New "Retina Display" Macbook Pro computer

My laptop Acer display quality is much better than the vast majority of desktop displays.
I have an Acer 3820TG, bought because it was thinner, lighter, and faster (GPU and CPU) than the M11x, while also having a bigger display and nicer chassis. However, it has awful contrast, and I don't know of any Acer notebook with >250:1 contrast.

Look at any dark image with low to medium room lighting on your Acer. It can't get close to reproducing black. It's this awful bluish-grey. Macbooks and Vaios are pretty consistently in the 500:1 to 1000:1 range, which gives a much better black, and you even get good contrast with certain eeePCs. Most other displays, unfortunately, are in the 200:1 range. You're dead wrong about notebook image quality:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5672/acer-aspire-timelineu-m3-life-on-the-kepler-verge/5
notebookcheck.net is an even better site for notebook reviews, and fortunately they also check contrast. Most Acers are ~150:1, none over 250:1 aside from tablets.
I agree. Other than contrast, I also think it's important to have accurate color presentation. Unfortunately, Apple's recent LCD are not very strong in this department.
I'm not too picky about color, because even 50% of AdobeRGB is enough to produce more saturated colors than 99% of surfaces around the house (and colors that you can't even print). Black, however, is all over the place, including the notebook itself, and we know what it's supposed to look like even without side-by-side comparisons.

Look at any dark image with low to medium room lighting on your Acer. It can't get close to reproducing black. It's this awful bluish-grey.

If there was a problem with black represantation, I would notice it but I have no complaints about bright black. As I said I am very pleased and the quality is there. And it is not only about contrast, black colour, etc, sometimes it is about graininess and smoothness of the picture too. ;)

Graininess is not something that's been a problem with for the majority of LCDs, especially those with decent resolution. Everyone has different preferences, but poor contrast is easily the most identifiable display deficiency after poor brightness and sharpness (neither being a problem nowadays).

What's the model of your Acer?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the model of your Acer?

Click

Well, I realise that your complaints might have something to do with this:

Display

The Aspire 3820TG's 13.3" HD LED backlight display has a resolution of 1366x768 pixels and has a 16:9 aspect ratio. Movies are rendered with a slighter, or even completely without, a black bar. The point density is 118 dpi and thus represents a good compromise of presentation size and available desktop surface. Acer calls the AU Optronics display with a reflective surface "CineCrystal" and promises an excellent presentation of multimedia content.
Click 1

So, "CrystalBrite" vs "CineCrystal".

Acer CrystalBrite LCDs employ the same advanced technology that gives LCD TVs their glossy, deeply detailed display — presenting rich, vivid colour saturation, sharp images and outstanding colour contrast. Use Acer CrystalBrite to get the best visual experience from your notebook. The choice has never been clearer!

Acer CrystalBrite LCDs achieve contrast ratios far superior to normal LCDs. In a room with ambient lighting, the contrast ratio of an Acer CrystalBrite LCD is 36 percent better than a normal LCD (445:1 versus 327:1).
Click 2

I agree. Other than contrast, I also think it's important to have accurate color presentation. Unfortunately, Apple's recent LCD are not very strong in this department.

Is the LCD on the new MBP notably bad in this department? I thought it was basically in line with the competition.

I want one really bad :D

Like most people I don't care much about color accuracy as long as it's not terrible. By all accounts the new LCD looks absolutely terrific.

homerdog, no, it's not bad at all. Macbooks have always had good contrast relative to the competition. I'm just saying that I'd rather have a display with top notch blacks (i.e. 3000:1) at decent resolution than one with decent blacks and exceptional resolution; unfortunately, the former isn't an option. I'll probably have to wait for AMOLED for that.

We were just talking about dpi and limits of what our eyes can see. I'm saying that there's no need for more resolution now unless it's free. Technology needs to focus on blacks now. They actually got it with cPVA monitors, but unfortunately those have bad response time (some pixel transitions take 70ms!).

I hope they can figure that out, or at least make OLED affordable. There's something about inky blacks on a display that just puts a grin on my face...
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Short-Review-Acer-Aspire-7720G-Notebook.8225.0.html

202:1

You just have very low standards for black levels. Your display is almost as bad as mine at blacks. If you had a perfect display with a gamma of 2.2 and equal brightness, a 200:1 display would only be able to replicate its shades from 23 to 255; shades from 0 to 22 would be too dark. To compensate, poor contrast monitors lighten all the darker shades into the range that it can reproduce.

A decent desktop monitor (even TN) will have 1/5th the black level of your notebook at equal brightness. A top plasma TV will have 1/50th the black level, which is roughly the point that we're unable to see the difference between true black.

When I first moved from a crt to a lcd the black level drove me insane, I spent the first few days downloading calibration programs to try and fix it. You do get used to it though as long as you dont continue to use a crt

You just have very low standards for black levels. Your display is almost as bad as mine at blacks.

Yeah, of course, I cannot say that it is ideal. I'm just saying that I don't see anything like the below one.

It can't get close to reproducing black. It's this awful bluish-grey.

This is simply ridiculous. "Bluish-grey" black. :oops:
And please, take a look at such a display with your own eyes and then trust those reviews.

You can't be fully aware what you buy and after that start complaining with your purchase.
If you have so high standards, then why did you buy it?

When I first moved from a crt to a lcd the black level drove me insane, I spend the first few days downloading calibration programs to try and fix it. You do get used to it though as long as you dont continue to use a crt

This was the most striking thing for me with the AMOLED's - during the day, I simply cannot see where the black of the Vita ends, and the black of the screen starts. It's fantastic. I never had a crt close to that.

Of course, if you turn off all lights, then strange greenish algea suddenly come out of hiding, thinking they're alone and safe now.

If you haven't gotten a chance to read the review by AnandTech you really should.

Very informative!

He drops a few tidbits on how Apple drives the entire market forward, kicking and screaming.

AnandTech said:
At each IDF I kept hearing about how Apple was the biggest motivator behind Intel’s move into the GPU space, but I never really understood the connection until now. The driving factor wasn’t just the demands of current applications, but rather a dramatic increase in display resolution across the lineup. It’s why Apple has been at the forefront of GPU adoption in its iDevices, and it’s why Apple has been pushing Intel so very hard on the integrated graphics revolution. If there’s any one OEM we can thank for having a significant impact on Intel’s roadmap, it’s Apple. And it’s just getting started.

A decent desktop monitor (even TN) will have 1/5th the black level of your notebook at equal brightness. A top plasma TV will have 1/50th the black level, which is roughly the point that we're unable to see the difference between true black.

Yeah. My friend has a Samsung D8000 64 inch plasma. It looks perfect with black levels, as in I can't tell if the screen is on or not if you cover up the power LED :smile:

I've seen LED backlit LCDs produce the same effect, but
A) The ones with local dimming are ridiculously expensive.
B) Even the ones with local dimming don't look as good as a nice plasma. IMO of course.

Plus the nicest LCDs can't do a starry night sky very well. You might say that's a pathological case, but many of my favorite movies happen to take place beyond the boundaries of Earth's atmosphere :)

In general, I don't really know the reason why plasma TVs look better to me. Even the shitty ones.

It looks perfect with black levels

This is due to its "naturally darker image" which is generally considered as a disadvantage not advantage. :LOL: Next to the other disadvantages of that technology including heat, price, size, etc..

This discusion is intrusive unless you find a way to build tablets, notebooks, even consumer computer displays using it...

no problem, here's a laptop with a plasma display :D

Toshiba_T3200sx.jpg

Heh, I remember an even earlier Toshiba laptop that had twin 3.5" floppy drives (no harddrive at all!) and a "slimline" (for its time) chassis. It might have been a plasma display on that one as well, I can't quite recall. Black/yellow monochrome is a possibility, although could have been monochrome LCD as well maybe. Not sure there were large-ish (around 9-10 inches?) dot matrix LCDs in the second half of the 80s.

Gods, laptops were insanely expensive back then. NiCd cells for batteries as well. Yummy stuffs, and memory effect... Ungkh.

back in the day, I used to work on a green screen terminal and I had a black mesh screen filter that was great for improving contrast and black levels, I wonder if they would work today

there were machines with like four lines, 40 column unlit LCD, with tremendous battery life from a pair of AA batteries. "BASIC calculators", then "organizers" or whatever you call them, "handheld computers" maybe.

the lack of networking helped. also if any additional storage is available it might be a memory card with 16KB S-RAM. never got to play with such a computer but they look fun. closest modern thing in term of battery life should be e-book readers, which do have a "retina" display of some sort but I'm wary of the slow e-ink.

would it be reasonable to make an unlit, high dpi monochrome LCD these days? :)

Back