NHL 13 - My annual thread, that no one reads. Watch me talk to myself like a psycho!

sounds great! i might wait to hear how you geel about it after more AI practice. i won't have the time to play with humans in a league. :/

Thanks a lot for the long review! Will maybe even pick it up as I have skipped NHL 12... Never played online, maybe it is time to be really humiliated. Have fun!

I have to warn you, the online community is full of the most foul-mouthed racist white-trash you will ever encounter. If you play with randoms in drop-in games, it may be best to keep your headset off. There are some good people in there though, so once you find a few, just make a club, join their club and stick together.

Club games still have that POV camera?

I think I haven't tried NHL in 3 or 4 years.

And when they first introduced it, I think you could only use created players in Club games?

Club games still have that POV camera?

I think I haven't tried NHL in 3 or 4 years.

And when they first introduced it, I think you could only use created players in Club games?

Yes, EASHL is the name of the club games feature and you can only use your created player. It defaults to that weird zoomed in camera, but you can switch it to whatever view you want. I use the overhead "Classic" view.

The new Connected GM mode is like a multiplayer dynasty, where you pick a real NHL team, play with real NHL players and have all of the GM features, but you can have 700 people in your league controlling each player on each team for every game. I'm not really interested in it, but it's a cool feature for people who want the GM features and online play 6 vs 6 using NHL players.

So as a somewhat related aside, do you think the hockey lockout will help or hinder sales of NHL13?

If anything it'll hinder the sales. It seems there's always a new batch of people that get it after the Winter Classic is televised and when the playoffs start. I'm guessing those are maybe people that were really exposed to the sport for the first time because their home team went deep into the playoffs, or something like that.

The sales are low overall, and I think it's probably mostly the same people that buy it every year. I'm sure some will not buy it because of the lockout.

The new attribute caps by player type are adding a nice new wrinkle to the game. Some people are complaining it kills customization, but I think it'll actually add more variety to player builds because now all of the player types are useful. In the last iterations, there was literally one supreme build that just about every team would use through their entire roster. Now each type will have a distinct advantage, meaning there will be more variety in types of players on the ice.

A dev posted a summary of the attribute caps on the forum, for those that are interested:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/8972923.page

Really enjoying the game. Still haven't seen any obvious glitch goals or massive abuses of game mechanics. Online play has been very good and consistent so far. People are getting their stats up and the game is getting really fast. It would be hard to jump in as a new player with low stats, which I think is a serious problem, and has been a problem for the last five iterations of the game. Still, the gameplay is fantastic. I'm really pleased that there don't seem to be any guaranteed goals anymore.

On a fun note, the physics can be a little bit bugged. I uploaded a pretty funny little video showing my player bouncing off the ice and flying up into the air until he disappears.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/135441873

Back