New Toy: Sony VAIO S3XP

DaveBaumann said:
http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10280643&pid=5

So far thisis one damned neat package - and the batery life is much better than my previous laptop, even though for the most part its higher performance.

About to check out the game performance soon, although I don't expect much difference than from the 6200 TC review.

That processor is quite the speedy sucker for gaming, but the 6200 is well....meh. Do you know if it uses MXM at all? Or some other proprietary upgradable format.

I'm not actually aware of anything that uses MXM yet. Given the size of the notebook, though, I should imagine that this is just a flipchip module with a single piece of BGA memory on the package.

I'm not really hat fussed about gaming performance as it wasn't the purchasing factor, but if it can manage the odd game at reasonable details then it will be a boon.

My laptop feels so crappy now. :(

Then again, 1280x800? Heh heh heh. So little. Soooo little. Centrino in general is one of the best things in years; being able to use my laptop for a several hours straight while hopping on the campus-wide wireless is fantastic.

5hrs on a 2GHz P-M with an 80GB 5400rpm HD sounds perfect. Pretty good screen size, too, though I'd probably end up going to the 120dpi font size.

The Baron said:
Then again, 1280x800? Heh heh heh. So little. Soooo little. Centrino in general is one of the best things in years; being able to use my laptop for a several hours straight while hopping on the campus-wide wireless is fantastic.

The screen is a widescreen display, and although its smaller than my previous one the resolution is actually higher (the old laptop was only 1024x768) so I was fairly happy with that size. In terms of wireless, its nice not to have the card sticking out the side of the machine now, and I get a nice little switch just to turn it on and off!

Pete said:
5hrs on a 2GHz P-M with an 80GB 5400rpm HD sounds perfect.

Battery life was one of the primary purchasing decisions on this one. The one I had previously was my first laptop and my factors for purchasing were “something I can take on press trips and have DX9 graphics†– unfortunately that led me to a desktop P4 system with a FX Go5600 and the battery life on it was poor at about 1-1.5 hours. With such a short battery life it was hardly even worth the effort pulling it out of the overhead cabin on those long haul flights! With this one I have a much better idea of whats important for me in a laptop: small and fairly light, for lugging round airports and events, and a battery life: thank lord for Pentium M!

I’m not expecting to actually get close to 5hour use, though, probably 3-4 hours realistically. I tried it on battery last night and it did last for a fairly long time with reasonable activity (installing apps, a little DVD watching etc) so its looking pretty good on that front.

Pete said:
Pretty good screen size, too, though I'd probably end up going to the 120dpi font size.

I’ve not needed to change the font, and found it fine so far – then again I’m using a 15â€-16†Compaq with a 1400x1050 native res at work so I’ve been trained fairly well with small fonts.

Anyway, I tried the tutorial in City of Heroes last night and that was perfectly playable. We’ll see what RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 is like next!

Back