NVIDIA Q4: Ouch! $481M revenue, <30% margins

Arun

Unknown.
Legend
PR: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=116466&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1255207&highlight=
News item: http://beyond3d.com/content/news/709

Summary/Semi-Transcript:
JHH
- Must balance OpEx and R&D. Have plans to reduce it noticeably by the end of Q2.
- [List of Innovations]
- Shipped Tesla for revenue this year.
- [CUDA/Tesla Marketing]
- [Ion Marketing]
- [Tegra] - designed in PMPs/PNDs/Smartphones/Mobile Internet Computers. Revenue ramping in the second half.

Marv
- [See PR]
- Weakness across the board. GPU down 47%, Pro down 44%, MCP down 51%.
- Desktop 'only' down 34%, regained share but high-end still very soft.
- All of this was related to the environment of channel inventory.
- We believe channel inventory is down to slightly less than one month, down from roughly three months.
- 29.4% gross margins from a GAAP basis. New inventory reserves of more than $40M, 4-5x more than normal.
- This cost us 10% gross margins, would have still declined otherwise but more associated to change of mix.
- [Insurance stuff wrt packaging problems]
- Put on hold campus construction, one-time charge. Without this, OpEx would have been below guidance.
- Headcount: 5420 (not sure I heard right?) - only critical positions being filled.
- [Tax & Net Income Stuff]
- On the balance sheet, cash is at $1.26B. This is down $49M from Q3, operations only used $20M in cash.
- Receivable appear in good shape.
- Lot of inventory, but still good, so simply drastically reduced manufacturing demands.
- We have a focus on reducing Capex and want it to be less than amortization on a quarterly basis.

- Outlook: Almost impossible to give a reasonable forecast in this environment.
Very wrong last time. In retrospect, October was the last good month and wasn't in the quarter.
We do not see further declines in revenue given the channel situation.
Overall, we expect flat to slightly up revenue. Margins to go back to the mid-30s.
Normally, Q1 has higher OpEx (given less time off etc.) but [missed] so should be roughly flat.

JHH
- [GPU Marketing]

Q&A

Q: Why so confident about your revenue guidance?
A: We track sell-outs rigorously in the market place.
And you heard this by nearly every computer company in the world... End-markets fine in October, November fell off a cliff.
End-markets improved slightly since then [...] So we have a pretty good sense of inventory levels.
"There are a lot of people in the world who don't know what they don't know right now."
[...]

Q: How much is it units, how much is it specs and ASPs?
And the longer the downturn, what's the risk with IGPs being long enough by the
A: ASPs were generally flat this quarter. From that you could argue people aren't buying down per-se.
But netbook phenomenom. No GPU exposure in low-mid and low-end. We still netbooks to cannibalize mid-range.
[Ion Marketing]
High-end will survive, plenty of reasons for performance, but the mid-range could definitely become a very large low-end.

Q: What are you assuming wrt the environment?
A: If you just assume the market didn't get any better, our revenue has to go up, because channel inventory went down last quarter.
From 2.5-3 months to 1-1.5 months. [...] We have more 65nm than I thought given the lower revenue, but still mostly 55nm.

Q: 140 days for inventory, where does that go next quarter? Margins going forward? OpEx planning dynamics?
A: Significantly cut back wafer starts. So significant reduction in Q1. Going forward, should last into Q2 & Q3 before we replenish.
$35M OpEx reduction is what we can do without killing future revenue. Would still not break even, issue is when revenue recovers.

Second half of this year, we have areas of growth we are quite confident about. Tegra will ship towards the second half.
Tesla continues to ramp. Ion should contribute greatly going forward. [...]

Q: 40nm?
A: We have really fabulous products in the market place today, we don't announce future products.

Q: Margins for new market segments? Gaming platform comments?
A: Tesla accretive, Tegra not a drag, Ion in the mid-30s.
Sony royalties is based on their unit production. They're projecting much lower production in Q1 than Q4.

Q: On Ion, what does the ramp look like?
A: I don't know. We have notebook projects happening all over the world. Lots of unknowns.
Design wins launch every quarter, hopefully fully ramped up for Q3/Q4.
[...]
Q: OpEx, is it broad-based?
A: Executives took the largest cut, but almost all of our employees will make contributions. Travel reductions, etc.
[...]
A: There is nothing we are experiencing right now that is seasonal. [continue to invest/innovate/...]

Q: How close are we to competing for the next generation of game consoles?
A: It makes no sense to comment on rumours. It would also be terrible to comment on future products of our customers.
[...]

Q: Workstation business?
A: It took a precipitous decline, was surprising. Thought if there was a safe haven, that was it. Continued weakness.
[...]
Q: Positioning of Ion with Intel supporting 720p in the future?
A: [Ion Marketing]
[...]

[Several questions that aren't all that interesting to be honest]

OUCH ?
notice the word revenue if amd made 1/400th millionth of what nv made they'd be happy

Off the top of my head i think the ati part of amd did around $280million in revenue last quarter(although both companies quarters dont quite cover the same time period).

Nvidias loss was 27c per share(est 18c loss excluding one time charges) compared to analysts estimates of 9c share. Revenue came in below analysts $491million according to Reuters.

Also compared to last year revenue is down 60%.

I was going to post 8 hours ago, i saw an article talking about a large number of people taking short positions on the stock ahead of the announcement. So i guess something leaked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow the whole industry is really taking a big hit as a result of the economic turmoil. Does this mean that consumers are just buying way less than they used to or are there other factors at play?

Posted the summary/semi-transcript above, didn't catch the last few questions because they weren't really very interesting. I also tried to do it a bit more dense than usual. Enjoy! :)

Off the top of my head i think the ati part of amd did around $280million in revenue last quarter

AMD GPG division is not the whole ATI part - chipsets and IGPs are not counted. That makes the graphics part pretty close (still not the same period).

“When you start looking at a PC today the central processor means less and less. The GPU is simply becoming a better way for PC makers to differentiate.”

Oh dear, I guess someone still doesn't like intel, so TriSLi GTX285's with a 550Mhz Duron then?

Off the top of my head i think the ati part of amd did around $280million in revenue last quarter(although both companies quarters dont quite cover the same time period).

Close, it was 270 million (for all GPU related revenue) according to

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/090122/20090122006129.html?.v=1

So it's still far behind Nvidia (at 481.1 million), but not by as much as I was thinking. Also considering this revenue includes all of Nvidia's revenue (chipsets, etc). Not sure how much of that is purely Nvidia's GPU revenue.

Still. GPU down 47% for Nvidia, ouch. Is that quarter to quarter or year to year? Looks like that's compared to Q4 of 2007.

Compared to ATI (again all of AMD's gpu revenue) 8% down from Q4 of 2007.

You can see the little price war has hurt Nvidia's bottom line more. But at least they were able to stop the marketshare bleeding and regain some position last quarter.

Is Nvidia expecting to pull out a trump card or expecting AMD to let up the price pressure? I'm not sure why they are so rosy right now about margins going back up to the mid-30's just yet.

Ah, ok looked some more. It looks like they are predicting ION will bring up their overall margins. I guess this all depends on how competitive Poulsbo (did I get that right?) is in power consumption and video acceleration.

Hmmm, further. Workstations took a dive? I wonder how this compares to ATI FireGL uptake.

Regards,
SB

Is Nvidia expecting to pull out a trump card or expecting AMD to let up the price pressure? I'm not sure why they are so rosy right now about margins going back up to the mid-30's just yet.
The large inventory NVidia built up appears to have reduced gross margin by 8-10%. As NVidia has stopped wafter starts (don't know when the stop was activated, though) inventory will fall. Also, they expect the channel to start buying again (as channel inventory has cleared after NVidia stuffed it beyond bursting point last autumn).

The combination of the two is a radical reduction in inventory. So that, alone, will help margin.

What's interesting is that some parts of their current inventory look destined to last into FY2010Q3, i.e. August or later :oops:

Ah, ok looked some more. It looks like they are predicting ION will bring up their overall margins. I guess this all depends on how competitive Poulsbo (did I get that right?) is in power consumption and video acceleration.
I don't think Ion (that is Ion in Atom PCs, not "Ion" which is that chipset in any PC/Mac whether it has an Atom or not) will have a material effect until FY2010Q3.

Jawed

Looking at what we know that we now know, and a lot of other people now know that they know:

"Our ASP’s were generally flat this quarter. And so from that you could argue that people are not buying down per se. There is a very significant factor that is happening in the notebook segment however. There’s the surge of the net book market and you could characterize the net book market as low end. And if I were to just for the sake of my description right now describe the market as high, mid and low our participation in the notebook market has been by and large about the upper half of mid and most of high. And we have no participation historically in the lower part of mid and the low end market".

Interesting that the decline was so flat across the board, with the exception of the heavier loss in discrete notebook sales. Guess they are hoping to offset with Ion to some extent, pretty sure Ion margins at the mid 30s are lower than the previous notebook gpus though. The pressure on Ion to deliver is tremendous. If intel gets its its MCM chips with inbuilt G45 out on time in Q4 is going to be really hard.

[On low cost or netbook PCs]
"I think what’s going to happen is that the low end part of the marketplace is going to cannibalize the mid-range part of the market. And people who want performance still will go for performance. The net book will hardly serve their needs. But for a lot of people in the mid-range part of the marketplace the net book is clearly, clearly going to disrupt that."

So to map that, they are going to put Ion and mid low end GPUs on the desktop plus one performance part perhaps. ie Ion, GT218, GT216 plus performance GT215 as their 40nm chips. Wondering about the current strategy of creating a monster performance part and having it slowly trickle down to mainstream if there is now a big gap between the 2 gpu markets.

Looking at what we know that we now know, and a lot of other people now know that they know:

"Our ASP’s were generally flat this quarter. And so from that you could argue that people are not buying down per se.
I think this is pure bullshit. If the channel is stuffed and the only thing it bought was GT200b, then how the hell are their ASPs a reflection of consumer sentiment, which is one step removed from the channel?

Meanwhile, they're planning to spend as much as $150M buying back options off staff:

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSN1138961420090211

Maybe it's a neat trick: get the staff to refuse the offer, because by doing so they "pitch-in" and help the company weather the storm :???: Am I being too cynical?

Jawed

Maybe it's a neat trick: get the staff to refuse the offer, because by doing so they "pitch-in" and help the company weather the storm :???: Am I being too cynical?
If the buy-back price is significantly lower than the current stock price (which is 99% certain), then a different way to look at it is that it's a much cheaper way than stock buy-backs to reduce the diluted amount of outstanding shares. (Which is the number required by GAAP to calculate profit or loss per share.)

One can question if it's smarter to do stock buybacks than to pay out a dividend, but in a Silicon Valley environment where stock options are a very significant factor wrt compensation, a company doesn't have much choice. If the stock recovers, a stock option buy back is cheaper than a stock buy backs, so the former is a lesser evil.

BTW, it's not always an obvious decision to accept such an offer or not. People often tend to have optimistic expectation about a stock going back to where it used to be not so long ago...

If the buy-back price is significantly lower than the current stock price (which is 99% certain), then a different way to look at it is that it's a much cheaper way than stock buy-backs to reduce the diluted amount of outstanding shares. (Which is the number required by GAAP to calculate profit or loss per share.)
$150M is more than 10% of their cash and cash equivalents - why are they spending anything on stock buy back right now?

They made a song and dance about $35M reduction in OpEx per quarter. Well they've just blown >4 quarters of that saving, if everyone sells back their options.

BTW, it's not always an obvious decision to accept such an offer or not. People often tend to have optimistic expectation about a stock going back to where it used to be not so long ago...
In this case >$17.50 is looking like a very distant prospect and >$28 ? Crudely put the buy back is $10s of thousands per employee.

Jawed

Back