, which is is by far the biggest departure form $650-700 price point these cards have historically been at. Should have called it a "Titan" and then released similar-specked "TI" card early next year at $800 price point and raffled a lot less feathers.

Depending on the performance, $1000 may or may not be a fair value 2080 TI but regardless they messed up their own price tier/naming convention for no good reason.

16. mavere

Newcomer

Well, I imagine (and hope) that'll be an actual option in games that support that the feature.

But otherwise, I think this is a currently being touted as a specific anti-aliasing method. That is, if you were playing at 1080p, DLSS would calculate what all or parts of the image at 4K would look like and downscale the result to your 1080p so you get fewer aliasing effects.

17. pharma

Veteran Regular

NVIDIA's Move From GTX to RTX Speaks to Belief in Revolutionary Change in Graphics
    https://www.techpowerup.com/246930/...to-belief-in-revolutionary-change-in-graphics

#457 pharma, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2018
  18. A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y

Regular

pharma likes this.
  19. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

Got to control the excepted definitions.

20. giannhs

Newcomer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.