Nintendo 3DS Games (Footage) Thread

DOA is pretty damn impressive. Nice wide open environments with decent interaction, what looks to be dymanic shadows maps for characters with decent resolution and filtering and 3/4 highly detailed character models on screen at once with full per pixel lighting and normal mapping. The only (slight) disappointment compared to Capcom's top tier stuff imo is the lack of self shadowing which really makes SSFIV and RE look fantastic but this should be 60fps which will easily make up for it.

Comfortably above the launch DOA titles for the DC, PS2 and Xbox and that's a very good start for a portable system in my book.

Many speculated that the 3DS wasn't capable of reproducing the flower scene because of lack of poly pushing power and FP performance for all the physics interactions but that demo puts that theory to rest. If a developer can get one of the absolute pinnacles of PS2 games ported over to the 3DS in a few months and improve the graphics considerably in the process then I say that bodes seriously well for future titles. I was impressed by the fact that the vast majority of the environment looks to be normal mapped and not just the character models, which should mean ports of high end Xbox titles (like Doom 3, Riddick, Chaos Theory) should transition well.

My major complaint? The IQ and the texture filtering/mip mapping in particular. Some of those video segments seem to suffer from serious texture aliasing issues just as much as PSP titles do. I think Faf was the first one to point this out and these new videos only seem to back up that observation.

Are you seriously going to complain about graphical performance for a portable device ? coz battery life may be the more important factor here for people who play a lot.

Brain Stew isn't complaining. He's just giving his thoughts so I don't see what's wrong.

Anyone find the DOA footage too dark. It's hard to see. Well, not hard hard, but I find the darkness of it pretty annoying even in the bright sunny day footage.

Are you seriously going to complain about graphical performance for a portable device ? coz battery life may be the more important factor here for people who play a lot.

I don't see anyone complaining? I'm actually supremely impressed that Nintendo are delivering Xbox+ level graphics on a portable system that should have nearly 10 hours worth of battery life.

There's nothing wrong with discussing the technical compromises made to get there though, to analyse which areas the system and these engines do well and which parts they do poorly. Heck, I thought that was pretty much the raison d'etre for Beyond3D!

DOA footage looks fine here.

I don't see anyone complaining? I'm actually supremely impressed that Nintendo are delivering Xbox+ level graphics on a portable system that should have nearly 10 hours worth of battery life.

There's nothing wrong with discussing the technical compromises made to get there though, to analyse which areas the system and these engines do well and which parts they do poorly. Heck, I thought that was pretty much the raison d'etre for Beyond3D!

DOA footage looks fine here.

I was referring to your comment about texture aliasing. I used the word complainbe ause you use it in your own post.

There's nothing wrong in noting the deficiencies. However, for portable devices, especially 3DS, the more impactful areas will be the battery life, controls and display technologies because of their 'newness'. e.g. Any issues on ghosting, glare/brightness, resolution, etc.

I don't know if people will complain about mipmapping in these games. The 3D effect would receive closer scrutiny by users and press.

I was referring to your comment about texture aliasing. I used the word complainbe ause you use it in your own post.

There's nothing wrong in noting the deficiencies. However, for portable devices, especially 3DS, the more impactful areas will be the battery life, controls and display technologies because of their 'newness'. e.g. Any issues on ghosting, glare/brightness, resolution, etc.

I don't know if people will complain about mipmapping in these games. The 3D effect would receive closer scrutiny by users and press.

I'm well aware of that but producing properly filtered textures with correct mip levels isn't something that is exactly rare in the mobile GPU market. Old low end chips like the MBX Lite manage it without issue and so did the Dreamcast back in 1998, so to expect as much here isn't exactly an outrageous claim especially since it was my (and many other's) single biggest complaint with PSP games. If we see lots of complaints about "teh jaggies" in 3DS games come launch and this issue is in hardware and impossible to work around then clearly, yes, its something that will detract from the experience of most users, at least to some degree. The severity will depend on the individual user of course, as it always does.

Actually, I think your average use will notice, its just that they won't know what is causing the issue. Many complained about how aliased many PSP games were and the root cause of most of that nasty aliasing was texture aliasing due to the fact that mip mapping was borked on the GPU.

Isn't it noticeable because the youtube videos running at a much higher resolution and on being seen of a big computer monitor? Some of the part in Metroid Prime Hunters had textures that look so good that no matter how close I get to them, they don't pixelate or have texture aliasing.

Isn't it noticeable because the youtube videos running at a much higher resolution and on being seen of a big computer monitor? Some of the part in Metroid Prime Hunters had textures that look so good that no matter how close I get to them, they don't pixelate or have texture aliasing.

My PSP Go's 3.8" screen doesn't make the horrific texture aliasing any less noticeable, no. If its as bad as it is on the PSP (and some videos seem to suggest it will be, its still hard to say at this point) then I don't see any respite other than SSAA which may actually be standard in 2D mode.

Hijacking this thread to gather the 3DS games announced so far:

Nintendo's announced schedule:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1581619&postcount=284

Super Mario 3D Land: November 3
New Love Plus: December 8
Monster Hunter 3G: December 10
Mario Kart 7: December 1
Tekken 3D Prime Edition: Winter
Ace Combat 3D Cross Rumble: Winter
Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater: Winter
Girl's RPG: 2011
Kid Icarus Uprising: Q1 2012
Resident Evil Revelations: Early 2012
Animal Crossing: 2012
Mario Tennis: 2012
Paper Mario: 2012
Luigi's Mansion 2: 2012
Mario & Sonic at London Olympics: 2012

New ones revealed @ TGS:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1581620&postcount=285

Today's 3DS press conference saw some major announcements for the system. The biggest title of the bunch was, of course, Monster Hunter 4, but Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata also provided first details on a number of other games, including series titles and original games.

Here's a rundown:

Fire Emblem
An all new entry in the classic Nintendo strategy series. For the first time, the game will have cooperative play. A release is set for 2012.

Shinrei Camera
This Tecmo Koei title from the makers of Fatal Frame was announced a couple of weeks back. No release date was announced today.

Culdcept
Nintendo will be publishing a 3DS entry in the popular strategy series. Omiya Soft is working on the game. A release is set for 2012.

Culchopit
A soccer-themed simulation game from Parity Bit's Hiroyuki Sonobe. Due for release in 2012.

Hatsune Miku Project Mirai
A 3DS rhythm game from Sega based off the Hatsune Miku franchise. Unlike the PSP titles, this will feature big-headed "Nendoroid" style characters. It will also have AR dance performances. A release is set for March 2012.

SD Gundam G Generation 3D
This was revealed back at the announcement of the new Level-5 developed Gundam New Age franchise, as it will be one of the first titles to have units from New Age. The platform was never announced, but today Nintendo revealed it to be 3DS. A release is set for December 22, with pricing at ¥6,090.

Dynasty Warriors VS
This new entry in Tecmo Koei's Dynasty Warriors series has four player competitive play. Release set for 2012.

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
A new Square Enix RPG that's due in 2012. This will have Akihiko Yoshida characters. It's meant to be like an old-school RPG, but will also have AR features.

Friend Collection
A 3DS version of one of the biggest Japan-only DS titles.

Monster Hunter 4 and Bravely Default look very interesting.

EDIT:

MH4...

Bravely Default:

Need a clearer idea of how AR tech is used in these games (if at all)...

Bravely Default looks gorgeous. As a 3ds early adopter I can safely say that I absolutely hate the bloody thing at the moment (made me really appreciate my PSP for the first time in ages. I guess that's at least somewhat positive), but there is certainly lots of interesting stuff coming up at the horizon. (also stuff that suggests the system might be more than just a PSP with a fancy display)

How Did Monster Hunter 3G Sell In Its First Two Days?
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/13/how-did-monster-hunter-3g-sell-in-its-first-two-days/

Famitsu magazine publisher, Enterbrain, are reporting early sales numbers for Monster Hunter 3G, released in Japan last week. According to Enterbrain, Monster Hunter 3G sold 471,055 copies in its first two days on shelves. That’s a bit higher than the estimated 420k shipment suggested by retail blog, Sinobi.

Sinobi pitches in on the situation again, saying that the game has likely sold through a large portion of its initial shipment, ...

Nintendo 3DS system sales for the week were higher than ever. The 3DS sold 378,114 units during the week, which is higher than even the system’s launch week sales figure.

Back