NV30 in February? Yes, that would be a screwup

Oompa Loompa

Newcomer
If Anand is right (http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1741&p=4) and NVIDIA's customers won't see chips until January, it is unreasonable to expect board availability before February.

That would make it official: NVIDIA has missed a cycle, and ATI did indeed make the right decision by sticking with 0.15um. And one wonders what effect this may have had upon upcoming products; have NV3x and 4x been pushed back by the same ~6 months from their original targets?

DemoCoder said:
Didn't the same thing happen with the GF3? NVidia shipped Ultra, GF3 arrived late?

It's not the first time.

True, but its the 1st time that the competition is in a position to punish them for it

But up to now there has been no change to nVidia saying NV30 is a Fall product. Which it would appear it isn't now, Anand being a reliable non-official source for nVidia news. Oh well money burning a hole in my pocket look like money well spent now.

When does Fall "officially" end in the US?

Spring and NV30/31/34 have been mentioned together numerous times in personal correspondence. This is clear a case of EEs and Marketing seeing things differently. I know who I am more inclined to believe.

MuFu.

MuFu:

Fall ends in mid-december, afaik. Everybody in the northern hemisphere calls that winter of course, but since when did logic have anything to do with business practices? :)

*G*

Wasn't it clearly stated in the slides that the annoucement is on Comdex and the cards in stores on December?

I'm inclined to believe to NVIDIA more than to Anand... :)

Grall said:
MuFu:

Fall ends in mid-december, afaik. Everybody in the northern hemisphere calls that winter of course, but since when did logic have anything to do with business practices? :)

*G*

Ok, thanks. Damn right that's winter here! :D

alexsok, based on what I know I am inclined to believe those slides - NV30 may well be on shelves, albeit in limited quantities, by late December.

Since the part came back on the 12th I'm sure they are on course to ramp in early-mid December, assuming no multiple-respin nightmare.

MuFu.

Alex,

Believe Nvidia? How many times have Nvidia lied about NV30 being on schedule or even taped out, when it wasn't?

I'll believe them when I see NV30s hit the stores. :)

*G*

To be fair, they are a good 2-3 months behind the original schedule and I don't think "lie" is the right word for something that may have been an accurate estimate of ETA at the time.

MuFu.

I think it would be rather foolish to assume that mass production of NV30 would be in full swing by December, considering the info MuFu provided...

Although I'm positive the cards will be on store shelves by December, I simply have no doubt about it, though the quantity will be a bit limited at first...

DemoCoder said:
Didn't the same thing happen with the GF3? NVidia shipped Ultra, GF3 arrived late?

It's not the first time.

It's not the second time either. They shipped the GF3 Ti, and the GF4 arrived late.

Trend?

To be fair, they are a good 2-3 months behind the original schedule and I don't think "lie" is the right word for something that may have been an accurate estimate of ETA at the time.

Original schedule was August as per Huang at the Merill Lynch tech conference in May, so if the Nv30 is released in Jan/Feb then yes they will have missed a full cycle.

You know I have to say Nvidia has looked totally amateurish throughout this whole Nv30 fiasco, its almost like they want the Nv30 to be released so badly that they lie to themselves and therefore everyone else.

And then they resort to using Anand as a mouthpiece to soften the blow to investors.

Perhaps Nvidia will have several thousand (or maybe just several hundred) NV30 cards on shelves in the U.S. before Dec 21st, just before winter starts. But Nvidia has pretty much already missed a full cycle.

It will be very interesting to see if Nvidia can get back on track with a full refresh, NV35, in 2003. Nvidia is going to look extremely weak if they have NV30 as their spring 2003 product, then introduce a speed binned/tweaked NV30 Ti in fall 2003.

NOPE, nvidia will be releasing in time, according to the korean spectators. In time i mean december hitting shelves. Nothing to worry bout folks, just 1 and half months time we will have nv30 in our hands.

and yes, it'll also be interesting to see where this puts NV40.

What ultimately goes into XB2 (assuming Nv is MS's GPU designer again)
will no doubt be determined by what Nvidia does over the next few months, and really, what they have been doing as well.

NOPE, nvidia will be releasing in time, according to the korean spectators. In time i mean december hitting shelves. Nothing to worry bout folks, just 1 and half months time we will have nv30 in our hands.

I'll believe it when I see it! :)

Nothing to worry bout folks, just 1 and half months time we will have nv30 in our hands.

I'm willing to bet it will be 1 and a half months when certain, small far-east vendors / customers can get it in their own hands, and a month or two later than that when "everyone else" will be able to actually buy one. A very similar thing happened with the original GeForce launch.

Back