Nvidia GT300 core: Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhmm I'm not questioning the possibility at all that he might or might not have some sort of insider knowledge, but what he said so far doesn't take that much more than common logic. Alas for all 2009/10 GPUs if 40nm wouldn't provide higher frequencies with higher transistor counts than today (yet not necessarily as large die area).

True, but he seems pretty confident about some specifics both here and over at 3dc. As far as samples being in the hands of devs, it seems kind of early for that. Are samples usually out this far ahead of commercial launch (assuming said launch is in late Q3/early Q4 09)

Samples out now would make sense if GT300 launched early. There are rumors of Windows 7 being released as early as june 2009. Let's assume W7 will include DirectX 11 (it's in the rev 7000 beta build). I would expect DX11 hardware to hit around that timeframe if not earlier.

True, but he seems pretty confident about some specifics both here and over at 3dc. As far as samples being in the hands of devs, it seems kind of early for that. Are samples usually out this far ahead of commercial launch (assuming said launch is in late Q3/early Q4 09)

Yeah, G80 samples were out in january 2006 (if memory serves right) also - albeit a bit cloaked to not spoil the unified-party too much :)

Interesting. It seems to have some serious shader power but the rest is only a modest upgrade from GT200. I wonder if the clock speeds will be much faster.

Interesting. It seems to have some serious shader power but the rest is only a modest upgrade from GT200. I wonder if the clock speeds will be much faster.

What i would like to know is if each of those hypothetical 384 scalar processors is merely a "copy" of the ones in GT200's/GT200b's (which, in turn, weren't that much different from G80's/G92's), or if it has significant additional capabilities that make 1:1 shader clock/processing potential difficult to compare against their older siblings.
Not merely in supporting DX11 (if there's support at all), but especially in any new methods to improve per-sp/per-clock current DX10/DX9 code processing efficiency.

At first glance that spec looks quite reasonable. It seems AMD won't be bothering with anything faster than RV770 until Q4, so NVidia should clean up in the performance and enthusiast sectors with this in 1x and 2x chip versions. So, ahem, the sooner in Q2 the better :D

Jawed

256-bit MC means only 16 ROPs so what about AA performance in higher resolutions (1920x1200)? I think more probably it will have 512-bit MC. Moreover is there any possibility to make chip smaller than 300mm2 with increasing ALUs more than 50% and even increasing TMUs?

IF those specs are true then GT212 will be extremely fast (30-40% faster than GTX285 IMO) and not expensive to produce.

IF those specs are true then GT212 will be extremely fast (30-40% faster than GTX285 IMO) and not expensive to produce.

Not to mention that a "GT212 X2" could probably hold off the high-end competition from AMD, at least until "GT300" later this year.

256-bit MC means only 16 ROPs so what about AA performance in higher resolutions (1920x1200)?

This chip must not have 16 ROPs by 256-bit MC. Read the article I have posted:

"Because Nvidia's memory interface refers to the ROPs, these would be cut in half from 32 to 16, too. But we assume that Nvidia either installs eight instead of four grid units per ROP partition, or alternatively uses 32 instead of 64 Bit wide controllers, which would both steady the pixel performance of the chip."

I think more probably it will have 512-bit MC. Moreover is there any possibility to make chip smaller than 300mm2 with increasing ALUs more than 50% and even increasing TMUs?

Yes, there is a possibility to make chip smaller than 300mm2 with increasing ALUs more than 50%, because at GT200 240 SPs uses only 1/4 of the whole die size.

Hm, if this will be the trend with twelve TPCs, then probably ATi's next big one will jump to the same "node" (960 ALUs & 48 TMU)?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back