Nvidia and EA Form an Alliance

NVIDIA and EA will also discuss opportunities to implement NVIDIA-specific features and special effects in several upcoming EA titles such as Madden NFL Football 2004 and others for the PC platform

This is ridiculous. It's like having the cable companies saying that their signal is optimized for Sony technology, and that some channels you can only get if you have a Sony TV set.

Give me a break.

micron said:
I just installed a patch on UT2K3 that makes the game say "ATI"..The Way it's Meant to be Played".....I feel a little better now.........

Mine says "Shutup..... and play the damn game!" ;)

DaveBaumann said:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1020656,00.asp

"The bundling is an exclusive," the spokeswoman added. "It does not mean that EA's software will only run on Nvidia's hardware. There will be some custom work (although it might not be proprietary) for Madden '04 and maybe another title or two down the road, but this is mostly a marketing/bundling deal."

Well NV sure tried to make it sound like they got the exclusive deal. Then again, EA wouldn't say what "custom work" is, so we'll have to wait and see the game before passing out the final judgement.

Even if its only just one game with some Nv specific effects, the fact that all future EA games will carry the "The way its meant to be played" logo on its boxes is a big bonus for Nvidia.

ATI need to start a similar campaign, imo. Improving brand recognition couldn't hurt.

martrox said:
micron said:
I just installed a patch on UT2K3 that makes the game say "ATI"..The Way it's Meant to be Played".....I feel a little better now.........

Mine says "Shutup..... and play the damn game!" ;)
Geez, I searched gamecopyworld.com for that patch but couldnt find it!...j/k

From http://spong.com/:

The deal also mentions that beginning with the next generation of Electronic Arts PC games, exclusive content will be included for nVidia cards, with “…nVidia-specific features and special effects in several upcoming EA titles such as Madden NFL Football 2004 and others for the PC platform.â€￾ Reading between the lines, this seems to indicate that you will be able to play the games using other cards, but they’ll look rubbish.

It’s also interesting to note that the game specifically mentioned, Madden 2004, is one of EA’s key titles for the coming months in the American market, indicating the level of cosiness between the two companies.

Indeed, nVidia insiders openly admit the fact that pitches are in place for a variety of titles to be nVidia exclusive. “Per-title exclusivity is the ideal situation for nVidia,â€￾ we were told.

Personally I do not like this and if this is true I will simply not get an Nvidia board and not purchase products that prioritize NVIDIA hardware over the competition. Graphics companies should be fighting to build the best hardware for the current API's, not creating their own in order to gain market share. I think NVIDIA spent too much time working with MS on the XBOX as marketing schemes of MS seemed to have rubbed off on them.

micron said:
This crap is exactly what we dont need....the fact that the EA team is being supplied with Nvidia cards to program with, only in my eyes proves that the firms future games will be programmed to run better on NV boards. This is a bad trend. I would be just as PO'd about it if it was ATI doing it. Games should be designed, to the best of the programmers knowledge, to run good on all pc platforms. But this is no longer going to be the case....What if the entire gaming comunity fell into this type of mindset?....I would be better off buying a Freakin' console to play on. At least then I know I would be getting the most out of the game I shell out money for. .......F.U. EA Games, I hope this all comes back to haunt you. Unfortunately though, people will buy your titles, not knowing that this type of video card racism is going on behind the scenes....

AGREED!

jpeter said:

The folks who think this is no big deal I agree with. Look at the source of the PR--it's nVidia's, not an EA press release.

This is just a part of nVidia's ongoing PR marketing campaign. I bought my copy of UT2K3 and it came with a nVidia-paid-for advertisement that said "nVidia-the way it's meant to be played." When the game first shipped lots of people didn't understand that this was merely an advertisement--they incorrectly inferred some "special optimization" for nVidia products was coded into the game. I was very pleased to see that the game ran much better on my 9700P than it ever did on my GF4 Ti4600, and long ago replaced the nVidia ad with an ATI logo.....*chuckle*

When EA starts listing on the product boxes the "special nVidia features" their games are coded to support that aren't supported by other hardware, then you might want to take notice. But as long as these PR comments are coming from nVidia and not EA, and as long as the "special nVidia feature support" remains entirely *undocumented* you can safely ignore such PR propaganda. Because that's all it is--it's marketing speak and will have as much real significance as the nVidia logo has in in UT2K3...;)

Back