NVDA cutting orders at TSMC while ATI's increase.

Well, Nv3* aren't that good ;) it's at least time for Ati to gain much more market share. It will be interesting to see the Nv4*/R4** line competition.

Might have something to do with ATI getting contracts with all the big OEM's (IBM, HP, Dell, etc) , and NVidia with none?

Wonder what Nvidia is doing on the OEM front to counter this. Their vanilla 6800 doesn't seem to have any competition right now and they should be pushing that. Things really don't look too good for them ATM.

I wonder how much the IBM foundries can produce for Nvidia? The markets aren't giving this story much play as ATYT is down and NVDA is up. I read this as good news for more R420 AGP parts to retail....

trinibwoy said:
So what are Nvidia's plans to counter the likes of the X300? PCIe versions of NV3x?

They have the bridged GeForce PCX lineup, I don't think we will see any native PCIe NV3xs. I think a four pipe NV4x is on the roadmap.

digitalwanderer said:
The GT is still tough to beat for it's price spot though... (Yes, I said that. :rolleyes: )

The 6800 chips (and X800 chips for that matter) are simply too small volume to have any significant OEM presence. The bread-n-butter OEM parts have to high volume. There are NO 6800 or x800 generation chips that meet this requirement.

It's all 4 pipeline R(v)3xx vs. NV3x based at the moment for the significant OEM deals, and the NV3x parts are looking poor compared to RV36/7/800.

nVidia is basically has little to compete with in that market in all honesty, so it looks like ATI is going to cruise here until the next battle.

The next battle for this space is shaping up to be with the up-coming 8 pipeline variants of the new architectures. NV43(?) (I don't remember which NV4x variant...) vs. the RV410 (or is it RV420)?

At the same time, the 4 pipe variants will make their way to the very low end...very high volume (and very slim margin) parts. ATI will probably stick with a RV370/380 variant, where nVidia might be introducing a 4 pipe NV4x chip?

They're obviously trying something for OEM's until the native 8 pipe chips are out, 6800LE (someone said it was for Medion I think) and X800SE (Dell)

overclocked_enthusiasm said:
HSI 5300 I think.

The Geforce PCX5300 is probably too weak in PS2.0 shading to compete with the X300 series at all. I believe nVidia are not going to waste resources to try to compete seriously with the PCX5xx0 line. They seem to be planning to look forward to the next battle and be back in the low and middle ends only after the cheaper NV4x versions are out.

Lezmaka said:
They're obviously trying something for OEM's until the native 8 pipe chips are out, 6800LE (someone said it was for Medion I think) and X800SE (Dell)

Sure, and some OEMs will also offer even the high end variants.

But that's not where the big money is made in the system integrator OEM sector.

Joe DeFuria said:
digitalwanderer said:
The GT is still tough to beat for it's price spot though... (Yes, I said that. :rolleyes: )

The 6800 chips (and X800 chips for that matter) are simply too small volume to have any significant OEM presence. The bread-n-butter OEM parts have to high volume. There are NO 6800 or x800 generation chips that meet this requirement.

It's all 4 pipeline R(v)3xx vs. NV3x based at the moment for the significant OEM deals, and the NV3x parts are looking poor compared to RV36/7/800.

nVidia is basically has little to compete with in that market in all honesty, so it looks like ATI is going to cruise here until the next battle.

The next battle for this space is shaping up to be with the up-coming 8 pipeline variants of the new architectures. NV43(?) (I don't remember which NV4x variant...) vs. the RV410 (or is it RV420)?

At the same time, the 4 pipe variants will make their way to the very low end...very high volume (and very slim margin) parts. ATI will probably stick with a RV370/380 variant, where nVidia might be introducing a 4 pipe NV4x chip?
Good point Joe, thanks and my bad. :oops:

Wasn't NVidia's stance basically "everything NV4x by the end of the year"?
"slower-than-expected demands" sounds more like NV3x to me, not NV4x. Wouldn't they have to ramp mass production of NV4x chips soon?

Xmas said:
Wasn't NVidia's stance basically "everything NV4x by the end of the year"?

Dunno, exactly. That doesn't disagree with anything said thus far though, so I'm not sure of your point. (Could you explain?)

"slower-than-expected demands" sounds more like NV3x to me, not NV4x.

Right...just like I said.

NV3x vs. RV3xx is basically no contest...and that's what's going on right now and for near future. I also don't think there's going to be mass orders for new chips until at least the new chips are shown to be volume production ready...as both ATI and nVidia seem to have had some production issues this last round...

Later this year I expect it to be NV4x vs. a combination of RV3xx and RV4xx for the bulk of OEM integrator "mainstream" contracts. We just don't know about the NV4x parts to guess on where the performance, cost, reliability, heat, etc. advantages / disadvantages lie. I think we can assume though, that the RV3xx parts will at least be more readily available. It's more or less a known quantity.

Wouldn't they have to ramp mass production of NV4x chips soon?

If OEMs are going to be placing massive orders for them, you'd think so....

Back