NPD 2015 Yearly Sales Results

Well contrary to what some here believed, I guess Fallout 4 not only did not dominate starwars, but prolly even sold less.

Well contrary to what some here believed, I guess Fallout 4 not only did not dominate starwars, but prolly even sold less.

? Everywhere I've seen Fallout won, but yeah it was slight. Slight enough I would question who really won.

I dont know if it's fair to really count bundles though. Basically if you wanted a $350 PS4 you got Battlefront (or Uncharted Collection, but yeah almost everybody will chose a hot new game over a remaster). I dont count that as a full sale, they could have done the same thing with Fallout instead (if it had a marketing deal with Sony etc) and those 740k sales go to Fallout.

MS had a Fallout bundle but XBO sells less, plus that was a $400 bundle, nowhere near the default SKU as BF bundle was to PS4.

So, we have the U.S. yearly standalone sales for Fallout 4 at 3.6 million units and Star Wars at 3.5 million units. Not knowing the actual bundle numbers (though unconfirmed has the PS4 SW:B bundle at 740-750k), and digital sales not being accounted for, does pose a problem of "who won?". However, IMHO, I don't believe the XB1 Fallout 4 bundle beat the PS4 Star Wars Battlefront bundle. If it did, it would have been reflective in the almighty Amazon rankings and more than likely guaranteed a November/December NPD hardware win for Microsoft.

I doubt the BF bundle sold 10x as much as the FO4 bundle. I would also bet FO4 sold much higher digitally than BF.

I don't think it was quite 10x either, I'm guessing more like ~5x. They sold almost 1.1M PS4 BF bundles. They started pre-orders months before release, and it was the highlight deal in December where BF sales seemingly grew thanks to the film's release.

The FO4 was one of MS's more pricey bundles throughout the holidays. The Gears of War bundle was by far the best selling SKU for MS for both holiday months.

I do agree with DrJay24 that BF probably sold better digitally as it is probably the type of game that people would want to jump in and out of being mainly PVP focused, so swapping discs would be an annoyance.

Last edited:
Fallout will have better legs than Battlefront, me thinks.

I agree, for the next 2-3 years. However Battlefront got a heavy push the prime holiday weeks with the movie in the short term.

I haven't kept up with the sales too much but if what we know is close, I suspect Battlefront is in the lead worldwide.

But really I haven't paid attention so...

PSN Top Sellers for 2015...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/2015s-top-20-best-selling-ps4-games-on-psn/1100-6433989/

U.S.
1 Call of Duty: Black Ops III
2 Grand Theft Auto V
3 Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
4 Star Wars Battlefront
5 Fallout 4
6 Destiny
7 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
8 Mortal Kombat X
9 The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
10 Bloodborne
11 Dying Light
12 EA Sports FIFA 16
13 Battlefield Hardline
14 Madden NFL 16
15 Rocket League
16 Battlefield 4
17 Batman: Arkham Knight
18 Dragon Ball Xenoverse
19 Resident Evil
20 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/01/20/playstation-store-charts-for-december-and-full-year-2015/

EU
1 PS4:Star Wars Battlefront (4)
2 Need for Speed (3)
3 FIFA 16 (6)
4 Rocket League (5)
5 Call of Duty: Black Ops III (1)
6 Grand Theft Auto V (9)
7 Destiny: The Taken King (12)
8 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (New)
9 Final Fantasy VII (New)
10 Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (Re-entry)
11 Just Cause 3 (New)
12 Battlefield 4 (RE)
13 Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege (New)
14 Fallout 4 (2)
15 Minecraft (14)
16 Driveclub (10)
17 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (7)
18 Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (RE)
19 Beyond: Two Souls (New)
20 The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited (RE)

There is no doubt in my mind that Star Wars: Battlefront outsold Fallout 4, during 2015 (on the PS4 anyhow). That movie push... ;)

Back