No more AntiDetector on future nVidia drivers?

breez said:
Hmm, I haven't read too much about the script. Is it possible that the script is disabling valid optimizations too? Maybe that could be the reason why Nvidia is doing this.

Oh, for sure. But no one used the script with games, it was used with benchmarks (where there is no such thing as a valid optimisation). Actually, it was used with games to check if nVidia were lowering image quality... and they did in UT2003.

nVidia are making their cards benchmark results more and more irrelevant. Frankly, even if the next ATI card got whooped by nVidia, who would trust the results?

Quitch said:
nVidia are making their cards benchmark results more and more irrelevant. Frankly, even if the next ATI card got whooped by nVidia, who would trust the results?

Your average Joe who doesn't even know that nvidia is cheating?

digitalwanderer said:
I hate to show off my ignorance, but I hate not gaining knowledge worse....what is the "peter principle"? ....

rubank said:
According to the Peter principal, employees tend to be promoted until they reach a position for which they are incompetent.

Yes, although I might phrase it differently and simply say that under the "peter principle" employees, and companies alike, tend to "rise" to their own level of incompetence, and not far beyond.

:LOL:

StealthHawk said:
Quitch said:

Your average Joe who doesn't even know that nvidia is cheating?

Allow me to clarify, I was thinking of the online community. Then again, even that isn't true if many of the online forums are anything to go by. The number of people willing to jump on the slightest hope that nVidia are still gods and ATI are scum of the earth, is truly sad to behold.

As I've said before, these people will buy the card they deserve.

what i want to know is whats going to happen with the industry . New test shows that nvidia has cheated in almost ever benchmark there is . Next thing we know they are cheating in gl doom 1 . So if we can't even trust benchmarks how will we know what card is better .

jvd said:
what i want to know is whats going to happen with the industry . New test shows that nvidia has cheated in almost ever benchmark there is . Next thing we know they are cheating in gl doom 1 . So if we can't even trust benchmarks how will we know what card is better .

That's the job of the competent hardware reviewer...;) It has been the result of competent people, not incompetent, who have revealed the current crop of information about nVidia that many people do think is relevent enough to skew their purchasing decisions.

Benchmarks should never suffer driver hacks which seek to modify the default benchmark workload, because benchmarks are used for comparative judgements in hardware performance and simply are invalid if one IHV's drivers cut the workload to garner better performance numbers. That is a gross misrepresentation and a deceit and needs and begs to be called out. That is cheating in the purest sense of the word.

Benchmarks also should not be optimized for, even though optimization isn't cheating, unless the IHV does similar application-specific optimizations for > 50% of all the 3D titles that ship under a certain API, for which frame-rate performance numbers are important. Even though optimization deals with ordering the workload for more efficiency as opposed to dishonestly hacking it down to create false performance impressions, it is important that 3D benchmarks accurately portray an average-case performance for the IHV's hardware in 51% or greater of the 3D software shipped under the API the benchmark addresses. This ensures that the benchmark will provide useful information.

But games--games--now, to me they are an entirely different proposition. The purpose of games is to that they be played and not used as benchmarks (obviously.) Off hand, I'd say we don't have to worry about drivers which "cut the workload" for games in general because drivers which do so will enjoy a high probability of being so buggy in actual game play that they would be useless. So I don't think we can extend the definition of cheating in benchmarks to cheating in games, since on one hand the purposes for the two kinds of software are vastly different, and on the other it is likely impossible to cheat a game in the same way you would cheat a benchmark. Games are where the practice of optimization can shine--or not--depending on what the IHV brings to the table.

So, does it matter what nVidia or ATi do in their drivers relative to the D3 game engine? I don't think so. If one or the other company is cutting corners by lowering precision for better frame rates, for instance, the competent hardware reviewer will catch this--or at least should catch it. In glaring instances the general public may well catch it as well. At that point consumers can make decisions congruent with ther own preferences as to the sort of environment they'd prefer to have. But I wouldn't call this kind of thing "cheating" in the same way I'd call cutting down a benchmark's workload to achieve spurious benchmark numbers "cheating." If, for instance, one company proclaims or implies, "We run Doom3 in fp32" but an analysis reveals that the company is actually running the game at a lower precision, I wouldn't really call that "cheating", either. Heh--it's "lying", of course, but still a different matter...;) This is the kind of thing observant consumers and hardware reviewers will eventually discover, and so consumers can make choices accordingly.

But, as far as games go, I think a distinction is critically important: if a hardware reviewer says, "Today we are going to present you with testing information on X-product running UT2K3," but what he does instead is provide a few bar charts featuring the performance of the Antulus Fly-By timedemo, he has not done as he stated he would do. IE, commercial timedemos based on game engines are not "games" they are in effect "benchmarks" and must be treated as benchmarks and not games (since an IHV can code his driver to cheat a commercially available timedemo as well as a commercially available benchmark.)

So with the stipulation that game engine-based commercial timedemos are not games themselves but rather are benchmarks, I'd say that the distinction between games and benchmarks involving these matters is an important one. Optimization in games can be a good thing, but cheating and/or special-casing benchmarks is not, IMO.

problem is the big sites have no clue what color the sky is . Why in gods name would they be able to tell the diffrence in a video game. Look at anand testing the geforce 5900ultra in doom3. He had no clue what he was donig . He also had no way in knowing if the drivers were using fp32 or forcing less when the arb2 path was used.

jvd said:
problem is the big sites have no clue what color the sky is . Why in gods name would they be able to tell the diffrence in a video game. Look at anand testing the geforce 5900ultra in doom3. He had no clue what he was donig . He also had no way in knowing if the drivers were using fp32 or forcing less when the arb2 path was used.

That's right--but all that would tell me is that I can get better info from sources other than Anand...right? As you know, other sites did a better job than Anand with respect to this issue. That's why I mentioned "competent" hardware reviewers. Anand's behavior with respect to this situation is baffling--he did such a good job on the 5800U (I thought) but utterly failed to apply the same yardstick to the 5900U. One can only speculate as to the reasons why...

At any rate, it pays to be discerning when considering a hardware review site to frequent--is about all I can say. Some are far more consistent than others.

Hardware review isn't perfect and never will be as long as it is done by imperfect human beings. However, some do try harder than others...;) It's like buying a washing machine or a car--sometimes Consumer Reports provides an insightful, worthwhile review--sometimes their reviews are written from a perspective I have found does me no good whatsoever. Best advice is to search for a consensus--and, of course, to take your time considering a product purchase as valuable information is sometimes slow in coming.

Problem is the uninformed will go to the big sites and even some smaller sites and be lied too.

jvd said:
Problem is the uninformed will go to the big sites and even some smaller sites and be lied too.

Exactly. The problem is that people think that sites like Anandtech have competent staff and conduct competent reviews, which may or may not always be the case.

I'm going to go off on a slight tangent from what most of you have been discussing.

Please keep in mind that I'm not much in the way of a programmer, so I have no idea if any of this is even feasible. Now with that out of the way...

I'm curious, in Unwinder's article on digit-life he mentioned that the DetonatorFX drivers detected a Direct3D application by the following:

calculates two 64bit checksums using the name of the executable file and a list of captions of all process windows to get a unique 128bit identifier of the Direct3D application

Now instead of altering the drivers, which with the new encryption won't be possible, couldn't we alter the application's executable name and the captions in order to alter the checksum and circumvent the detection? In essence making UT2k3, Quake3, 3DMark03 look like something the driver has never seen before?

I think that this could even be used in another way as well. Using this method could you make one application appear to be a different one? For example changing SamX's Anisotropic filtering viewer to match Unreal Tournament 2003's checksums. Would doing this show nVidia's UT2k3 altered filtering methods? Or could you change another application, such as Humus' fractal demo to appear to be 3DMark03 in order to show any precision changes.

This could also help with benchmark validity, which I remember being a hot topic of discussion around here lately. Instead of having closed benchmarks you could still have timedemos freely available by allowing the user/benchmarker to enter a unique seed for the checksums each time the benchmark is run. Which in theory would make it impossible for the drivers consistently cheat, while still allowing everyone to verify results using the same timedemos.

Well like I said I have no real background in this sort of thing, so maybe I'm completely mistaken on whats possible with this, but I thought I'd share my idea anyways. What does everyone think?

WaltC said:
That's right--but all that would tell me is that I can get better info from sources other than Anand...right? As you know, other sites did a better job than Anand with respect to this issue. That's why I mentioned "competent" hardware reviewers.

I think that you're on the right track, but you're not going far enough. The real problem is that it requires more than just competency to produce a proper analysis of image quality - ie. one with a real understanding of what is going on. To be done properly I believe that it requires experience of 2D and 3D graphics (in a technical sense), and a considerable level of understanding of what is going on 'under the hood' so to speak. In addition to this it then requires much longer and more detailed analysis than that normally allowed for by the amount of time available when constructing a review.

This is a level of investigation that is difficult for web reviewers to achieve. I don't think that there are many review websites that possess people with the appropriate skills and level of knowledge. From the skills that they have it is inevitable that many of these people will tend to work within the industry anyway, and therefore may not be available.

That said, image quality analysis in reviewing has always been the poor relation compared to the task of just churning out benchmark numbers. It is past time that it took its place as a first class citizen, and I think that this is a task that websites are going to have to have to give very careful consideration to in the future if they really want to do benchmarking 'right'.

- Andy.

jvd said:

My view is that if a company is doing this kind of cheating, then they are doing it because they know their hardware is sub-par. If they won't bench their cards fairly, then the conclusion is that their products obviously cannot reach a good score. The company's products becomes irrelevent to me *because* the company itself does not have faith in the performance of their *own* products .

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
jvd said:

My view is that if a company is doing this kind of cheating, then they are doing it because they know their hardware is sub-par. If they won't bench their cards fairly, then the conclusion is that their products obviously cannot reach a good score. The company's products becomes irrelevent to me *because* the company itself does not have faith in the performance of their *own* products .

Yes but how about some 14 old kid that wets his bed. How will he know. He will read a site think he is an uber geek and then tell anyone that will listen to him what card to buy.

jvd said:
Yes but how about some 14 old kid that wets his bed. How will he know. He will read a site think he is an uber geek and then tell anyone that will listen to him what card to buy.
Does he sound like the kind of person many people listen to?

jvd said:

14 year old kids don't know anything about anything. People who take their advice deserve what they get. It's not like 14 year olds have the money to buy top end graphics cards, so they are pretty irrelevent.

If 14 year olds are the market that Nvdia is aiming at with their expensive advertising and sabotage of benchmarks, they've lost the plot even more than I thought.

When I was 13 I knew more then than I do know in programming.

I'm re-learning those things I forgot. :oops:

Kind of silly eh?

Next to test:

Nvidia Detonator 44.90 Emerged

Our valued korean affiliates from Darkcrow have discovered a new Detonator 44.90. They also did a small performance comparison with 3DMark 03 build 330 at 1280x1024 and Quake3. While 44.90 has better Vertex Shader performance the extreme Pixel Shader Improvements from 44.67 are missing.

http://www.driverheaven.net/#article_4173

jvd said:

But it's not a problem for you, right (assuming you aren't 14 and still wetting the bed...;))? The information is available--if you look for it.

What I was trying to explain is that the "problem" as you've defined it is universal and affects all product sales generally in a free market economy. Whether it's cars, washing machines, or 3D cards. Most of the information you see on these things will be marketing based. But the meat and potatoes information on these products exists, and is available for those who wish to see it. We live in a Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) economy and that isn't likely to change anytime soon. It's an immutable fact that most product information is marketing centered--but that's not something insurmountable if a person understands this. Agreed that 14-year-old bed wetters generally do not understand, but by the time they are 24 they will understand much more, and by 34 (or older in some cases) they should have all of the experience required to participate intelligently in a Caveat Emptor economy. It's just the way things are, and it strikes me that knowledge of this is more valuable than pining over the way things "ought to be." (But then I'm way past 14--or 24, for that matter...;))

Back