New Steam survey results

I had thought of making a home media server but I just don't think its appropriate in my case as I have Sky TV and I doubt that it would be compatible with the PC in terms of recording. I could set the Sky to change over at the right time, but its quite a lot of hassle.

No experience with Sky here since I'm in the US, but there's a similar problem in the US with regards to encoded HD cable channels. Although there seems to be some progress being made with regards to Cable licensing (?) the ability for computer add in cards to decode. Either way it's all a bit of a mess on that front. So I still have to use a rented (hate renting) cable box to decode.

It's annoying, but then, once you program your universal remote, it's not such a big deal. Love my old and original Logitech Harmony 880. Heard newer 880's have quality control issues though, shame.

Either way, a HTPC was a no brainer for me since I have a file server that is on 24/7 anyways. So it was win-win to add HTPC functionality to it.

Regards,
SB

Although this could warrant its own thread, the point has been argued here: first (major/AFAIK) game ditching both XP and DX9.

Sooner than I expected tbh, not that I'm complaining. They'll probably take some flak but the DX10-only renderer makes this pretty air-tight, unlike say Halo 2. Min/rec sys specs in that link too.

Although this could warrant its own thread, the point has been argued here: first (major/AFAIK) game ditching both XP and DX9.

Sooner than I expected tbh, not that I'm complaining. They'll probably take some flak but the DX10-only renderer makes this pretty air-tight, unlike say Halo 2. Min/rec sys specs in that link too.

Yes, it's encouraging to see titles finally coming to light with true Dx10+ from the ground up. Metro 2033 will also have a "true" Dx10+ path in addition to a Dx9 path. Rather than a Dx9 path and a Dx9 ported to Dx10+ path. And they've stated the Dx10+ path is quite a bit faster than the Dx9 path.

Regards,
SB

About time they realized Win XP is OLD!

We want games to push our hardware to the limits so we can explain to ourselves (and our partners) why we spending so much money on modern PC's!

I didn't really liked Just Cause 1 because it was getting boring pretty quickly, but from what I've read number 2 have a great chance to find it's way to my HDD!

Yes games that push XP off people's computers is great, but also games that start using x64! Especially given the uptake of W7 x64 compared to Vista's release. How many game clients have an x64 binary as well? Crysis? It would be good to see MMO's being released with x64 clients as well given on average they tend to use up a lot more resources. Vanguard was a good example.

Yeah, here's to hoping for a greater increase in 64-bit executables. I'm still cautiously optimistic that if 64 bit version of Win7 continues to dominate sales, that the next version will transition fully to 64-bit with emulation for anything that requires 32-bit.

Regards,
SB

Will casual type games go Vista only? If its decided that a 5 year old PC wouldn't run the game then would it make sense to cut off XP as its only really enthusiasts which go XP + DX11 hardware and if they're not the target market...

Unfortunately XP is still going to stay relevant in the ultra low end for a few years. You can still buy netbooks with XP installed. :(

Thankfully that shouldn't affect anything we'd be interested in. :p

Regards,
SB

Wasn't Segas Stormrise also DX10- and thus Vista only? I seem to remember it that way. But then: Depends on what you count as "major".

Wasn't Segas Stormrise also DX10- and thus Vista only? I seem to remember it that way. But then: Depends on what you count as "major".

Wasn't Stormrise one of those Dx10 in name only titles? Sorta like Halo 2? In other words, basically a Dx9 path with maybe something Dx10 tacked on. Or just a straight port of Dx9 to Dx10? Actually, now that I think about it, not sure...

Regards,
SB

Wasn't Stormrise one of those Dx10 in name only titles? Sorta like Halo 2? In other words, basically a Dx9 path with maybe something Dx10 tacked on. Or just a straight port of Dx9 to Dx10? Actually, now that I think about it, not sure...

Regards,
SB

stormrise was DX10.1! It was used over at game.amd.com and in the CCC to show as part of the marketing.

it also had a DX9 fallback path I guess..

and the game plane sucked..

stormrise was DX10.1! It was used over at game.amd.com and in the CCC to show as part of the marketing.

Yeah I remember it being used to show how Dx10.1 was faster than Dx10.0. But even with that the game performed poorly for the quality it delievered.

and the game plane sucked..

Big time, the control scheme was absolutely horrible. I didn't believe how bad it was until a friend lent the game to me. I had been looking forward to the game prior to its release also.

Regards,
SB

IIRC, Richard Huddy said something in the lines of the thing that all dx11 titles will have an implicit DX 10.1 or dx10 path.

'Course I now squat about DX programming.

Edit: talked to on the phone a bit so Dave beat me.

Mods: you may delete post

The Feb survey is up, and on a quick note, the Radeon 4800 Series had finally ousted GeForce 8800 line, while HD5800 Series is picking up the tempo in climbing the charts.

OS results for the month. Please note that Windows 2000 is now included in Other and all the OS shares have been retrofited while my data has not. 2% drop for Win 5.x/32bit.

steam_os_1002.png

Interesting, if you add up the numbers the GT 200 series (295, 285, 280, 275, 260) comes in at 7.84% which is still behind the 4800 series at 8.70%. Think it's safe to say that Rv770 has done better than GT200 + GT200b, although not by as much as I'd expected.

GeForce FX 5200 still with a fair chunk. :D I laugh everytime I see that on there.

Nice to see XP continues to accelerate down the charts. With almost 60% on Vista/Win7 hopefully more devs will start dropping Dx9 entirely (like Just Cause 2).

Regards,
SB

Back