NPD: Why should publishers report digital sales? *spawn*

He's not saying Sony are showing hubris now, he's saying that if they do, by disregarding the desires of their most vocal and influential consumers, it could hurt them as it has before.

He was speaking in the possessive, not the conditional.

He was speaking in the possessive, not the conditional.

@bunge Try to comprehend these previous two posts before responding further.

To respond, though. It's pretty obvious what AzBat is saying, We have two generations of console manufacturers taking their core supporters (for lack of a better word) for granted and suffering the consequences. He's not saying Sony are showing hubris now, he's saying that if they do, by disregarding the desires of their most vocal and influential consumers, it could hurt them as it has before.

Thanks MrCorbo, you expained it better than I could.

He wants you to explain your argument. That's the basis of conversation. If you're just going to engage with one liners and links, you're better off not posting.

The argument is equating the feedback MS received from the always online debacle and the potential feedback coming from digital download reposts. It's an absurd analogy. To expect the feedback from both to be the same isn't exactly rational.

Most people that would hear about an always online DRM scheme would be all potential customers. Most people that would hear about digital download sales hang out in the underbelly of Internet forums. There just isn't a way to equate the two audiences.

If people want to believe that their griping HERE got MS to change, feel free. I'd say they're probably too hyper focused on their own personal needs and beliefs, or on meth.

I would argue the vocal minority at that time were the ones supporting MS's original vision for their DRM scheme and having discs be essentially worthless. The vocal majority were those who were against it. And it wasn't just relegated to the gaming media and gaming forums. The amount of negative posts I saw on Facebook leads me to believe that it really was seen as a negative thing at the time by far more than those that supported it. People really wanted to be able to sell their games.

It wasn't an optimal time to introduce it to the market and MS is better for it I believe. I find the solution of allowing consumers the choice of digital downloads or physical media to be much better. People aren't forced into a new model that pisses them off. Give them the choice and clearly we can see many adjusting throughout the years with the growing share of digital sales.

The argument is equating the feedback MS received from the always online debacle and the potential feedback coming from digital download reposts. It's an absurd analogy. To expect the feedback from both to be the same isn't exactly rational.

Most people that would hear about an always online DRM scheme would be all potential customers. Most people that would hear about digital download sales hang out in the underbelly of Internet forums. There just isn't a way to equate the two audiences.

If people want to believe that their griping HERE got MS to change, feel free. I'd say they're probably too hyper focused on their own personal needs and beliefs, or on meth.

No moving goal posts please. The argument wasn't just about Beyond3D but the Internet gaming communities as a whole. So here, GAF, Twitter, YouTube, etc. My post was in contrast to Dsoup who believed that these communities can't affect change & I showed that they can. Would they do so in regard to digital sales reporting? Maybe, maybe not. Depends how bad of light it puts on Sony & if the community gets riled up enough. I've seen stranger things happen.

As for my comment about hubris, it wasn't about what they have now but what they may show in the future. Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough or maybe I should have used a different word but I will say that a few people understood me just fine. If you disagree, that's fine. I will just move on.

BTW your meth comment was poor form. You have no idea WTF you're talking about.

Tommy McClain

BTW your meth comment was poor form. You have no idea WTF you're talking about.

Apologies. It's very common where I come from to jokingly say things like "you must be on crack" when disagreeing with someone. I was just updating the phrase to a modern day drug.

Back